“Nice small Italian style food, fresh ingredients”
Review of Red Gravy

Red Gravy
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Gravy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 2,044 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Canal
Transit: St. Charles Streetcar 2 blocks. Canal St Streetcar on Corner. Riverfront Streetcar 3 blocks
Description: Bright and cheereful spot at the edge of the CBD, just across from the French Quarter. Red Gravy is a dedicated Farm to Table restaurant, sourcing most of our ingredients from local farmers, fishers and bakers. Currently listed as the #1 Brunch spot in New Orleans by OpenTable! Our brunch menu is comprised of traditional breakfast items, traditional Italian specialties like our handmade pasta and famous homemade meatballs, typical northern New Jersey/New York dishes and local, New Orleans favorites. Full service bar, cappuccino and espresso available. Come and eat, I always make too much!
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We came because of the high rank on trip advisor, and got a very good meal for a good price. The lasagna was huge (about 5 inch sides, square) and the sauce had definitely been simmering a long time. Excellent. The spaghetti bolognese seemed to have a less "red" gravy, maybe it was a different sauce. Good but not great. Garlic bread was excellent also. Service was a bit slow the time we went, but not awful.

Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here Saturday evening. I had the Tuscan shrimp with polenta. It was fabulous! I was so disappointed that I couldn't eat everything on my plate because I was so full! My husband had a grilled trout with grilled shrimp and he loved his as well! Will definitely be back!

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I had the BBQ Shrimp PoBoy, and my friend had the lasagna. Both were delicious. However, when she asked for a couple extra pieces of bread with the lasagna, it would have been nice for the waitress to have mentioned that they charge $2.25 each for small wedges of garlic bread!

1  Thank wbbfan703
VeraBlue, Owner at Red Gravy, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm so happy you enjoyed your meal and our signature Red Gravy Garlic Bread. Our bread, toasted with butter, olive oil, crushed garlic, fresh parsley and mozzarella cheese is extremely popular. We're happy to provide additional bread to any guest that requests additional. Unfortunately, my efforts to keep the bread handmade, and topped with the freshest ingredients prevents me from offering additional pieces at no charge.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My friend and I wanted a change from Creole and Cajun cuisine and so looked on Open Table as to what the lunch choices were on Easter Monday. Red Gravy popped up and seeing that it was only a few minutes walk from our hotel, we ventured to to go and try it. We were delighted to do so. Very attentive and welcoming staff sat us as soon as we walked in and presented us with a menu which featured pastas and great sandwiches. They also had a list of fresh specials listed on a blackboard. I chose a cup of tomato soup (homemade and delicious!) and the Grandad sandwich which was a huge freshly baked ciabatta bun stuffed with excellent ham,cheese,salami,salad,onion...etc. My friend had the Grandma that featured turkey and was amazed at how good it was and delighted to see that the turkey was unprocessed and real carved turkey. I shall definitely return on my next visit and try dinner there as the dinner menu is interesting. A sweet and cosy little place that really is a find.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

The place opened for brunch at 9am on a Sunday. It's located 1/2 off Canal St. and you'd never happen across it on your own. The restaurant is small but the food was really good. Not excellent as a whole but really good. I had the meatball sandwich which was a french roll with two large meatballs, red gravy, and parmesan cheese. It needed an extra side of red gravy for dipping. My brunch mate had the omlete special with spinch and an outstanding ricotta cheese. Bruch was spendy at over $10 a plate

Been to Red Gravy? Share your experiences!