Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Exceeded my expectations

I like to do a photo safari when ever and where ever I travel. I undertook this one back in June... read more

Reviewed August 18, 2018
craigmwhite
Melbourne, Australia
French Quarter and Garden District tours

Love doing these phototours! Every new city I come to I try to find a similar tour as I find them... read more

Reviewed July 4, 2018
Andreas B
Stockholm

All reviews great shots professional photographer digital camera skill level french quarter photography skills photography class learn how garden district taking photos great tour small group different perspective local history would highly recommend this tour walking tour shoot
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I did two of these photo safaris when I visited New Orleans, both towards the beginning of my trip. I took the French Quarter tour with Chris and the Garden District tour with Natascha. Both tours were great. While American Photo Safari limits groups to about 10 people, my tours were a lot smaller due to the season, 3 and 2, respectively, plus the tour guide (professional photographer). Both tours had an educational component - how do use the camera, where to find the settings, what does depth of field mean and how do you apply it, how do you select your white balance. The tours also focused on how to get the artistic photos, so more than just centering the subject and clicking the shutter button. I learned a ton and have photos that i am very proud of from both of the excursions. These tours were well worth the money and I would recommend them to anyone going to New Orleans.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Even on a HOT July day we had a blast with Chris. After touring the French Quarter with him we have a much better idea of how to use the features on our camera and how to position our shots to get the best photos. What a great idea to combine a hands-on lesson with a historical tour! We definitely plan to return to take the Garden District tour, which is more "artistic" and less technical. Can't wait!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I booked this tour in the hope of learning how to make better use of my camera. I should say up front that my camera is a standard point-and-click model & I have no training in photography whatsoever. After a three-hour session with Chris, I gained lots of confidence in using many of my camera's settings & can now take better photographs as a result. The tour met my needs completely.

The session is not a three-hour lecture on photography; it is a mini-tour of part of the French Quarter of New Orleans with information on how to set a camera to take photographs of buildings & monuments in interesting ways. This makes the learning experience gentle & gives it a purpose. Using some basic techniques, you will learn how to take photographs that are well-composed, interesting & true-to-life. You will also realise just how powerful your camera is & how to use it properly.

Chris is a very good instructor. He is very approachable & always willing to answer any questions - even the embarrassingly basic ones I asked. After the tour is finished, you will be given access to online support materials should you want to learn more. The session may even encourage you to take a course or read a book to consolidate & expand your initial learning.

Thanks Chris, for an interesting morning.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Our guide Chris was GREAT! I love taking pictures but I definitely learned a lot about my camera and how to shoot better pictures. I live nearby but I loved the history about the area and new perspectives of angles and getting better pictures. I travel a lot and my pictures are the best part of any trip. I will recommend this to all my friends that have an interest in photography and this would make a great gift also. I will be taking the tour of the Garden District soon.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We booked this tour as our introduction to New Orleans. My wife and I had zero "artistic" photography experience going in (she brought a 5 year old digital camera and I had my Android phone). This tour was OUTSTANDING. Despite our lack of experience, Chris provided helpful instruction that made us better amateur photographers and enriched our appreciation for the city of New Orleans. I'd recommend this tour to anyone and everyone who wants to gain unique insight into the character and history of New Orleans.