“Very Relaxing, Cocktail-Fueled Tour!”

Southern Hospitality Tours
Ranked #155 of 235 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Southern Hospitality Tours offers unique tours of the French Quarter. We focus primarily on the Lower French Quarter which has more historic buildings, architecture and a more local flavor. We want to show you the hidden treasures of the French Quarter.
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I will say that we purchased this tour through a half-priced Groupon, which only furthered the fun atmosphere of this tour because all 11 of us in our group (also Groupon-purchasers) were locals! Communing with my fellow New Orleanians from all parts of the Metro-area made the time in between the traditional jazz set breaks fly by and very entertaining! Mojitos was an excellent place to start (and not just because we live nearby) and listen to Andre Bouvier, followed by a set by Jayna Morgan and the Sazerac Sunshine Band at the Balcony Music Club. The next stop was live music at the French Market Cafe, who surprisingly had one of the tastiest (and strongest) drinks of the evening. The option to switch to a delicious Abita Draft Beer at some of the stops was refreshing, as well. Next up was the Maison Bourbon, a bar I'd never thought to go into as a local. Their speciality, the 'Satchmo' is a clearly tourist-drink, not packing enough punch for many of us in the group, but the ambience was nice, the building faceted and historic, and the band excellent. The only reason this wasn't five stars was due to the last bar, My Bar at 635 Bourbon. It was nice to dance around at the end of the evening, but not only could I not trade my ticket for a draft beer, when I was served my bottled beer, the bartender knocked it over, watched it run out a good little bit, and then set it upright after some moments without replacing my now-frothy Abita. Weird. The tour-guide Richard hailed from southern Virginia, and I had to give him props for that :) A very fun tour for those who want to sample the music and drinks of the FQ without getting stuck on Bourbon St.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

We planned to go on the cocktail tour because who wouldn't want to know a little history behind New Orleans while having a stiff drink along the way? Kim did a FANTASTIC job filling the group in with insider info (including Brad Pitt and Angelina's residence). Not only did we get a cocktail tour, but she graciously took the group out to the local hot spots after the tour was "finished." We felt like true locals and greatly appreciated her personality and humor. Highly recommend eveyone experience this tour at least once when they are in New Orleans. Thanks again!

1  Thank WhereToNext047
Reviewed August 3, 2011

What a waste of money, thankfully we got a discount through groupon. Instead of $70!!! pp we paid $35 pp, which was a stretch for what we got. I could have sworn it was advertised as 5 drinks, but we only got 4 tickets. Our tour was a few weeks after they starting participating in social media sites like Groupon, so they actually added an extra day- Friday 3/25, to better accommodate people. Unfortunately the tour guides with the best reviews- Kim and Becky, were not giving the tour.
We arrived at the first stop, which had been changed a few days before the tour- they left us a voicemail about the change. I can’t remember the tour guy’s name, but he seemed very overwhelmed with getting everyone checked in, and by the end of the tour he was slurring his words and repeating himself. We hung out there for close to an hour while he got himself situated with his paperwork, then we were rushed along on the tour because we were running behind. Luckily there was an excellent live Jazz act to listen to at Mojitos. We had a lot of hope at the beginning of the tour, then it all went down hill. He started by giving us some information on the area, then after the 3rd bar he was more interested in flirting with one of the girls in the group then leading the tour. At one of the bars we weren’t even able to go inside because it was too crowded! He got us drinks and we had to stand in the street to drink them. I think he got lost at one point because we seemed to be going in a circle. He somewhat redeemed himself at the end, by bringing us to the last bar which had a great jazz band- Moonshine and Caroline. Too bad we couldn’t have found that bar in the first place. The night would have been more enjoyable, and probably cheaper. Oh well, live and learn!

1  Thank tropicalfishdiver
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We went on their Jazz Drinking Tour the first full day we were in the city. It was a great way for us to get acquainted with the French Quarter and experience some good music and drinks. We used a Groupon so this only cost us $35 each - well worth it at that price. The tour consisted of four stops and five drinks between them. We met at Mojito's and had a Mojito while we listened to some loungey Jazz. From there we went to Balcony Music Club where we had a drink of our choice and listened to some more good music. From here we went to The Market Cafe where we got a legit hurricane. Music wasn't so good here, but we were right by the river and enjoyed a nice stroll. Finally we finished up at Maison/Bourbon, where we saw a big Jazz band experience that most people think of when they think of NOLA.

We got a good city history on the tour (we probably covered about 1 mile total distance walking through the Quarter). Becky, our tour guide was very informative throughout. Also, by answering trivia questions, we got more drink tickets. So we left the final stop at about 9:30 with a nice buzz and an enjoyable experience. My only other comment would be that at $35 this is worth it. At $50 I'd probably stuff do it, but I don't know if I'd pay much more.

2  Thank Geiszlah