“Beautiful building but horrible story!”
Review of Lalaurie Mansion

$22.50*
New Orleans Historical and Haunted Walking Tour
Ranked #112 of 371 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Considered one of the most haunted locations in the French Quarter, a peak at this historic mansion (circa 1832) will send chills up and down your spine.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We took a ghost tour while in New Orleans. Our guide told the story of this mansion. I took several pictures and got several orbs in the shots.

1  Thank Tremmy

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We went a haunted tour that took us by the house and explained its history . Was beautiful on the outside, and very creepy history to it .

1  Thank subbabubba
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We went on the Haunted History tour. The tour guide told us all about the shockign history of the house and the alleged haunting. When I got home and started looking through my photos, I noticed one of them had some unexplained bright spots which I am very possibly thinking could be a spirit. I plan to send the photo to the Haunted History tour to get their opinion as they said this frequently happens to people. Anyway, I decided to go back with my husband a few days later to take some more photos and see if the same thing would happen again. He was taking some photos of me in front of the house when some people came by who happened to be staying in the house for the weekend and they let us come in and take some photos in the courtyard. It was an awesome experience! No ghosts the 2nd time (was during the day) but I felt so lucky to get the chance to go inside. It was quite beautiful, by the way.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I am a native of NOLA & lived in a 3rd floor efficiency apt. in this house in 1969-70. I placed my bed backwards with the foot at the base of one of those floor-to-ceiling arched windows so i could see the moon & stars all night. Tourist cannot go inside. You must know the creepy horror true story of the place for it to have any meaning. One of the stories is about a little slave girl who jumped from a small balcony into the courtyard 3 stories below rather than to be beaten by Madame Lalaurie. Go to TripAdvisor's Lalaurie Mansion page & view the photos - the small left-hand one being 1st. Go to the 14th photo. At street level you'll see the large double carrage-way doors that lead to the patio. There are holiday lights on the 2nd floor banister. On the 3nd floor you'll see a single arched window on a narrow wall. If you look just to the left of that wall, the roof is lower & white. In the photo the holiday lights cross diagonally there & just below them you can just make out the bars of the banister of the tiny balcony from where the slave girl jumped. That single window was mine & my front door was at that small balcony. Although I lived there a year & visited the attic (another part of the ghoulish story) I never did see or hear any of the reported ghost. I hope that doesn't spoil it for you.

9  Thank justtagalong
Reviewed July 20, 2012

The Lalaurie mansion was one of the stops on the Ghost of the French Quarter tour with Hauned History tours. It was a perfect night for ghost stories,it was pouring rain and thundering and very creepy. I knew the story of this house before taking the tour and actually went looking for it the night before. Regardless, our tour guide Eugenia was really good and her theatrical way of story telling combined with the atmosphere of the thunder and rain made the story come alive almost. I was definately creeped out. When visiting the French Quarter, check out this house during twilight hours. I also recomend checking out Haunted History Tours while in New Orleans, for the ghost tours and cemetery tours as well. It's well worth it!

1  Thank Missfree_asabird