“Great place to eat and do some people watching”
Review of French Market

Ranked #46 of 371 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Whether you are seeking an authentic Creole meal of Jumbalaya or a romantic candlelit dinner overlooking the Mississippi, this historic market area is for you.
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The market had all the usual crap. The food was excellent and inexpensive. The people watching was really entertaining for us. My husband and I spent a few hours relaxing in the shade eating lunch at least 3 days out of 7.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

The entire French Market is an amazing experience, but my favorite shop was Anatolian Silver. I was looking for a fleur de lis necklace and he had a huge variety. Everything is sterling silver, including the chains, and he cut a new chain for me because I wanted one that was longer than the one with the pendant I chose. Fantastic service and a great deal. Highly recommend!

1  Thank BeckyS1018
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We enjoyed this as it contains two of our favorite things - shopping and eating. We didn't buy too much but we did try a lot of different food. The stalls have a good selection and there was even live music by a young trio. Great afternoon.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love to shop so this looked like a good bet. Most of the tables were tourist stuff and the same stuff, but there were some different things. It was an enjoyable way to pass some time and a nice size - many different vendors. I did not buy anything but had fun looking.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I went here four times in one week. The vendors prices are better than on Bourbon for the same items. There was an artist that I wish I had bought a painting from when I first saw it but someone else bought it first. Best place for small gifts to give to folks back home. Wonderful and cheap jewelry by the "Made in the Ghetto" artist. Oysters on the half shell were LARGE and one of the cafes has Deep Fried Corn on the Cob. TO DIE FOR! Never thought of dipping an ear of corn in coating, seasoning with Old Bay and deep frying. Wonderful! Ate it for lunch two days in a row!