“Katrina with human faces”

Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Bike through the little seen parts of New Orleans with us and take a ride through the rebirth of a historical neighborhood. See not only the damage from Hurrican Katrina, but the uplifting rebuilding; and more importantly, why the neighborhood needed to survive. We'll visit the levee, learn about the musical culture, and meet Ronald Lewis, local historian and curator of the House of Dance and Feathers. Definitely an unforgettable day.
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Reecy took a group of us and showed us both the upper and lower Ninth Ward. She showed us how the flooding was a man-made disaster that magnified what would have been a bad situation into the one we all know. Best of all, she introduced us to bunches of the real people of the Lower Ninth. This is a living, breathing neighborhood, and Reecy did a great job of showing it to us. Bike ride is leisurely on flat terrain. A wonderful morning indeed!

2  Thank Andy G

Reviewed May 22, 2012

The bike ride was wonderful, I loved getting to see the lower ninth in a way that you can only experience. The tour guide was wonderful and each place was meaninful. My only complaint was that the wonderful "poboy" shop was like a gas station and was not the authentic feel as described.

3  Thank Ark_traveler_st
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I really wanted to see the lower 9th when visiting new orleans, but I wasn't particularly keen on the idea of going on a tour bus and gawking. I was thus elated when I read about the Ninth Ward Rebirth bike tours.

I was even more elated when we went the House of Dance and Feathers and Ronald Lewis told us that while he had no interest in exploiting his community for the likes of the big tour bus companies, he was happy to work with Ninth Ward Rebirth, which solicited input from the local community in designing the tour, and provides a more intimate, connected experience.

Our guide, Nick, was very pleasant and good humoured and easily answered questions about everything imaginable regarding New Orleans. As he said at the start of the tour, it is very much a tour about a vibrant neighborhood and not a disaster tour. You do indeed see the destruction from Katrina, and you discuss its impact, but, as important, you also talk about the huge misconceptions that were promulgated by the media about the lower ninth. You also learn about the seriously mismanaged bureaucratic decisions which led to devastation in the area, and you get a glimpse of the reconstruction efforts and potential issues of some of the projects.

Altogether, it was an interesting glimpse of a neighbourhood very different from the rest of new orleans. The bike ride itself is of easy to moderate intensity, and it was especially pleasant on the lovely spring day we happened to ride on.

3  Thank sbojs
Reviewed May 7, 2012

When I mentioned to friends/family that I'd be visiting New Orleans for the first time, I got plenty of suggestions for places to eat/drink, and trust me, I did try and enjoy many of them. But I wanted to do more than that, so I started searching for non-conventional ideas. The description of Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tours sounded intimate, unique and definitely appealed to me. Well, let me say this loud and clear - this tour did not disappoint! I learned so much about Katrina and the history of this area in an upbeat, interesting way. Our group was relatively small (about 8 people) and our guide, Reecy, left a lasting impression. Her knowledge, sense of humor and commitment to the Lower Ninth Ward and its people made the adventure one I'll never forget. As we rode by, so many neighbors waved and called out to her (and us)...showing me that this is NOT a tourist trap, but rather, this bike trip is quickly becoming a welcomed and integral part of the area's rebirth. It was fun to picnic at Ronald and Minny's yard, visit the House of Dance and Feathers and eat a po-boy.....the Lewis family's resilience, spirit and smiles stay with me in my heart, and I do believe folks like them will help to rebuild this community. The bikes are old-fashioned back-pedal brakes, but easy to ride, and the terrain is certainly not challenging. If you're up for a little exercise and want to truly FEEL New Orleans, DO NOT MISS this tour. It was everything the good reviews before me said....and MORE! Thank you, Reecy, for memories that will last a lifetime.

1  Thank GoinBackSoon
Reviewed May 6, 2012

This was a great tour! Not only is it a great way to see a part of this fantastic city, but a real eye-opener as well. Our tour leaders, Keith and Reecy were warm, friendly, funny and passionate! You can tell in an instant when they talk about this town and about the Ninth Ward neighbourhood and community that there's a lot of love that goes into these tours. There were plenty of stops on the way to explain how the community is now rebuilding, plus we saw Fats Domino's house! I'd say my favourite part was visiting Ron Lewis at the House of Dance and Feathers, and the sandwiches from Cajun Joe's. It's a great way to spend a day, and I'd recommend it to anyone visiting New Orleans that want to learn more about this beautiful city.

1  Thank Kelli T