“Casual”

Cuisines: Bar, Pub, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television
Neighborhood: Algiers
Description: As a traditional English pub, the Crown & Anchor serves as a meeting place for friends and neighbors. The walls and ceilings are filled with items collected over several years, most imported from the UK. The Pub has a great selection of draught beer, scotch, mixed drinks and bottled beer. The popular Thursday night Pub Quiz and Darts are all added attractions.Take The Canal Street Ferry - 1 block from the ferry landing. 200 Pelican Ave, at the intersection of Bouny. Hours: Sun-Thurs-11am-Midnight, Fri-11am-till, Sat-11am-till,
Manchester, Connecticut
“Casual”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Took the free ferry from Canal St over to Algiers. Walked the levee and into the neighborhood. Had a beer in a very relaxed atmostphere. Popular spot for the locals who bring their dog(s) in with them. There were 5 dogs in the pub at the time. Not sure about the food, did not have any, but a good place to rest your feet and drink.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank daviddQ8181ES

Birmingham, Alabama
“When in Algiers...”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stopped in here after our tour of Algiers, and we really liked it. You could tell it was a local's spot, which was fun. We were there at the right time to try some special, limited quantity beer, which my friend had. She enjoyed it. I had a whiskey sour, and whew! It had quite a bit of whiskey in it. The atmosphere is awesome, with dogs walking around and greeting you. If I ever find myself in Algiers again, I'd go back!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Fleurty323
Walton-On-Thames, United Kingdom
“A little gem away from madness of Bourbon Street”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I stumbled across this little gem during a walk around Algiers. We walked in at lunchtime to see several locals all watching the NFL game between New Orleans and Buffalo. I think we walked out about 3 hours later. Neil, the owner and the locals were really friendly and very interesting to talk to. Neil's got a great selection of English beers; I was very surprised to see he had Fuller's on tap. We couldn't purchase food, but the locals had made various dishes for people to eat during the game, and we were invited to help ourselves - for free! The food was great. I wish Neil the very best in making his venture a success and would recommend this pub to any ex pats spending some time in New Orleans. Tim and Jayne Redmond, Surrey, England.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank 33TimR33
New Haven, Connecticut
“Dinner Only; TARDIS; Dog friendly; Check Ferry Times”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The entrance to the pub was the TARDIS from the British TV show Doctor Who, which was part of the reason we made the ferry trip over to this pub. The other reason was to have what everyone claimed was authentic British pub food. The bar was dog friendly and several pups were there while we were. This seems to be a regular thing even though we were there in the middle of the day, so if you don't like dogs I'd skip this bar. If I lived there or was in town for several days I would come back (and would bring my Border Collie). It was a nice quiet break from the business of NOLA.

Their website said they offered food but they told us they weren't serving while we where there, it was only for dinner. The ferry stops running at a little after 8PM so it would be a quick trip over if you were planning on pub food to go with your beer. Make sure to check the schedule BEFORE you leave, I was told they are cutting back the ferry hours because of funding issues. The ride is free from both shores and leaves every leaves every 15 or so minutes, though we never had to wait for either trip.

Beer selection was good for authentic English beers, which made my spouse happy. The beer prices were good for where we live in Connecticut (NYC area), but about average for NOLA. The staff and locals both were very friendly. The pub is pretty small with only a handful of tables but was decorated like you would think an English pub would be. A picture with the TARDIS is a must for any anglophile.

• Visited August 2013
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
“Nice People, Good Drinks”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

The bartender and the locals at the The Crown and Anchor are very pleasant people. There is a family atmosphere here that shows how much the people in Algiers care about their community and each other.

The pub has a variety of specialty cocktails and local beers like NOLA and Abita. This place is perfect if you want to get away from the craziness and just have a good drink with good people.

Visited July 2013