“Great guide made all the difference.”

Save Our Cemeteries
Ranked #43 of 243 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Save Our Cemeteries is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in New Orleans. Our mission is to preserve, protect, and promote the historic cemeteries of New Orleans through restoration, education, and advocacy.
Reviewed May 8, 2016

I learned a great deal in 2 hours about the history of new Orleans, funeral practices, medical practices of the past and religious and spiritual history of the City. Our guide, Tony, was amazing and as I eavesdropped on a few other tours as they went by, I could tell that we were getting a much better tour than others. We did this tour early in our visit to NO, and it informed us throughout our stay. Take it early in the morning though. It gets hot in the afternoon.

Amanda W, Manager at Save Our Cemeteries, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2016

Thank you so much for your review and kind words regarding your tour. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)
All reviews
"interesting stories"
in 18 reviews
"nola history"
in 13 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 21 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2016 via mobile

I chose this tour because I like the cause that it supports. Sabine was our tour guide, and she was just excellent. Touring cemeteries is something I look forward to on every vacation and of course everyone knows New Orleans is one of the most special cities of the dead in the world. Sabine was informative with lots of historical knowledge about the residents and also about the tombs themselves-- creation, decoration and maintenance. it's a relaxed walk, wouldn't be hard for anyone, and lots
of places to get some shade. The only thing I would change is getting to spend some time alone roaming to take more photos but understandably this is not allowed due to diocesan rules. I would hire Sabine to take me to all the cemeteries
if possible-- Her respect for the residents is lovely. Some of the other tour guides we passed were more glib and boisterous which isn't my style. This mortician give the tour five caskets out of five!

Reviewed May 5, 2016

This was such a cool experience. I loved the idea of doing the St. Louis no. 1 tour with Save Our Cemeteries because the money I paid goes toward the upkeep of the cemeteries. These "cities of the dead" are incredible and our tour guide, Antonino was a lot of fun to listen to. He gave us a lot of really cool history about the cemeteries. We had a couple of other groups walking by doing tours with different companies during our tour and I could tell that our guide had more knowledge than any of them did. We loved our tour and our guide!

Plan on standing around for a good 1.5-2 hours. It's a long but very interesting tour. Take the earliest tour you can. We were lucky and had cloud cover, but it still got pretty hot.

Reviewed May 5, 2016 via mobile

Our tour guide Michael was wonderful. It was a great Tours of that cemetery. Plenty of time to take pictures, informative and very interesting stories! Highly recommend and cost is very reasonable and goes to preserving the cemeteries. Wear a hat and bring sunblock. There is some shade but not covered most of the time. You can buy water or other beverages at the entrance so you don't have to carry them all day before. A great way to just do a cemetery tour. Other more commercial companies take you around the Quarter as well which for your first day is great, but by the end if you have done that already this is perfect.

Amanda W, Manager at Save Our Cemeteries, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2016

See more reviews
Reviewed May 4, 2016

I went early on a Saturday morning and met at the designated spot for the Saint Louis No. 1 tour. After seeing throngs of people with other tour groups, I was glad that I was with a smaller tour group of only about 14 people. Our guide was enthusiastic and informative. I'm not going to tell any of the stories because you should hear them on your own tour, but I was very pleased with the depth and expansive knowledge of our tour guide about who was in which crypt and what was important about them. I was surprised to see several crypts marked in French as soldiers of Napoleon Bonaparte. Those soldiers seemed to each have reached a degree of notoriety, respect, and wealth in NOLA before they went on to meet their maker. I liked the Save Our Cemeteries concept because a lot of those crypts need repair and there is no family left to care for the graves. The idea of some of my tour price going back to support the cemeteries seemed like a noble concept to me. I would whole heartedly recommend that if you tour a cemetery in NOLA, choose this tour group to lead you around. I would recommend allowing 2.5 hours for a cemetery tour. Wear sturdy walking shoes, no flimsy flip flops, and don't forget to sunscreen yourself and grab your sunglasses.

Amanda W, Manager at Save Our Cemeteries, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2016