“If you are going to take a cemetery tour...take this one”

Save Our Cemeteries
Ranked #20 of 224 Tours in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Save Our Cemeteries is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit in New Orleans. Our mission is to preserve, protect, and promote the historic cemeteries of New Orleans through restoration, education, and advocacy.
Torrington, Connecticut
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“If you are going to take a cemetery tour...take this one”
Reviewed March 5, 2013

There are so many tours in New Orleans to choose from. This one is not heavily advertised, but I am so glad I found it. If you are going to take a cemetery tour - take this one. First of all, most of the money goes towards cemetery preservation in New Orleans, which is a very worthy cause. The tour guides are knowledgable volunteers who give a factual and research based information. They promote respect for the tombs and those that rest there. Our tour guide was a local who had first hand information on family tombs and the burial process. We saw many other tours in the cemetery while we were there, but from what I heard, those tours offered tall tales and worse yet, encouraged vandalism on the tombs. I really felt good about this tour and I hope more people will learn about this tour and take it to support their good work.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank snowcraig75

Tamworth, Australia
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great way to learn more about these fascinating places”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I don't do a lot of "touristy" things when I'm travelling. I prefer to be the master of my own destiny and run my own timetable. So for me to undertake a tour, it has to be a good one. This tour served two important functions for me. It gave me insight into the culture and social mores of burials in New Orleans and gave money to vital cemetery restoration.

Our guide was knowlegeable, insightful and very competent. She had a lovely sense of humor. She was happy to answer questions, presented her information clearly and factually but gave a human spin on everything she talked about.

Would not hesitate to do a similar tour with this organisation - they also do tours of the La Fayette cemetery in the Garden District.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Janie K
Guelph, Canada
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nice balance of education and entertainment”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

My husband and I took the St. Louis Cemetery #1 tour on an unseasonably chilly January morning, but we quickly forgot the cold. Our guide did an excellent job of sharing the historic background of the cemetery and injecting human interest stories that made the history come alive. The cemetery would have been a fascinating place to visit on our own, but the tour greatly enhanced our experience. When the tour ended, our tour leader and the rest of our group left, but we stayed on and explored some more, seeing things we never would have noticed if it had not been for the tour.

Visited January 2013
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great way to see and help New Orleans cemeteries”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My dad and I took the St Louis Cemetery #1 tour today and enjoyed it immensely. Our tour guide (forget his name, sorry!) was very friendly and well-informed. The tour started in a lovely museum-like building where we were given a run-down of the cemetery's creation and history. We walked through at a good pace and learned all about the burial practices of various types of crypts and tombs. We were also shown several notable tombs including Marie Laveau's and some others who were pivitol in the architecture and city life of NOLA. The tour was very factual and did not rely on the tourist traps that "haunted" cemetery tours do. But it is still incredibly interesting and wasn't at all boring. Also, the company is not-for-profit and 90% of proceeds go to restoration of the actual cemeteries. This is a wonderful way to learn about the oldest cemetery in the US and we highly reccomend it.

1 Thank radishson
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very good tour, knowledgeable and friendly”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We tried to go on the free tour from www.freetoursbyfoot.com/neworleans/ but when we showed up at the cemetery, the group was "full" and wouldn't take on the 4 of us. Their tour director was very snippy and told us we had to register online ahead of time. Their website is not very clear about this, and we were left trying to figure what to do next.

Luckily the SOC tour was just starting as well, and the tour guide said he'd be happy to show us around and let us join their group. The walk through the graves was very informative, thoughtful and respectful. A must do for any New Orleans trip.

Visited June 2012