“Friendly staff, food made with love”
Review of The Grocery - CLOSED

The Grocery
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Neighborhood: Garden District
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed August 13, 2014

Came here after exploring some of the houses in the Gardent District and had some great sandwiches. The two people behind the counter were clearly passionate about the food and helped us decide what we should order. I had to ask a few annoying questions about the special because I'm pregnant. As we were finishing up, the guy behind the counter brought over a brownie sundae with a little flag in it that said, "Congrats!". This was incredibly sweet and though I wasn't particularly in the mood for dessert at the time, that brownie was the bomb! You could taste the chunks of chocolate and it was a nice balance of bittersweet and dark...and sentiment made my day.

1  Thank Erin L

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Offering some of the best sandwiches and soups in New Orleans The Grocery is located on St. Charles Avenue at the edge of the Garden District. Prices are reasonable, food is very good and you can eat outside on the Avenue or inside (check out the original art on the walls). The gumbo is one of the best in New Orleans. For dessert try one of their homemade brownies. Tharrison and Marcy offer excellent service – if in doubt, ask for their advice on what to order.

Denver Mullican

3  Thank Denver_Mullican
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Ok, please do not turn around and leave when you walk in this place. Their food is very good for what the outer appearance may tell you. I had to walk up to the guy behind the counter to tell him that the gumbo I had ordered was the best I had eaten in our one week trip to New Orleans.

1  Thank Dean O
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

There is a sign right where you order your food that says "if you receive your food in 15 minutes it will be a miracle"! They are right. Although it is a busy place, it should not take 40 minutes to get one BLT sandwich! People that walked in after me were receiving their food! The sandwich was very puny for $6.00. The bacon that was on it was very crumbly not strips! It was good but no mayo or anything, just lettuce and tomato. Not worth $6.00 and not worth the wait!!! Outside seating available. Oh...I have to add that when I paid for my food the guy was very apologetic about the wait... That was nice!!!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I must confess, I’ve not eaten here (other than a bag of chips to go) as we always tend to stop after eating at Commander’s Palace. I can say all of the sandwiches I’ve seen made from here look great and the people I’ve spoken with say they are quite tasty.

We tend to stop here to have a beverage and sit outside and watch the world go by. This is a great place to stop and prepare yourself with liquid refreshment before the “long” journey back to Canal Street.