“Don't let the place scare you”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Grocery - CLOSED

The Grocery
Cuisines: American, Delicatessen
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Neighborhood: Garden District
Syracuse, New York
“Don't let the place scare you”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Ok, please do not turn around and leave when you walk in this place. Their food is very good for what the outer appearance may tell you. I had to walk up to the guy behind the counter to tell him that the gumbo I had ordered was the best I had eaten in our one week trip to New Orleans.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dean O

Lake Charles, Louisiana
“Long wait!!”
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

There is a sign right where you order your food that says "if you receive your food in 15 minutes it will be a miracle"! They are right. Although it is a busy place, it should not take 40 minutes to get one BLT sandwich! People that walked in after me were receiving their food! The sandwich was very puny for $6.00. The bacon that was on it was very crumbly not strips! It was good but no mayo or anything, just lettuce and tomato. Not worth $6.00 and not worth the wait!!! Outside seating available. Oh...I have to add that when I paid for my food the guy was very apologetic about the wait... That was nice!!!

Saint Louis, Missouri
“A nice place for a beverage and more”
Reviewed March 30, 2014

I must confess, I’ve not eaten here (other than a bag of chips to go) as we always tend to stop after eating at Commander’s Palace. I can say all of the sandwiches I’ve seen made from here look great and the people I’ve spoken with say they are quite tasty.

We tend to stop here to have a beverage and sit outside and watch the world go by. This is a great place to stop and prepare yourself with liquid refreshment before the “long” journey back to Canal Street.

• Visited March 2014
Inverness, Florida
“Great Lunch”
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

After a morning of sight seeing we had worked up quite the appetite. We found "The Grocery"on Google. The Grocery is small, has about 5 inside tables and about 5 out side tables. It is located next to street car stop. They had a small but good selection of cold adult refreshments. Their Gumbo was great. Sandwiches are made to order. I had the shrimp club. It was good and worth the money.

Mayville, Wisconsin
“Friendly and great advice on what to order”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Never been there before, so had them coach us. We ended up with a paninni like muffuletta, delish and a roast beef poorboy that was outstanding. Not sure which was better! Very friendly, answered my questions and gave a good recommendation for tomorrow breakfast.