“Entertaining on a rainy day”

Southern Food and Beverage Museum
Ranked #121 of 371 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: The Southern Food & Beverage Museum is a nonprofit living history organization dedicated to the discovery, understanding and celebration of the food, drink and the related culture of the South. While based in New Orleans, the Museum examines and celebrates all the cultures that have come together through the centuries to create the South’s unique culinary heritage. SoFAB also hosts special exhibits, demonstrations, lectures and tastings that showcase the food and drink of the South.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

My husband and I visited the Suothern Food & Beverage Museum recently on a rainy day in New Orleans. We had a hard time finding it. It's located in an old mall called the Riverwalk that from the outside didn't look like it wasw open. We found out from someone later that the mall may be closed in the near future, but I'm not sure if this is true. The Museum had some interesting information, but overall was just average. After walking through it once it's not somewhere I would return again.

1  Thank Hilary_Bryant

Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had visited shortly after the exhibit opened and enjoyed the history and paraphernalia from the history of cocktails in America. The bar rescued from Katrina was well restored also. Worth the visit!

3  Thank Carla N
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I must first say I was a bit dubious of this museum when we figured out it was in the Riverwalk Mall (that being said, the curator said they were moving locations very soon as the Riverwalk is being turned into an outlet mall in 2013). Given the location, I was suspecting this would be little more than a tourist trap. I could not have been more mistaken!

I found this museum delightful. I thought they did a very thoughtful job of presenting information about southern food, including not only information about southern dishes (e.g., gumbo) but also ingredients (e.g., sugar, okra). The museum also did a good job of balancing a focus on the current state of food (e.g., a mention of the importance of seafood and the health of the Gulf of Mexico) while discussing the history and why southern food has evolved as it has. I would definitely make this a part of any foodie tour/trip to New Orleans.

One word of warning - there is a LOT of reading in this museum. This is NOT a museum for children.

1  Thank afreudgirl
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This quaint museum is tucked away at the end of the food court on the River Walk. We had finished the Cemetery/Gris Gris tour and decided to stop by the River Walk for lunch. The museum is relatively small but it is packed with a variety of memorabilia that ranged from vintage refrigerators, stoves, and cooking appliances. It had photographs, videos, and narratives describing the culture of cooking over the past several decades. There was also an impressive Museum of the American Cocktail section on bars and alcoholic beverages. We enjoyed browsing the many displays. I was particularly pleased with the display on the Domino Sugar Refinery. My father worked at the Baltimore refinery for 40 years. There is a lot of reading so plan to spend a couple of hours there. Small children would probably lose interest quickly. You can take photographs anywhere in the museum. There was no cooking demonstration when we were there but we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. I understand the museum is searching for a larger location. That would give it the ability to spread out the exhibits. It was well worth the small $10.00 admission price.

1  Thank Robert P
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We enjoyed a culinary history lesson and demo on Jambalaya. Toured the museum while our dish simmered. Looking forward to taking folks there when they move to their permanent location.

3  Thank barbhc86