“yum” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Domenica

Domenica
Reserve with OpenTable
Domenica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,918 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Canal Street
Description: Domenica is a contemporary and inviting Italian restaurant that creates regional Italian dishes with southern and middle eastern influences. The cuisine combines Chef Alon Shaya's Israeli heritage and love of local ingredients with a menu that reflects his time spent cooking and living in the small towns of northern Italy.
Virginia
“yum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

My co-worker and I had seen this restaurant given high marks in Bon Appetit magazine, so we decided to give it a try on our business trip to New Orleans. She was enamored by the review (and the pic) of the Roasted Cauliflower with sea salt & whipped goat feta. I'm not a huge cauliflower fan, but I humored her. I thought it was nice; she thought it was delish and ate most of it herself.

In addition, we shared:
• Covey Rise Baby Greens — a salad with peaches, goat cheese & crispy prosciutto (very good)
• Burrata — an amazing cheese made from mozzarella and cream, served with with basil pesto, wood roasted tomatoes & toasted focaccia (oh, my goodness, that cheese ...)
• Fried Tuscan Kale with lemon & parmigiano reggiano (could I have more, please?)
• and a special small-bite appetizer of tender pork over polenta (not on the menu to include here — it was the least-amazing of everything we ordered)

Delish from start to finish. Great, friendly service. Can't say enough about it.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

• Korean first
Smyrna, Georgia
“Yes, there is good Italian in New Orleans...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Good food can be found anywhere, yo just have to look. In New Orleans it is not hard to find. But traditional NO food can be heavy. Sometimes it is wise to take a break from the traditional and enjoy other kinds of delicacies. Domenica in NO is that kind of place. I enjoyed the roasted carrot pizza so much! It was mild and tasty and delicious, and by the way, not traditional Italian either. I enjoy food that is good and I don't think it is necessary to stick with tradition all of the time. The only thing that I didn't like about this restaurant was the noise.

• Visited July 2013
Memphis, Tennessee
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Overpriced, bland food.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

We ordered the rabbit tagliatelle, squid ink tagliolini, bresoala, and spicy lamb meatball pizza. The only thing that had much flavor was the bresoala, but at 12$ for a couple slices it was hardly worth it. The place was noisy too. Our waitress was barely audible yet she didn't feel the need to adjust her volume when asked to repeat herself. The decor was pretty nice but I don't pay money at a restaurant for interior design. The reality is this: Why bother with this when plenty of other places highlight the local and regional cuisine.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Suboh
Chambersburg, PA
“Italian Restaurant or High-End Pizza Parlor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Looked at a magazine we found in our room at our hotel wherein this place was touted as a great Italian Restaurant owned by John Besh. Once again, we (my wife and I) bought into the hype only to be sorely disappointed. We were looking for some good old northern Italian spaghetti accompanied with some pork/beef meatballs and some Fettuccine Alfredo with shrimp; however, neither was available. Now, if we would have been interested in some fancy (delicious looking) pizza, that might have been another story, but we weren't. That said, I must give props to the hostess (wish I could remember her name) who sensed our disappointment and went to great lengths to ensure we ended up with something to our liking, to whom we remain indebted. She asked the kitchen to prepare an entree of clams marinara over linguine for me (the linguine turned out to be flat noodles, which were okay) and a dish of spaghetti and meatballs for the wife. Her spaghetti appeared sans any meatballs and the sauce on the spaghetti (and my linguine) was extremely bland and near flavorless; however, we were both starving at that juncture and were grateful for the nourishment. Suffice it to say, this is not what we were looking for but we appreciated the effort these folks put forth...

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Big Lake, Minnesota
“Italian in NOLA?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

I wouldn't go back to this restaurant again but it has nothing to do with the food or service. Both were good. The pizza was ok, some different combinations like the Spicy Lamb Meatball Pizza. Homemade pasta and house made salumi. They it dawned on me. I'm in New Orleans and I sitting here eating a pizza and antipasti I could get anywhere. The restaurant is extremely crowded during there "Happy Hour" which runs from 3pm to 6pm then they transition into more of a traditional dinner crowd. The restaurant is noisy. If you are in the mood for pizza or italian and you are in NOLA, ok, this would be fine. If you are...you are also crazy.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Domenica? Share your experiences!