“Classic Italian-style pizzas - go during Happy Hour”
Review of Domenica

Domenica
Reserve with OpenTable
Domenica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,939 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Canal Street
Description: Domenica is a contemporary and inviting Italian restaurant that creates regional Italian dishes with southern and middle eastern influences. The cuisine combines Chef Alon Shaya's Israeli heritage and love of local ingredients with a menu that reflects his time spent cooking and living in the small towns of northern Italy.
Wembley, United Kingdom
“Classic Italian-style pizzas – go during Happy Hour”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Great happy hour bargains, including ½ price pizzas and ½ price well drinks. Happy Hour is from 3-6pm (we went on Father’s Day).

For a party of 3, including 3 margaritas each, the bill came in around 70 dollars – amazing value. My pizza was so large, I took half of it back to my hotel for lunch the following day. If you don’t like the pizza choices on offer, they seemed very flexible with the ingrediants.

The pizza is classic, Italian-style (ie, thin crust, not too much cheese). Yum !

2 Thank Wembleygal

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Great happy hour”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went June 24 for happy hour. Pizzas are 1/2 off as are the drinks. This seems to be local knowledge, as it was not listed on the menu at a discounted price (though we certainly didn't complain). This place has great food and I highly recommend giving it a try. If the bar is full, they will sit you in the dining area and honor the happy hour pricing.

Saratoga Springs, New York
“Blown away”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

After researching many dining options for NOLA we wanted 1 special night of dining and also wanted to try out a restaurant by John Besh. We decided on Domenica and were able to make a reservation via OpenTable. The night of our meal we were promptly seated in a bustling and glamorous setting. The menu looked great and the wine menu was adequate. We tried to order 1 bottle and they were out of it (the waiter admitted they were out of a lot of bottles that were on the list). Thankfully the waiter was able to make a recommendation that was similar to what we wanted and was very knowledgeable while doing so which made me (a winemaker) comfortable with his recommendation. He was spot on and was for the rest of the night thru dinner service. We ended up ordering the lasagna Bolognese, rigatoni, squid ink pasta, 2 pizzas and the fried Tuscan kale for 4 of us. We were shocked to find out that the food came out super quick which might have been a little too quick as we wanted a nice slow paced meal but it wasn't a huge deal. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of the pizzas as we assumed they would be personal sized when in fact they were a good large size. We ended up trying everyone elses plates and were blown away by the tastes coming from each. Perfectly cooked and seasoned they made for great entrees, sides and pizzas. We ended up having to take home some of the pizza which was welcomed as a late night snack. If only we had room for dessert. Next time I'm in New Orleans I will definitely be coming back to Domenica to enjoy one of the best meals I've ever had. This is a perfect place to splurge on trying many different dishes and wine and bringing the leftovers home just so you can have a good sampling of everything the menu has to offer. Bravo!

• Visited April 2013
Fort Lauderdale
“Pizza & Cocktails”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

With Domenica being located in the historic Roosevelt Hotel, before even stepping foot inside the restaurant, you know that the ambiance will be warm and inviting. The high ceiling, beautiful artwork, and modern design elements creates a high end appeal but paper menus and rustic wood allows the restaurant to remain casual and not pretentious. Even though the service left something to be desired, the environment compensated (somewhat) for that.

One thing I liked about the restaurant is the selection of cocktails. I choose to get the Carry Me Away. The portion was a little small but it did pack a nice punch.

The pizzas are really what define this restaurant. I know you are thinking really? but trust that this is not your ordinary pizza. It is good, really good.

I ordered the Squid Ink Tagliolini with blue crab and herbs. To sum it up I saw virtually no herb and overall it tasted like just plain salted pasta.

Someone else in my party decided to venture outside of the pizzas and ordered the Wood Roasted Goat cooked shakshouka style with a yard egg & tomato sauce. One word, delicious!

For dessert we ordered Banana Zuppa Inglese (banana cake, bananas, crema cotta mousse & peanut brittle). It was served cold, but basically if you don't like bananas, you are not going to enjoy this one.

Overall, my experience at Domenica was nice but what stood out for my was the pizzas and cocktails. Since they offer half price on those items during happy hour from 3-6pm, I would recommend that as the time to go.

New Orleans, Louisiana
“Not bad, but not the same.”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This use to be my favorite Italian restaurant, but since my last visit, it seems the restaurant has undergone some changes in the kitchen. The service is still professional and friendly, but the food was just off this time. I ordered:

1. Octopus Carpaccio - still consistent and my favorite item on the menu.

2. Fried Squash - very different and unique and I did like this appetizer (small though).

3. Salumi Entrée - the prosciutto was way too salty! The beignets that went with this entrée were very soft and unflavorful. I think they didn't fry it long enough. The other small side items were unique and rather tasty, but didn't do much to compensate the salty meats.

4. Stracci - this is my favorite entree but the way it was cooked this time fell flat. The entire dish was unflavorful. I use to complaint the dishes were too salty, but this dish was just tasteless.

5. Red Fish - now this entrée was too salty. The presentation was nice and the taste was unique, but they need to cut down on the salt. Also, the portions for this entrée are not large so just be aware.

Yes, overall a little disappointed this time, but I would still come back. I think I just came in on a bad day.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Domenica? Share your experiences!