“These things take time....”
Review of Domenica

Domenica
Reserve with OpenTable
Domenica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 1,990 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Cross street: Canal Street
Description: Domenica is a contemporary and inviting Italian restaurant that creates regional Italian dishes with southern and middle eastern influences. The cuisine combines Chef Alon Shaya's Israeli heritage and love of local ingredients with a menu that reflects his time spent cooking and living in the small towns of northern Italy.
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Went to Domenica with friends. Two friends were locals and knew the chef.

Our dinner ended up taking almost 3 hours of our evening. But it was worth it. Pizzas were great! (mushroom and cabrese) All entrees were fantastic and cooked to perfection. Service was attentive, but not smothering. They checked on us often, but did not hover. Although some of the dishes were a bit out of the ordinary, we tried many of them based on the recommendations of our local friends. (things like stewed goat and roasted cauliflower with goat cheese and a fried cheese ball) All the dishes were wonderful!

Reviewed September 10, 2011

A very eclectic Italian restaurant with a widely inventive, and still traditional menu. Excellent wine list, reasonable drinks-if you think $10 reasonable, great service and some variety in the langniappe. Complimentary Beignet a nice touch. Chef Shaya made a quick tour and was very personable...he states he is really having fun and it shows in his attitude. Located in the historic Roosevelt Hotel, recently renovated and operated by the growing Waldorf Astoria chain. A little noisy and too many people on cell phones; that seems to be the culture in New Orleans lately.

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our party of 3 ordered several dishes and shared. The fresh ricotta with dates and pecans, followed by goat cheese stuffed squash blossoms were a fabulous start. Then came soups, flatbread and pillowy gnocchi. Deserts were roasted peach cake with salted caramel and banana cake with butterscotch mousse. The chef had us at squash blossoms and kept our palates happy through coffee. Literally the best meal in New Orleans. Not to be missed

Reviewed September 4, 2011

Sometimes you eat and sometimes you have an experience eating. I lucked out mid afternoon when my destination of choice, American Sector, the Besh cafe in the WW2 Museum was closed due to weather. It was cold and rainy and Sector has a hot chicken and dumpling dish just like grandma used to make - if your grandma cooked. So I decided to hike over to the Roosevelt Hotel where chef Besh has a casual Italian/pizza place called Domenica and as I was solo, I parked at the bar in the best spot, where the tenders dish up drinks like Obituaries and odd stuff only ordered in places like New Orleans. Alexis was tending, and she found an Italian wine similar to a California Merlot which I like. Wine and beer and pizza are half price in the afternoon happy hours and so the prices were real good. I told her my plight and said I'd order the next best thing to chicken and dumplings - salmon and mashed potatoes. I drank my quasi merlot and out comes a young chef introduced as Philip with a smile n his face who said "I like a challenge" as he placed a bowl in front of me full of - you guessed - chicken and dumplings - well actually they were a kind of Italian pasta similar to dumplings and they were just great - and gratis, and I ate the fish and potatoes also and was very stuffed and satisfied. Chef Philip seems destined to follow in the Besh trail to success. I really could not believe the hospitality shown by Alexis and Chef Philip. I highly recommend Domenica bar dining, especially fun in a place like New Orleans. I met a great couple from Oklahoma and a 71 year old quirky lady who comes in three times a day to eat the same peach dessert, as she stands by the bar - straight out of Tennessee Williams. The menu at Domenica is Italian with a twist. The couple had pizza half price and another lady had fried squash blossoms with goat cheese inside and crispy kale - to show you the variety and breadth of the Besh menu. And you can have a fine meal with several entrees and still be out less that $25. And the desserts are the crowning touch to any Besh restaurant - all made I believe at their famed pastry kitchen above Restaurant August. I highly recommend Domenica. Walk around the lobby of the historic Roosevelt Hotel and ask to take a peek in the legendary "Blue Room". If Chef Philip is on and you don't see what your body is craving on the menu, tell him - he just might like the challenge!

Reviewed August 14, 2011

We tried the lasagna and the spaghetti- both were outstanding. I loved the spaghetti with just garlic & olive oil. It was simple, classic, and so delicious. The portion sizes were perfect, not too big but not too small. However, our waiter seemed a bit forgetful but wasn't so bad that I give the restaurant a bad rating. We did go on a busy night, so I give him the benefit of the doubt. We didn't get the pre-meal bread until after our meal, and the wine we ordered was almost forgotten about completely. Nonetheless, excellent food and eye-catching decor. More of a "group" setting than romantic.