“Tied for best po boys in New Orleans”

Mahony's Po-Boy Shop
Reserve with OpenTable
Mahony's Po-Boy Shop is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #150 of 1,955 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Neighborhood: Garden District
Description: (504) 899-3374
Wonder Lake, IL
“Tied for best po boys in New Orleans”
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to New Orleans now for about 15 years. I consider myself almost a local. Every time we go we try something new. We wanted a casual lunch on Magazine St because I like to shop there. So glad we found this place!! We have tried the following and all have been excellent: fried shrimp Poboy, roast beef Poboy, shrimp and fried green tomato Poboy! Plus their cheesy gravy (debris) fries are to do for! The gravy on them tastes like the Sunday roasts my Italian grandma used to make. Plus they serve beer, including my favorite local brew, Abita Strawberry! Check it out!!

• Visited March 2013

Chicago
“Thanks DDD”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

As a fan of all things DDD (diners, drive-ins and dives, for those that don't know) we had to check this place out. Located uptown, it's a short bus ride away from the French Quarter. We got there right as they opened and i was lucky enough to get the first po-boy of the day. I'm a glutton, so I ordered the foot-long Peacemaker. That's fried oysters, bacon and cheese on what was definitely more than a foot of fresh French bread. For the record, that's a ton of food. Barely finished the good stuff, leaving behind left over bread. It was good, but the cheese is probably overkill and if I were to go back, I'm sticking with the small po-boy. My wife ordered the 6" shrimp and that was plenty, especially with fries. By the time we finished our po-boys, the line was out the door to the sidewalk. I don't know if this place is worth waiting an hour in line, but it wasn't bad. Like all po-boys, after a while I get sick of all the fried fixins. They have a roast beef and a pot roast po-boy, but to a northerner like me, that just seems like a roast beef sandwich. Hardly what I would consider a destination food item. Biggest downside is the price. Kinda expensive for a sandwich, but if you're intent on seeing what Guy Fieri considers tasty, check it out.

Visited April 2013
Daleville
“Great po boys”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I wanted to try this restaurant as a result of seeing it on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. We walked to the restaurant from the Warehouse district...I would recommend taking a cab. We shared fries with cheese and gravy for an appetizer...yum! I had the roast beef po boy which was like pot roast beef and gravy...loved it! My husband ordered two because they all looked so good. He had the shrimp po boy and a specialty po boy that had oysters, bacon, cheddar cheese, and LTOM. Tons of food for the money and great food at that!

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, good liquor! Made to order!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Saw this place in Diners, Drive-ins and dives had to check it out when I visited New Orleans.... Short bus ride and we came upon this cute little place, got the grilled Shrimp po boy and my partner got the fried oyster sandwich, washed it down with a double vodka.... Amazing all around!! Will definitely come again!! Loved it....: we didn't have a wait but it was a Wednesday around lunch time.

1 Thank Nich30
Burlington, Canada
“Yum!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Stumbled across Mahoney's while on a quest for a different Po-Boy restaurant. Delicious. Fresh, soft bread. I had the fried green tomato and grilled shrimp, my husband had the roast beef. The roast beef was especially delicious! We enjoyed sitting on the patio, drinking Abita root beer. My only complaint was that service was very slow, despite the fact that we came in after the lunch rush.

• Visited February 2013