“Great Food!”

Cuisines: Delicatessen
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed November 3, 2012

We found this place by accident and discovered a muffuletta that is better than Central Grocery! Great service, nice place - you can't go wrong!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I had the muffuletta and we both thought it was great. Joe Serio, the owner, came over and gave us a little background on his restaurant. He has a huge collection of college football helments along the walls. There must be a headgear for every college team. Very neat to look at. This is a place worth eating at when coming to New Orleans. It seems to be a frequent stop for locals.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I walked in here when they were locking the door. The lady was so nice I went back earlier the next day.The food and the nice lady are so great.She actually remembered me ! Unbelieveable. I had the muffletta to go. I ate it in a meeting full of sad little Arbys take out.Sorry, I did not share but ate it all. It was so delicious. They beat Bobby Flay they told me.If they did mail order I'd have another fed exed to me.After that I told everyone I met to go there.Ill be back

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had this as the first stop on our Tastebuds Tours food walk. We only sampled Serio's muffaletta which was very good. The Serio brother's claim to fame is that they were challenged in a "thrown down" with Bobby Flay of Food Network and they won handily.

My problem with that is that Bobby Flay didn't build a classic muffaletta sandwich and so lost on that basis more than anything else. Our food tour explained that the muffaletta was created by an Italian grocer to satisfy the needs of the laborers who needed a sandwich that wouldn't get soggy before lunch and wouldn't spoil in the sun.

The basic muffaletta is made on a hard, round (about 10" wide) focaccia-like Italian sesame bread. It is spread with an "olive salad" made up of crushed (not diced) olives, olive oil, cauliflower, celery and carrots with oregano and garlic, which has been allowed to stew at least 24 hours. On top of that you put Genoa salami, mortadella and capicola which because they are cooked, won't spoil in the heat. The final ingredient is aged provolone cheese which also won't spoil in the heat.

A good muffaletts will have "aged" for several hours before you eat it allowing the olive oil to penetrate the bread. That reduces some of the hardness of the Italian bread. Unfortunately, what you get at Serio's is a sandwich made on the spot which won't have quite all the goodness of sandwich allowed to age awhile, but has the ingredients of a muffaletta.

The sandwich was very good. It just wasn't as good as Central Grocery on Decatur. For all I know Serio's makes a wonderful po-boy since that too is their claim to fame. We did not have a chance to sample that here. So very good neighborhood sandwich shop, especially is you are an LSU Tiger football fan (see pictures).

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We came here as part of Tastebud Food Tours. It was our first stop and my mouth still waters when I think of biting into that muffaletta sandwich! OMG! It was a perfect amount of meat, cheese, and olive salad on fresh bread. It was a bonus when we found out that Bobby Flay had lost a Throwdown there! It's not a fancy place but who cares when the food is good!