“Si”

Baru Bistro & Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Baru Bistro & Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #318 of 1,931 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Seafood, Caribbean, Latin, Spanish, South American, Colombian, Central American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Garden District
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Si”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

A friend suggested this wonderful place for dinner, and I am now in love with her. Walking in, it seemed relaxed with the wait staff greeting us in passing and seating us casually. The lighting and decor suited the style perfectly, and the mix of bench and table seating kept everything fun and moving.
As far as the food goes, I was impressed. My friend was a repeat offender here, so she was pleasantly surprised they served drinks this time around. The sangria is to die for, by the way. You have to option of getting small plates or an entree. I chose two small plates of skirt steak kabobs and shredded chicken, while my friend chose a large plate of pulled pork. The portion sizes were perfect for each order. The beautiful presentation didn't hinder our eating, which is something that bothers me when I go somewhere to EAT. The flavors were great and I didn't leave feeling heavy or like I needed a food coma. We chose an order of sweet plantains and coffee (organic Colombian GOLD, btw) instead of a regular desert.
We started the meal before rush, but even after it busied up in the interior dining area, service was perfect. They were warm, attentive, helpful, but not smothering. The whole restaurant felt AUTHENTIC. I cannot wait to go back with all my family.

1 Thank TeenyTiny53

Union, New Jersey
“Excellent!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went to Baru based on a recommendation by a friend who visited this past year. Its a Colombian Restaurant with New Orleans flair. We must say the food was excellent. Our waitress was the owner's mom and she was a pleasure. We had tapas as our appetizer and they were excellent. The tortas de cangrejo (crabcakes) and patacones (fried plantains with guacamole and chipotle chicken) were yummy! For entrees we had churrasco, Amazing! For desert we had flan and cuatro leches cake. We are latino and the flan was spot on and so was the cuarto leches cake. This is a must visit restaurant and my husband and I will definitely be returning!

• Visited September 2013
New Orleans
“Wow.”
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

The ceviche and fried oyster appetizers were.phenomenol, as were the mixed tacos and the pork and black bean arepas. The dark chocolate torte was excellent.

The shrimp tacos were in a creamy sauce that overwhelmed the rest of the dish.

We sat outside and it was very pleasant. The seating area is covered by the upstairs balcony, so we were out of the sun and later dry when it started to drizzle.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank NOLA70115
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amazing Tapas!!”
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

This was my girlfriend and I's first time going there. Also pet friendly to sit outside out front under the shade on magazine which was a win because we had my dog with us. Went for lunch, We ordered drinks my GF ordered the Sangria which was delicious and I ordered the Pineapple Mojito which was good, but preferred the Sangria for the next time :) I ordered the Tacos, Carne Asada (Skirt Steak) and Langostino (Shrimp) both were amazing. I have to say it was the best Shrimp Taco I've ever had, reason being was you actually tasted the favor of the shrimp and wasn't over powered with spices. Next time I'll have 2. :) My GF ordered Arepas, Carne Desmechada, Flank Steak and that was also delicious. We ordered the Flan for dessert, that also was amazing and loved added touch of the peaches with it. Our waitress was so sweet and attentive. I will definitely return for lunch and dinner.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MaCherieAmor
Brandon, Mississippi
“Best NOLA Tapas Restaurant - hands down!!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We had a pleasant dining experience here Saturday afternoon. Staff was very pleasing and attentive. We ordered the Causas, which was crabmeat and potato salad with avocado, quail egg, and finished off with peruvian olive aïoli. We also had the ceviche made with gulf fish, aji amarillo, cilantro, pickled onions, avocado, & choclo. But the best dish was the quinoa salad taht was mixed with Peruvian olives, choclo, vegetables, fried salao cheese, and arugula vinaigrette. We will be back!!

Visited August 2013