“Caipirinhas drew me in”

Baru Bistro & Tapas
Reserve with OpenTable
Baru Bistro & Tapas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 2,033 Restaurants in New Orleans
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Garden District
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having just read a New York Times travel section article about a trip to Rio, the cocktail list featuring Caipirinhas was a great draw. They did not disappoint! This little place offers local favorites like fried oysters, which were wonderful, plus Brazilian specialties seldom found on U.S. restaurant menus. I really enjoyed my meal-size camarones salad, with perfectly seasoned shrimp and fresh greens. My friend’s drum à la plancha was a nice turn on a favorite Gulf fish. When we arrived early on a Thursday night, there were few people dining, but by the time we left, it was packed. Prices at Baru offer good value in an authentic NoLa atmosphere, away from the tourist beat. I look forward to returning here on my next trip.

1  Thank Gadabout777

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Good food at a reasonable price. Interesting menu. Portions are not huge
Service was good and they are friendly and helpful in describing the food

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Nice stop for a light tapas lunch on Magazine St. The Sangria is better than average. Loved the Mazorca (Roasted corn,salao cheese,pink mayo sauce,potato sticks) and the Guacabello (Grilled Portobello, avocado,olive oil, lime juice served on small pieces of fried bread).

The shrimp tacos were a miss, unfortunately. Nothing necessarily bad about them, just lacking flavor in the sauce and the shrimp were a bit overcooked.

Overall a pleasant experience with good food and even better service and staff.

Tip- If the weather is nice, this outdoor patio along Magazine St. is an amazing place to hang out, relax, eat slowly, and drink too much sangria.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I stopped here during a stroll down Magazine and were pleasantly surprised at the wonderful fare this place offered up. We started off with some great sangria and a well executed mojito. I had the fried oysters with cilantro aioli and caramelized onions which were fresh and delicious. We shared some of the mazorca (roasted corn and potato sticks with pink sauce) which was yummy and fun. We then grabbed some flank steak arepas, jerk tacos and some carne asada tacos that were a fresh break from the rich cuisine New Orleans can throw your way. The service was great and we sat on the sidewalk to make for some fun people watching. I wish I had this place to go to in Maine.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

So my party returned to Baru for the 2nd time (this was MY 5th) and everything was still top notch. This time they had a drink menu so alcohol can be purchased. I love their variety of tapas and the jerk chicken was still very good. We also ordered the churrasco steak, guacabello tapa, fried oyster tapa, mazorca tapa and the arepa tapa. The only other thing I can suggest is they change their menu every now-and-then or possibly offer a taste menu. Can't say enough great things about this place so don't just go, RUN there!!

1  Thank wendy5o4