“Attentive hospitality with access to City Park museum of Art and streetcars”

Oakview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #30 of 141 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Host Russell is an attentive concierge to laid back New Orleans accessible from comfortable, clean, Oakview B&B. NOMA is literally across the street in City Park. The streetcar to downtown is on the corner.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Mystic-sailors

Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in the Asian room. Our room was large but not well appointed. No towel racks in the bathroom, no place to conveniently put your luggage and clothes . Curtains covered unattractive windows and woodwork. The furniture was of the period and was showing some wear. The proprietor explained the inn was undergoing renovation. We agree there's things to be done

The first breakfast was average. Great biscuits but then scrambled eggs home fries and bacon pretty much Denny's level; good, plentiful and hot. Jam and jelly other condiments were presented from common jars that had been opened previously. Food was available on heated serving trays, buffet style. Breakfast was just not remarkable esp. for the room price; $159. The second breakfast was store bought; nothing prepared. Very
disappointing.

The location is beautiful. Across the street from City Park. A large front porch was very restful.

• Stayed: October 2013
oakview1, Owner at Oakview Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

I think that the response had some substance but was very unfair. The guest called with an emergency situation in that no rooms were available anywhere else. The Asian was closed and being renovated and the guest were well aware of this fact as they were instructed to view the room in advance with my help and not only did they call me back and booked the room , they said they were very happy that they could live so close to their children.( I did a favor) He was a very unhappy person and only he came down for breakfast, his wife never introduce herself or speak to any of the other 8 guest(or me), who thought that the breakfast was fantastic, The Asian decor is all historic, antique and extremely expensive (more so than any other piece in the house). From the third floor window you can watch the trolly pass by or step out on the large deck and view Bayou St. John water way. Finally i did not mind the criticism, but he went on to criticize the entire city and said there is nothing but a bunch of crazy people in New Orleans and he was never coming back. The total experience with this couple was very demeaning and hurtful to me, as i try harder than anyone on this planet to make my guest as comfortable and satisfied as humanly possible. I am a disabled war veteran with a very simple life and very average to over average home " BUT THE LOCATION AND SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE". Come and see why every other guest gives 5 five stars. WE Love You.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Oakview Bed and Breakfast is a wonderful place to stay in New Orleans.
Aptly named, it's located just across from a park and provides a view of the huge, intricately shaped oak trees there.

Just minutes away from the city center by streetcar and bus (both stop right around the corner) or rental (plenty of room for your car here), it is a a quiet and peaceful getaway after a busy day and/or night on the town.
Every morning and late afternoon I just relaxed on the porch with a drink and watched playful squirrels scour the yard for food and chase each other through the trees.

The rooms are spacious and each decorated to a different theme, with the common denominator being a huge bed, that instantly makes you feel as if you've stepped into a castle :-)

The host Russell is a great guy, always ready for a talk, and willing to point out some great venues to visit to accommodate your tastes when needed.
He makes a mean breakfast too, and you'll need it if you are to immerse yourself in the busy NOLA experience of great music and abundant alcohol!

Initially me and my girlfriend booked a hotel in the city center to stay at, but we reconsidered and chose to stay here instead. Best decision we could make!
Russell was very accommodating and went out of his way to facilitate our stay and book us different rooms to be able to cover our whole stay at the very last minute.

This idyllic place made our stay in New Orleans so enjoyable, we hope to come back again soon!

Russell, thanks for helping to make our NOLA experience great, we love you man!

Room Tip: The Azalea room has it's own outside entrance and little balcony
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2013

From the moment I stepped through the doors of this beautiful house, I felt right at home. Russell is the most gracious and generous host, bending over backwards to make you feel comfortable. I stayed in the Azalea room, which was huge and has a separate entrance up the side of the house. The included breakfast is great and as other reviewers have mentioned, the biscuits are awesome. The area is really safe and only a 15min streetcar ride to the madness of Bourbon street. The streetcar stop is literally across the road. As a solo traveller this location was perfect, as I didn't have to worry about coming home late at night, as some other areas in New Orleans can be a bit sketchy. Russell also provides an open bar in a lovely sitting room, where you can watch tv or chat to other guests. This truly is a home away from home. This was my first visit to New Orleans and my stay at Oakview made the experience that much better. I only had a few days in this incredible city, but if I find myself back there, Oakview will be my first choice to stay. I highly recommend this gorgeous B&B if you want to experience true Southern hospitality.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2013

This was my first time to stay at the Oakview, but definitely not my first time in NOLA. I went with a group of friends and we rented out the entire place. What an amazing time. Breakfast each morning where we can just eat in our PJ's and have great conversation. Russell makes an amazing breakfast - especialy the BISCUITS!! YUMMY! He accomodated all of our needs and then some. He is pretty amazing and has all kinds of stories.

Then during the day you have access to so many things - the Park acrosrs the street, which is a nice place to walk and/or jog in the morning to see the ducks. There is also a place for beignets in the park, the museum and the botanical gardens. When the Bayou Bugaloo Festival is in town, it is just a short jaunt away. Also a great location to grab the trolley and take a short ride to the French Quarter.

I stayed in the Asian Willow Room. What a gorgeous and unique room. Very clean and serene. A great place to have a glass of wine and hang out a bit. Each night was a great night's sleep. The bathtub was a jacuzzi tub and the bathroom was decorated uniquely as well. Didn't feel like I was staying away from home. Everything was comfortable.

Also, what a great time in the "sitting/bar" area. A great place to have wine and rum and carry on and sing and dance and converse and just "be." Russell opens the bar up to all and is so accomodating in that area. This was our fave place to be in the afternoons and evenings to just unwind, have a great time, and hang out.

Also the front porch area was a great place to hang out and overlook the park and relax.

This is a great place to have a wonderful NOLA experience and I recommend it to all!!!

Thank you so much, Russell, for taking care of us!!

Angelique D.
Austin, TX

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Angelique D
Reviewed May 21, 2013

This was our second stay at the Oakview B&B - but not our last! This time we rented the whole house with a bunch of friends which made it even more fun, as we were able to go to brreakfast in our PJs, hang out in the bar area, and generally overrun the place. Russell is great - he will bend over backwards to accomodate your needs, and OH the biscuits. Get out of bed in the morning so you can enjoy them warm from the oven. Seriously.

The house is clean, well kept, and comfortable. We stayed in the Oak Room which includes a nice sun porch that looks over the park. The location can't be beat - walk to streetcars and museums, access city park, have a beignet without the craziness of Cafe DuMonde. Have a bloody mary at Ralph's. Stroll on over to The Bayou Boogaloo if the timing is right. Feel the happiness of New Orleans.

Room Tip: if you have extra guests, Russell will allow you to set them up on an air bed in the sun room for a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Russell and his wife were wonderful! I messed up my reservation and he cleaned it up when we got there [one extra day booked] - though we would have loved to stay another day. Went for J Fest, walking distance to great restaurants, bars and fairgrounds. stayed in the 'cozy' magnolia room and it was plenty big enough for us. Nice breakfast [which we missed a few times - hey long nights!] , good bar, great porch. Russell is doing a great job - go stay with him! Hope to see you again next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple