“The Real New Orleans”

Oakview Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #29 of 142 New Orleans B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I felt like a guest in Russell's home! Rather than staying in a cold, downtown hotel, I opted for this small, B&B for a convention I attended and absolutely feel the Oakview made my stay.
From the moment I arrived after a long day of travel, I was relaxing in the living room with complimentary libation and informative conversation from Russell, the owner, making sure that all my needs and questions were set. Breakfast each day was great with phenomenal biscuits or egg po boys, a great way to start the day. I stayed in the Asian Willow room which was most comfortable from the bed to the whirlpool tub. Utilizing the free wifi throughout the house, I was able to both work, and keep in touch in a very relaxed, comfortable home.
I travelled downtown via the trolley which stopped just at the corner. This is the way to experience the city. The transportation was affordable, efficient and clean. I almost felt like a local.
The B&B is in a rather upscale neighborhood, just across the street from City Park. I was in walking distance to museums, sculpture gardens, a bayou, cemeteries, great restaurants (Ralph's on the Park and Degas to mention two), coffee / beignet shop and one of the most beautiful parks I have ever experienced. The running paths were awesome. Staying here absolutely made my New Orleans experience far more enjoyable then simply being immersed in the downtown environment. I cannot wait to visit the Oakview again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 11, 2013

We went for the Super Bowl Weekend. Had a great stay at the Oakview. Russell was very accommidating. We stayed in the Cypress Room and it was spacious. The BandB is just across from the Trolley Line and Bus Line which goes straight to the French Quarter. Also across the street from the City Park, so in a safe neighborhood. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a quick visit this weekend to enjoy Mardi Gras. We loved Oakview-- so charming, and close enough to the Edymion Mardi Gras parade (which by the way was happily very family friendly), but a few blocks away to be peaceful. Russell was the perfect southern gentleman host, which being from the North we appreciated. It made us fall in love with New Orleans even more-- will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Russ was super accommodating - great breakfasts, drinks available all the time, good advice. And the house is beautiful. We stayed in the Asian Willow room, which had a very high enclosed bed, which I found a bit inconvenient, so I'd recommend choosing another room. But apart from that the stay was brilliant.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cafelow
Reviewed June 3, 2012

This was my third trip to New Orleans; every year I have volunteered to help rebuild houses still damaged from Katrina in 2005. Each experience has been different, and I keep expanding my knowledge of the city! This year, I stayed at the Oakview Bed and Breakfast, near City Park, which is a short streetcar (or bicycle!) ride away from the Garden District and French Quarter. Staying there was amazing: right across the street the gorgeous park and New Orleans Museum of Art, and less much touristy. Also, the local eateries--within walking distance--are superior to those found in the French Quarter, and much less costly, too! Our host was so friendly, and definitely went out of his way to make us feel at home. Our room, the Asian Willow room, was gorgeous as well, and, when we got a chance to enjoy it, we certainly appreciated the breakfast and coffee in the morning! Keeping in mind that it is not by any means a corporate hotel, and is owned and operated independently, I would certainly recommend the Oakview to others who want a taste of real hospitality!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank spidergyrl
Reviewed June 1, 2012

The owner, Russ, was sooooo wonderful to us. He went out of his way to be accomodating, helping us with little things that he didn't need to, like offering bandaids when my friend fell during a run in the park, and sandwich baggies on a day we decided to pack a picnic lunch.

The Oak room was great, and the shower divine! Just to clarify another guests complaint, Russ specifically told us that he doesn't like to bother guests so he wouldn't enter our room unless we asked. He went out of his way to let us know that if we needed anything like towels, garbage clearing, etc he would do it if we asked, but otherwise, he'd stay out of our way. Personally, I appreciated the more homey, rather than hotel-like feel of the place, as well as his commitment to our privacy.

As a footnote, the home-cooked bsicuits are divine!

Room Tip: Oak room has an awesome bathroom!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kim F
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We would stay again at this inn if we ever to visit New Orleans again. It is located very close to the streetcar line and is right across the street from City Park. Each room has a whirlpool tub, flat screen tvs with cable and wall unit ACs. We stayed during the week and ended up having the entire house to ourselves until our last night there. The inn has a bar that guests have access to and this is included in the price. The innkeeper spent time talking to us about the history of the house and his families experience during Katrina and it was very insightful. Russell is a fellow social worker and we had a great conversation. Because we were the only couple there, each morning breakfast was not provided because the catering company only comes if more than one room is rented. The innkeeper recommended a place for breakfast and took the price off the bill for the breakfasts that were not provided. We didn't mind because we prefer to sleep in :-).

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple