Tripadvisor

from $25.20
from $71.00
from $25.00
More Info
All reviews katrina exhibit mardi gras jackson square louisiana state museum great exhibits small museum louis cathedral personal accounts better understanding on display excellent museum couple of hours rainy day french quarter costumes hurricane cabildo
Selected filters
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

Along with being a historic building, it's also a museum. Currently, it houses exhibits about Hurricane Katrina and an extensive history of Mardi Gras. I highly recommend adding this to your itinerary.

Reviewed January 12, 2020

Really great museum- was much more in-depth and much more well-designed than I had expected. It's an unusual combination of topics- one sad and the other happy- but both were very well done.

First floor is about hurricanes- mainly Katrina. Was extremely in depth and touching. Upstairs had great displays about Mardi Gras, with lots of detail on specific related items like women and Mardi Gras, Mardi Gras and the LGBT community, and even Mardi Gras and pet parades!

So in depth and immersive. Definitely recommend this museum. Is only $6 to enter!

1  Thank SanFranciscoTravlr
Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

This is a great little museum in Jackson Square that is half dedicated to Mardi Gras & the other half Hurricane Katrina. It was only $7 for admission & well worth it if you just want to see a little Mardi Gras history but don’t want to spend $20 at the other museums. I also really enjoyed the section dedicated to Hurricane Katrina.

1  Thank hgon76
LA_State_Museum, Manager at The Presbytere, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2020

Thank you for visiting and for leaving a review! We hope you visit us at the Cabildo next time you are in Jackson Square (the opposite side of the Cathedral). We have more changing exhibitions there including "We Love You, New Orleans", a tricentennial celebration of all the things we love about this great city!

Reviewed January 6, 2020

My family didn't have much interest in the Mardi Gras exhibit but we did enjoy looking at the costumes. It seemed to have a lot of great information for those who would be interested in learning more. We were limited on time and went specifically for the Katrina exhibit. To be honest, it left me wanting a little more. I understand it may be tailored for all ages but we were hoping for even more videos and personal stories on how it affected the residents. Having said that, I did appreciate what was provided as it was incredibly informative and agree with other reviews in that it's appropriate for all ages. The price was also minimal.

Date of experience: December 2019
1  Thank ErinMo1981
Reviewed January 5, 2020

Of the two weeks I spent in NOLA, I got to see and do a lot, and I honestly say that this was my favourite museum. The personal stories of the aftermath of Katrina were very moving and I liked the interactive nature of the exhibits. I also enjoyed the upstairs Mardi Gras exhibit. It hit the highlights without having to deal with the size and hype of Mardi Gras world. Would highly recommend as a must see museum. Is available as part of the "Power Pass".

Date of experience: December 2019