“Hidden Treasures”

Ranked #37 of 352 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Eclectic collectors and professional browsers will love this six-mile long street which starts at the French Quarter and is known worldwide for its antiques and art.
Tampa, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Hidden Treasures”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have been to Magazine St. twice now. Magazine St was the highlight of my trip with the neat shops and really friendly people. Every night we would sit outside of the Mojo Café and drink wonderful coffee and take in the atmosphere of the neighborhood. Met many nice people and after a few minutes conversation abounded. No Strangers! No pretensions, just nice people from world class sculptors to ex-marines from Michigan! Loved the place. Shops my wife love, need to stop at Miette on Magazine St for really neat hand made treasures. My visit was a real treat and I never once went to the French Quarter!

Visited April 2013

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Walk, walk, walk and shop”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Start down near Jefferson and work your way back to Jackson
Plenty of nice shops, food places to enjoy. Spend all day Saturday
Arts and Eyes store very special!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Jon E
Reserve, Louisiana, United States
“great day out”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

love all the great shops and restaurants a little something for everyone. If you just want a quite and relaxing day of shopping and eatting its a great place to go. especially if you don't want to be in a mall and just want to enjoy the weather.

Visited March 2013
Niskayuna, New York
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“Not really understanding the allure...”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

So, we walked the entire length of Magazine Street -- from the French Quarter to the Audubon Park -- and I just don't get it. There were maybe one or two pockets of stores worth poking into, but nothing more interesting than what I found in and around the French Quarter (by far). If you like high-end home decor/design shops, there were a few of those as well as some high-end looking art galleries in the arts district. I certainly won't be going back. UNLESS I needed to go to Sucre (which I reviewed separately)... in which case I'd take a cab.

Some of the prettier residential blocks were nice to walk through, with overgrown (in a good way) trees and plants and flowers falling over old, quaint little houses. But my walk through the Garden District was much more memorable.

There *are* a small handful of nice restaurants that are well regarded; again, I'd go there just for them and take a cab to do so. Most of the more highly regarded ones are more in the CBD-side of Magazine and can be walked to from the FQ.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Ashley D
Seattle, Washington
165 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“St Patrick's Parade”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I don't have opinion about Magazine Street. Kinda very long street and confusing. If you lived in Asia or traveled to undeveloped countries to shop, this place is meh. Anyway, we went to this street because of St Patrick's Day Parade. I never been to Mardi Gras, we just arrived here but a family told us, the best time to experience Mardi Gras version of family friendly is St Patrick's parade. We thought we had so much fun, catching beads and such. Again, I don't feel comfortable with drunk people were holding bottle dancing in front of my small kid. Accident can happen. Great for experience.

Visited March 2013