“Meh”

$25.00*
New Orleans Music and Heritage Tour
Ranked #67 of 371 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The partying never stops on Bourbon Street, the French Quarter's liveliest and wildest thoroughfare, where the rhythmic sounds of jazz, country western, Dixieland and sultry blues permeate the air. Brimming with life, you'll find everything from shopping to music to Cajun food to nightclubs.
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I was on tour with a band and we were driving to Florida from Baton Rouge. I had never been to New Orleans and wanted to get a quick sample of it before driving a long shift. It was a Monday afternoon, a regular day, not a holiday or a special event. There were drunks everywhere and everything smelled terrible. I couldn't handle it. After 2 hours of exploring we went back to the van only to encounter a very large man in a half naked drunken man covered in poop. At that point I ran back to the vehicle. I'm sure New Orleans has a lot of great spots but I do not need to revisit that day.

1  Thank Ray E

Reviewed November 13, 2013

been to mardi gras....too much madness for me. the streets are so cram packed with people and violence I don't see how anyone can enjoy themselves. go on Halloween.....or just a random weekend when there are no events. lots of fun! I enjoy being able to walk around with alchohol and visit lots of different bars, clubs, and attractions.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

When I went to New Orleans in October of 2011 during Halloween,I can honestly say Bourbon Street is not that special.

I do not drink, even if I did I would not hang out on this street at night.

Sure ,There will be some funny things that you will see like people dressed up , and neat things like people playing jazz, but its not a place I'd hang out with a bunch of drunks.lol

Most of Bourbon Street is bars and nightclubs, however they have neat restaurants which look appetizing.

If you are drinker, you will like this street. However ,I am not a drinker.

Plus there is more to New Orleans than Bourbon Street.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

OMG...it's not Mardi Gras or a sponsored event. Just throngs of fun-loving folks coming out to share their over-the-top costumes and to have a little drunken fun. My friends and I followed the parade of ghouls, drag queens, and indescribably adorned characters on foot high wedges from club to club. The absurdity of it all put organized events like the WeHo parade (Los Angeles) to shame. For sure I have become a fan of the other LA, NOLA, on Halloween.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

You've been warned. You've read the reviews telling you that Bourbon Street is a smelly mess of vomit and urine and drunk people and a sex club here and there. But ... You know you're going to do it. Sadly, you can't help yourself -- it's famous; Louis Armstrong sang about it, it's the place of Mardi Gras and legend. How can you NOT go? Curiosity will lead you to it as surely as you'll ride the St. Charles streetcar (nice) and go to the Cafe du Monde (and have a good beignet and a lousy experience there).

So you'll go, and you'll see it's kind of like Spring Break on steroids. Only it's not just kids who are drunk wandering the streets with giant beakers of glowing, high-octane liquids and throwing bead around lampposts and each other. Their parents are too. So what are you to do? You can join them if that's your thing ... or, observe. Think of it like a parade. Spend a block in the parade if you dare and be moved with the crowd. Then move to the sidewalk and just watch the show. If you are a people watcher, it's quite a spectacle and can be entertaining. After about 20 minutes or so (less if the stench gets to you or someone vomits on your shoes), you'll have had enough. You can say you were there, and you don't need to do it again.

What is the French Quarter without Bourbon street? That's easy. Try Royal street, which is lovely, Decatur, zig zag, Go up and down cross streets like St. Louis and the other parallel streets. It's so easy to avoid Bourbon and have a wonderful French Quarter experience. Check out the French Market and Jefferson Park, etc., etc. And if you want jazz clubs, go to Frenchmen Street instead.

2  Thank spendley3