“Wild, wild, party atmospher”
Review of Bourbon Street

and up
Bourbon Street Pub Crawl
Ranked #65 of 354 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The partying never stops on Bourbon Street, the French Quarter's liveliest and wildest thoroughfare, where the rhythmic sounds of jazz, country western, Dixieland and sultry blues permeate the air. Brimming with life, you'll find everything from shopping to music to Cajun food to nightclubs.
Philadelphia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Wild, wild, party atmospher”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Dont visit this street if you are easily offended. I knew it would be wild with lots of circus like characters walking around so none of the foolery surprised me. I couldn't help but notice the stinky smell, it smelled like rotting trash or food, not urine (like some have described). I've been to Vegas many times and in my opinion I think Bourbon street is wilder and more risqué. There are so many strip clubs! This must be a man's playground ( I suppose some women might like this too). I enjoyed people watching but I could also do without it. I didn't go into any of the bars or clubs but there seem to be a bar for every musical taste - jazz, oldies, country, hip hop, you name it. If you like to party, drink, enjoy loud music and watching street performers, you will love Bourbon street. This goes without saying- do not bring your children! Don't let your teenagers go here alone either- they'll probably love it and want to go back every night, I know mine would.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Spring Hill, Tennessee, United States
“Fun time to be had... watch your surroundings”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Bourbon street was a Blast... only concern is to watch your surroundings... nobody messed with us but be careful..

We had a Medical emergency on Bourbon street and the police and EMS aided us quickly, and saved the day!!!

The Bourbon Cowboy was awesome, Saints and Sinners was fun and the food was very good. lots of street performers, plenty of bars restaurants and strip clubs( if you like that), BIG EASY daiquiri and pizza, shops were great, and plenty of bars let us take the Daiquiri's into their bars, (we would get a shot of rum to pour in them so we were not being freeloaders...) plus your drink has a lid on it to keep the bad guys from slipping something in your drink...

Perth, Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Food, drink, music ... and sleaze”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Generally lived up to expectations, lots of partying, some good jazz, plenty of bars & restaurants, but I guess I didn't imagine quite so many strip clubs. Still, if everything was just the way we expected it to be, there'd be no point going ...

Visited June 2013
1 Thank KennyPatrick
Houston, Texas
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 230 helpful votes
“Great for ADULTS!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

My husband and I really enjoy Bourbon Street. Yes, it has its trashy elements with the strip clubs lining certain parts of the street, scantily clad strippers helping solicit business in the doors, and several places have some really graphic pictures along the street. And of course, there are the vagrants and the drunks...still, all of this is part of the character of Bourbon Street. And even better...this trip we were happy that Bourbon never really smelled like urine. Sadly, we missed out on the religious zealots who are normally on Bourbon calling all of the people sinners. But where else can you shop for crazy beads, watch street performers and go into voodoo shops with places for frozen and other fun drinks at every step of the way?

I know it sounds like I'm bashing it- but this is part of what gives Bourbon its "color." It's wild- it's bohemian, it's free, it's fun...and it's a great way to unwind. Ultimately- We usually just grab frozens at one end and walk, talk, and people watch...sometimes heading into one of the bars or grabbing a bite to eat.

Still, I'm hoping my description, which is fairly accurate...should impress upon you that...

THIS IS NO PLACE FOR CHILDREN!!!!!!!!!

I think New Orleans is a wonderful city for a family summer vacation, but- not Bourbon Street in the late afternoon and evening. We usually visit between February and April...so you don't see much in the way of kids at those times, but summer was a real education. We were shocked how many people were on Bourbon in the evening hours with preschool to grammar school age kids. It actually made us uncomfortable because I'd never dream of letting my kids set foot on Bourbon.

Oh well- we'll be back...one of the world's greatest parties!!!

1 Thank HouCuseChickie
Suwanee, Georgia, United States
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“You'll see it all here!”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

The shops were varied and intersting. You'll find good food and plenty of bars. Jazz abounds - walking down the street you'll find it hard to select just one band to stop and listen too. A must see, but be ready for what you'll see.

1 Thank Marsha D