“Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes......” 2 of 5 bubbles

and up
Bourbon Street Pub Crawl
Ranked #63 of 339 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: The partying never stops on Bourbon Street, the French Quarter's liveliest and wildest thoroughfare, where the rhythmic sounds of jazz, country western, Dixieland and sultry blues permeate the air. Brimming with life, you'll find everything from shopping to music to Cajun food to nightclubs.
Central Indiana
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Betcha I can tell ya where ya got dem shoes......”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

OK...here it goes.....I know alot of ppl won't like this, but this seemed like amateur night out on the street. Way too overboard. This place is loaded with ppl who are so far off the hook it's ridiculous. They act like it's their first big outing. We are no strangers to drinking and having a good time, listening to great music and meeting new people...but this place just disappointed us. It was dirty, smelly, scary, seedy, and at times felt unsafe. The walls are dirty, the tables are grimy, every door has hand prints all over, the menus are sticky. You can tell most shops don't get a daily cleaning, except for the sidewalks which they pour bleach on and spray hoses to clean in front of their businesses. The buildings are in disrepair, the balconies are falling and windows are broken out. You can't walk down the street w/o being approached by a vagrant who wants to "betcha i can tell ya where ya got dem shoes".....the answer....if you're pressed....is "i got them on my feet" better yet, just keep walking and don't slow down bc they'll drop down and try to polish your shoes and demand payment for the shine. This happened to us 5 times in the first 2 days IN DAYLIGHT! We met 2 women in our hotel bar who were so afraid of their encounter that they wouldn't even leave the hotel again. Beware, also, of pickpockets, as in any city. There are bags of trash on every corner, every day, all day....smelling like trash smells. you step over many of the less ambitious sleeping in doorways w/thier dogs...and backpacks begging for 3$ for whiskey or heroin. what fun! And It's too bad ....because there is a lot of charm and history here that is well worth the visit. We loved the great street musicians....The jazz bands.....the painted people posing as statues......beautiful architecture.........the natchez steamboat ride was wonderful.....the beautiful Cathedral....free tours by foot was fun......use tripadvisor to pick your restaurants! If you're into partying where you'll wake up w/puke on your shirt and abrasions on your forehead, Bourbon Street is the place for you!! We always wanted to come here....and we're still glad we did! Just seems to need a little more tender loving care for such a charming place! A couple bright spots we visited were Pat O'Briens and Lafittes Blacksmith shop (GREAT Bloody Mary!)

3 Thank G0Places

• Turkish first
Hartland, Wisconsin
“NOLA”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

For an old goat I kept up with my wife. We showed NOLA a good time. I'm certain we won't be awarded the key to the city anytime soon...well...maybe. Great food, cold beer, late nights....good time.

Visited September 2012
Salt Lake City
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Bourbon Street is New Orleans”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had a blast just walking up and down the streets. One of the posters here did not like it at all. I think they must have been really uptight people who had no idea what New Orleans was about. I came home with over 30 necklace beads which my granddaughters loved. Got drunk too many times! LOL we thought it might be all Jazz music but it was not. Mostly good Rock music and loved that we could walk around with our drinks. we left our Hotel, Hotel Prince Conti which is only a half block off Bourban at 4:30AM to go back to the airport and the street was still packed. Do not go to Bourbon street if you are a non-drinker and if you are do not rate it bad here. I am older and I loved it so much. The food is to die for, and I loved Hand Grenades but the sugar killed me more than the alcohol! I stuck to wine after that. We walked up and down that street a dozen times in 4 days and saw something new each time. right off Bourbon we got to watch a magazine shoot for Ugg boots in an old doorway with a creole looking model. It was really a beautiful setting and I found it fascinating. I cannot wait to go back to Bourban Street.

Ottawa, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

I like a good drink, music, and a fun night, but NOLA wasn't really up my alley. I don't like the thick fog of cigarette smoke or the persistent smell of vomit and urine.

I didn't stay out past 10:30pm. The smells made me gag.

That said, the food and music was great.

3 Thank MeggieBeth
Mich
294 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Loud, crowded, and awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

That's why you come to NO. To listen to music, people watch and eat the awesome food. Use Tripadvisor for eating. Bourbon st is full of people, all kinds. The music is everywhere and you can get and do about anything you want. A New Orleans staple. Don't leave town without walking down. It's busy most of the time but you don't have to be there real late to enjoy. 7:30 pm things are rocking already.