“Ask for a table in the courtyard.”
Review of Iris - CLOSED

Iris
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Conti St. & Bienville St.
Transit: The Esplanade bus stops on the corner of N. Peters St. and Bienville St. right outside of the restaurant. Also, the Canal St. streetcar line stops 2 and a half blocks away.
Reviewed November 14, 2013

If you like to eat under the stars, then you can't go wrong with one of the few tables available in the courtyard.

Whenever duck confit is on the menu, I try it. Iris serves up a half duck and it's rich and succulent, although a bit on the salty side.

1  Thank Brett E

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We found our food and drinks to be very good, but the service was so-so. First, our menus had the wrong date, and it took a few attempts to get the attention of a waiter to find out if we had the correct menus. We were assured that the menus were correct, but we were still confused as certain plates had slightly different names from menu to menu. Finally a manager came out and explained that the dishes were all the same and that the error on the menu was simply a typo.

The wait staff also wasn't able to keep orders straight - we had a party of 10, and for each course we had to explain who had ordered what. For the price and caliber of the restaurant, I would have expected no issues with serving the food correctly.

Overall, we really couldn't complain about the food though! Very unique menu with dishes for every type of person. Be sure to call ahead to make your reservation.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Although this is not typical New Orleans cuisine, it was one of the best restaurant meals I have had in New Orleans in a long while. We had the duck confit, roasted duck salad, potato gnocci, and a lime dessert whose name escapes me. The appetizers & entrée were perfectly seasoned and well cooked, although those watching their salt intake might want to request less salt (it was perfect for us). Each dish had something unique about it that made it memorable. The staff was friendly and professional, and genuinely seemed to care how we liked our selections. The appetizer prices were around $10 and the entrees in the $22-30 range. Serving sizes were sufficient though not ample. Since we aren't big eaters, 2 appetizers with a shared entrée & dessert were the perfect amount for us. Knowing that the restaurant is located in the Bienville House hotel makes it easier to find. If you are driving and have early reservations, you may want to check out the street parking before entering a lot since meters & freight zone no parking ends at 6pm, just the time the restaurant opens.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The building where Iris Restaurant is located could easily be mistaken for an apartments but the menu posted outside the window makes its presence known. The interior, while painted the same colors as the outside of the building, is a classy upscale but not stuffy atmosphere. Whether you're looking to wine and dine, cozy up on a first date or celebrate a romantic special occasion this restaurant is the place.

Our waitperson was a true professional and my trusted advisor throughout the evening. He interjected his opinion and made suggestions which is something a lot of waiters don't do but that I find welcoming. His suggested cocktail for the evening was either the Prickle or The Count. I ended up choosing The Count and I couldn't be happier with the choice. It wasn't what I would typically order but it was a exemplary choice and a well crafted cocktail.

I was so please with my first cocktail and curious about what our waitperson said was his favorite cocktail that I ordered the Prickle. This is a gin based drink and I don't drink gin. You could obviously taste the gin in the drink but its subtle sweetness and refreshing coolness made me like it.

Iris's menu is small with about 10 main choices but most of the dishes sounded so good I was having trouble choosing just one. I offered up my choice and out of my picks, our waitperson recommend the Duck Confit. The skin was perfectly crispy and the meat was moist beyond belief. Combine that with the corn and the sweetness of the peaches and you have a delectable dish.

My boyfriend ordered his usual steak in the form their Steak Frites. It was very tender and tasty. The foie gras-marrow butter was a brilliant touch and put this dish it over the top. The fries were incredible too, I reckon a Belgium would eat these fries and give them his/her stamp of approval.

We finished off the meal with the Chocolate Soufflé Pistachio Cake. It was rich, chocolaty yumminess but if I am not mistaken, this was not a soufflé (unless it was a fallen one) and more like a flourless cake. I liked it anyways and the nuts added some texture to the dessert.

Iris was flawless, I can't wait to come again!

1  Thank chewclue
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

Iris

Reservations recommended - this is a popular spot among tourists and locals. Closed Sunday and Wednesday. Service was excellent.

Jefferson knows his bitters! He tends the bar Thursday - Saturday. One of NOLA’s best mixologists! We loved The Count and Jefferson’s own concoction, the Jefferson and Lee, which is a play off the Sherman. Get there when the bar opens at 5pm and receive an education with your cocktail.

What we ate:

Sweetbreads - lightly coated and fried. One party member thought this was the tastiest part of the meal!
Pork Cheeks - also excellent in flavor and wonderfully tender.

Steak Frites - hangar steak with foie gras-marrow butter and parmesan fries - it was definitely the butter that made this dish.

Grilled Cobia - firm white fish with excellent grilled flavor, served with grilled Vidalia onions, capers, and, cherry tomatoes.

Desert: Peach cobbler sorbet with fresh blueberry compote - while many desserts looked tasty the manager walked by and pointed this one out, so we obliged, and were not disappointed. Not too sweet but beautiful peach flavor that was complimented by the blueberries. Large enough portion to share.

Thoroughly enjoyed every part of the meal - looking forward to going back! A bit pricey, but worth it.

Frank’s comments: - Yeah, I’d go back.