“Delicious and great service!”
Review of The Italian Barrel

The Italian Barrel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Italian Barrel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #174 of 1,980 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Decatur Street
Transit: Street car stops just one block away
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Myself and my Dad went here during the "storm" last week so it was pretty dead, which made for a nice quiet evening. The service was wonderful and very attentive -- true southern hospitality. The food was absolutely delicious!! I would highly recommend, especially if you want an escape from Creole food during your stay in New Orleans.

Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Went for lunch after raving reviews. The restaurant is very small which is not the issue but the state of the area behind the bar ( which you are almost sitting in due to size) was unpleasant. It was dirty with files overflowing and bits of decommissioned equipment , I was less that a foot from this space and it is on view to everyone.
Food was cold , had a pasta dish and whilst the taste was good the temperature was not.
Being British of course we did not complain and paid the bill with a smile ( my biggest downfall )

Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were searching for a local place and had Italian in mind. Several people mentioned this restaurant so we hopped on a bicycle taxi as it is just outside of the quarter. Glad we did as we did not have reservations and a few more minutes and we would not have been able to get in! There are only 7 tables and a few bar seats. The staff said we could eat but our table was reserved in 45 min! We started with the special app of melted Italian cheese with green apples on arugula and the mussels-both were excellent. Then we had the Friday/Saturday on
Y special of Osso Bucco and it was wonderful! My husband loves spicy so he had the homemade Italian sausage on penne---excellent as well! If you can get in-go!!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

My husband (boyfriend at the time) took me to the Italian Barrel for a date. He had never been there either. We were very impressed by how small and intimate the place was. Although it was tight and packed full, we were able to carry on conversation.
The staff was very attentive and suggested a great red wine that completed my meal. My husband has been to Italy about a dozen times and says the taste of the food is very authentic. We will go back on another New Orleans trip for sure.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We tried Open Table for a reservation for a Wednesday night at 7 and got it the same day. This is a very small restaurant but very full of life. I had the Veal Porcini which was delicious and my friend had the Seafood Linguini (she asked for very light sauce). She said it was cooked perfectly. We both had 2 glasses of wine. Service was very good and attentive and bread and water refilled promptly. Certainly not inexpensive, but the taste of the food was worth the price!