“Surprise of your life....completely unexpected!”
Review of The Italian Barrel

The Italian Barrel
Reserve with OpenTable
The Italian Barrel is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #166 of 2,018 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: French Quarter
Cross street: Decatur Street
Transit: Street car stops just one block away
Reviewed May 1, 2013

After being unsuccessful in getting into the big name restaurants due to the Jazz festival, we were fortunate enough to get into the Italian Barrel. Blew our doors OFF!! Best italian food I have ever had!!! Small and quaint restaurant with only 7 indoor tables, but several more outside and bar seating.

The food was to die for. My wife had the ravioli and I had the fetuccine special. We also tried the olive sampler and brushetta...wow wow wow...words can't describe how good it was.

Staff was outstanding...i just can't say enough.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I found this restaurant thanks to the Yelp app. It is a tiny restaurant just off of the French Market. There were about 5 tables on the sidewalk, and another 6 or so inside, plus a small bar. We were the only customers, as we had an early dinner, so our service was outstanding! We each had different raviolli's, and both dishes were out of this world! The server brought us tons of bread too! We also had a tomato based soup that was equally as good. I'm not good at describing food, except to say that I ate every bite, and scraped the plate. We also had a chocolate dessert which was like an ice cream and coated with cocoa and hazelnuts. YUMMY is all I can say! I would have licked the dish, but it was too deep. Definitely add this to your list of MUST EAT AT locations!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have been eating at the Italian Barrel since they opened . The restaurant is located in the Lower Quarter across from the Old Mint. If you are going to French Quarter Fest, you will see them right across from the Old Mint stage on Barracks Street.

Everything we have eaten there has been cooked and served with care. The food is consistently plated well, and has good flavor. The lump crab salad is a favorite as is the lasagna. Raviolis are good, and the Bresaola is delicious with the arugula. The desserts are spot on as well

Its a small place, so do consider making reservations. At this time, they even reserve the counter-space. When you are dining there, they take the time to make you feel welcome from when you enter until you leave. The staff are knowledgeable and know their menus and with Sam getting many of her products directly from Italy, the quality is there day in and day out. The wine selection is good, and although the bar looks small, they produce good cocktails. Its a place we always look forward to visiting, and always leave happy.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We went on a weekday for lunch right at 11 when they opened without a reservation on a stormy day. We were able to get a table for two right away. I mention all of this because there are literally 5 tables and partial seating at a bar. I will make a reservation next time so that I don't disappoint myself when I'm craving this exquisite food. The setting was adorable and the staff were friendly and animated. The food was transcendent. A true Italian rustic flavor in the U.S. I was blown away.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We had to make reservations to sit at the bar and felt fortunate to get them. The place is very tiny but has outside tables that would be perfect for lunch and people watching. The Black Truffle Ravioli were outstanding $19.00. Hubby had an Osso Bucco over Polenta that came with a small green salad. Tiramisu was much better than average. Pretty good wine list. All in all a very good meal if you're looking for Italian in New Orleans. I understand the owner is from Northern Italy. I prefer a nicer atmosphere for dlinner (with a place to have a drink while you're waiting) but I think lunch outside would be fabulous.