“If you're a fried chicken fan you must go here!”

Willie Mae's Scotch House
Ranked #52 of 1,979 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Neighborhood: Treme
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I saw this restaurant on the travel channel so when I was visiting New Orleans we had to go!
The neighbourhood seems a little shady and we had luggage in our car but we got a parking space right across the street. We went on a Wednesday at lunchtime and there was no wait for a table.
Out of three people two of us thought the chicken was amazing but one thought it was very greasy. The mac and cheese was great and the fried okra was the freshest I've ever tasted.
We found the restaurant very different from the usual tourist places in New Orleans and there seemed to be a lot of local people eating there. It was a great experience and if you like fried chicken you won't be disappointed.

1  Thank coolkenno

Reviewed June 18, 2013

There are no words to describe the delightful taste of the fried chicken, red beans and rice, fried pork chops! Yummy doesn't even scratch the surface. It looks like a little whole in the wall in a questionable neighborhood, but apparently that's just a try to hide this little gem. Every time we eat here we go just before 11 and it ALWAYS fills up fast! The more people hear about it, the more tourists come in, but it is always filled with locals and I can understand why! This is a stop you won't want to miss! If you eat like I do, take someone to share with unless you want leftovers! The portions a gigantic!!

1  Thank Angela K
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Make sure you stop at Willie Mae's scotch house for fried chicken. Don't let the sketchy neighborhood stop you from having killer fried chicken. All the staff are very friendly, go all out to please you. The fried chicken is outstanding. The wet batter they use creates a Light Crispy Crunchy exterior. It also has a nice amount of Pepper to add a zing to it, but not overpower it. The chicken itself is very moist and tender. Also had Red Beans and rice. The guy sitting next to me had the Butter Beans. Both outstanding . Save room for the bread pudding for dessert. Another winner.

1  Thank david f
Reviewed May 31, 2013

If you love fried chicken you will have to check out Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans. Rated by many as the best in the world, I can't argue, although many in NOLA come real close. Despite the name, they have no alcohol, just tea and soft drinks but that didn't take away from the delicious chicken. Would have rated it excellent except that the service was slow.

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stood in line for about 45 minutes to have a taste of this fried chicken. It was well worth the wait. Tjw bread pudding is a must order. It melts in your mouth.