“Totally worth the hype”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Treme
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Willie Mae's Scotch House. Totally worth the hype. The best fried chicken I've ever had. The staff was friendly. The atmosphere is perfect. You can find fancier spots to eat, but not necessarily better. Sorry August, you just can't beat home cookin' like this!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,340)

Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arrived just after 11 and were seated right away. When we were leaving there was a line of people waiting. We went with the chicken and it was very good, The coating is differrent with a bit of spice but nothing overpowering. The chicken came out hot and juicy! For the sides we give a thumbs up on the mac and cheese as it wasn't overly cheesy and didn't taste like fake cheese, and also the butter beans. Had never had them so figured we would try them and enjoyed them. You get a lot of food and it is reasonably priced.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I went to NOLA during Spring Break March 09-12th 2013 and before I left I went to try out this place. The chicken is good, not like OMG its the best chicken ever but it's good and what makes it different is the flakiness to the chicken and how soft the flakiness is not so hard and crunchy and it has a spice to it but not hot. I think the chicken is a little over priced b/c you pay $10 bucks for 3 pieces of chicken and if you want white only that is extra!! The plate comes with 3 pieces and they let you choose 1 side and they don't mention that it comes with a extra side and that extra side are peas. I read other reviews and I agree there mac n cheese is not all that at all- you would think it is but you might get a cheesier taste from making a box of Kraft mac n cheese. Also if you want a extra side they cost $4.25 and its not family size you would think for that price but it is just once scoop and for me paying $4.25 is not worth it. The rolls are terrible and cold, I was expecting something soft and warm but NO you are better making your own b/c they weren't worth it and they are sold individually too! I ordered some corn bread and I never rec'd them- the waiter told me they were out which was weird since the place opens up at 11am and we were 2nd in line to get into the restaurant and you would think they would have everything hot and ready to go at 11am. Also you can nott share if you do you have to pay $3 bucks extra. If you are staying in the French Quarters or off Canal St you have to get a cab b/c the trolley is not close enough and you have a good good walk ahead of you. If you told me on a 5 star rating on this chicken i give it a 3 out of 5. I have had better chicken in Dallas Texas a place called Halls Chicken off Camp Wisdom and way cheaper then this place. Also 20% tip is added on 5 people or more.

1  Thank flores403
Reviewed March 18, 2013

The place is open 11am-3pm mon- sat. We came shortly after 11 am and there was already a line otside. As a party of two, we got seated fairly fast. The food was reasonable priced ($10-$15) and the portions were very generous. Everything had a little "kick" to it. A little on the spicy side. The chicken was very crispy and the catfish was delicious. Just good southern soul-food. The service was very good, and I'm sure we'll be going back everytime we are at New Orleans.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Seriously the best fried chicken on the planet--we would give it five stars except the sides were a little disappointing--red beans and rice were good, but not hot. The green beans were mushy and forgettable, at best. Butter beans were decent. We also had the catfish--great tasted and nicely prepared with a cornmeal breading.

My sons wanted to go back today--so there you go.