“To Say Better Than Expected is an Understatement” 5 of 5 bubbles

Willie Mae's Scotch House
Ranked #52 of 1,920 Restaurants in New Orleans
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Treme
Jackson, Ohio
“To Say Better Than Expected is an Understatement”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

To return to NO after a 20 year hiatus was a test of "what was" to "what is" to the extreme. We sandwiched two days before and after a cruise in our favorite city. The weather was horrible so our plans turned to New Orleans most prominent activity, eating

Primarily on the strength of the reviews here we hailed a cab and headed to the Treme. I couldn't believe it cost ten bucks to get there, but remember I live in a place that doesn't even have cabs. The rather unassuming exterior didn't scream greatness but the food overcame all.

The place as less than pristine, the remnants of what was a hectic lunch were on the floor, confirmed when the Charming Bride dropped an ear ring and were close to hands and knees to find it. The server was very pleasant. The menu is simple but clear. We could tell from the smells wafting through the very small establishment we were in for a treat.

She ordered the chicken with a side of butter beans. I had the smothered veal with red beans and rice. We both had cornbread.

The chicken had a coating that was heavy, but unbelievably good. Without reserve the best fried chicken I have ever eaten. The butter beans were sweet and snappy at the same time. The veal had a kick to it that i can still taste The red beans and rice were good enough to be a meal of their own. The cornbread had a tang to it that the Charming Bride, an accomplished cook on her own, attributed to the meal. I don't know the source nor do I care. I was ready to move in.

In my humble opinion, I don't think I can ever come to NO without lunch here.

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Food and Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is the place for chicken. It was just flat wonderful. Hopped a cab from Harrahs. About a 12.00 ride but well worth it. The service was superior. Corn Bread was #1 also. Also they will get you a cab when it's time to leave. Don't go to New Orleans unless you try this place. I'm sure happy we did. Not a fancy place and not that expensive. I wish i had some of that chicken right now.

NYNY
“Overrated...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had looked forward to visit Willie Mae's chicken joint for a long time. Gee, even the famous expert chef and culinary enfant terrible Anthony Bourdain waxed poetic and joined the dithyramb over this simple but extremely busy place near Louis Armstrong Park. So, how did the chicken taste? Beats me -- the chicken serves as a conduit for the Willie Mae's spice mix. That is all. Most normal taste buds probably succumb to the peppery onslaught that is this restaurant's specialty. This isn't really good; exciting, maybe, to the more adventurous diner, but not good. Fortunately for the less pepper-driven among us, they come along with the iced tea and alleviate the pain frequently.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Port Washington, Wisconsin
“Excellent Chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

This is a must when visiting New Orleans. A friend recommended having lunch here, saying they have the best chicken. It was amazing, the mac and cheese was also delicious. The waitstaff was attentive and very nice. We took a cab to the restaurant and when we were finished with our meal, we asked that our server call a cab. I assume many people do this as the server did it right away and said the cab would pick us up in 10 mins. I would definately go again.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Allen, Texas
“Crispy Juicy Perfectly Fried Chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We've been to New Orleans multiple times and I haven't heard about this place until i saw it on "Food Paradise". So we had to try it when we went this year. We got there at 1215 and there was a line of 12-14 people outside, but we were prepared to wait. Then they had an open table for 2 so we skipped the line of other customers (sorry). And fair warning, there is also a line inside.... It's a small place which gives you that home-y feeling. Service was fast, and the staff is friendly.
The friend chicken came and it was fried perfectly golden brown all over, crispy on the outside, moist and juicy when you bite into each piece. The sides were "okay", but we came for the chicken so we were happy, No refills on drinks though, so make it last, unless you want to pay another $2 for soda.
all in all, the fried chicken was worth the cab ride. you should try it if you're in New Orleans.

• 4 of 5 bubbles