“Just do it!!”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: Treme
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

We read about this place being good so we decided to go. It's not in the best neighborhood and you are going to be standing waiting outside, BUT you have to go if you like fried chicken. Hands down the best we EVER had!!! The place is a dump, and they nickle and dime you on things such as refills & cornbread but it is NOT over rated, it is just incredible!

Reviewed December 25, 2012

I don’t normally go wild about fried chicken, it fact I don’t really like fried chicken that much, but I had to come to Willie Mae’s to see if I could be wowed, and I have to admit that it did turn out to be the best fried chicken I have ever had.

You have to come here with a few expectations. First, it’s not exactly in the best neighborhood, but it’s not that bad either. Second, expect to wait for a table. This place is very popular with locals and tourists, so it is always full at lunch. Third, this is pretty much a no-frills operations, there is some nice artwork on the walls, but that’s about it, plus the service staff is basically on a treadmill through the entire lunch service, they appear to turn tables as quickly as possible and get your order in and served fairly efficiently, but don’t expect much more than that. Fourth, if you have any problems with salt in-take, this is probably not your place (you can pretty much say that for most of New Orleans though). Beyond that, just make sure you order the chicken and a few sides and enjoy. There were two of us and we ordered one plate of chicken (3-pieces), mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, red beans and rice and along with the biscuits everyone gets, we were too full for dessert.

2  Thank DuckFan
Reviewed December 19, 2012

If you want fancy or fine dining,this is not for you..if you want excellent southern food at reasonable prices,this is THE place. My husband and I go at least once a month,I am truly addicted. The fried chicken is crispy,juicy,and sooo flavorful!The best I have had since my grandma. We usually get the seasoned green beans(may be spicy for some not from around the south)and the rice and cajun brown gravy,delicious! Red beans and rice are also good,and do not forget the cornbread muffins!They have dessert,but we are always too fuli to even think about it.It is not low cal health food(they do have a nice salad)but it does not pretend to be.It is soul food cooked the way it was menat to be! @$10 per person,take cash,credit card machine does not always work. Worth the visit,you will go back!

Reviewed December 15, 2012

At first we planned in Dooky Chase but was closed. Then we came up to Willie Mae's. We got seated fairly quickly. We sat about 30 minutes to even get a drink. The table next to us got drinks before us & they came after. When we could finally order, the food came out quickly but for mine. The food was good but I would recommend Dooky Chase! Hopefully service improves.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

The restaurant isn't located in the best part of New Orleans, but don't let that fool you because this place puts out some good chicken. The chicken is uniquely fried and has a distinct flavor and texture, which makes it stands out from all other chicken places. I had the breast and wing, red beans and rice, cornbread muffin, and sweet tea. Everything I had was good and had me very satisfied. The only bad thing I have to say about the place is it's location, so just make sure you go when the sun is up.