“Stay somewhere else if you can”

AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel
Sydney, Australia
“Stay somewhere else if you can”
Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Not the worst hostel in the world but not great by any stretch. Good kitchen & staff but that's about it. 2 toilets & 2 showers for all guests just isn't enough, considering one is a toilet/shower combination. My room was freezing cold which is ok if you have decent blankets but I didn't. I dropped an item on the floor which rolled under my bed, the dust & filth under there was ordinary. I know it's under the bed but it's the little things, the basics which show quality.

It's close to Walmart but it's a fair walk into the French Quarter but you can get transport on St. Charles Street.

In short, if you can afford to, stay somewhere else.

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 6, 2013

The hostel has poor quality and very un-hygienic. Bedrooms are smelly. Kitchen is has limited worn-out cups/plates/dishes; they are not so clean either. Shower rooms are disgusting; molds and scum everywhere.

There's only four resrooms/bathrooms in the house to accommodate 30+ people. This is just not enough.

The hostel puts bedrooms everywhere possible. Some are next to the main entrance so you hear people coming in and out constantly. Some are next to the washer/dryer machines which runs almost all the time (no limit on how late people can do their laundry). Some rooms are so close to the outside patio that you can't fall asleep due to people talking.

There is no common area. The only place is the outside patio which you may not appreciate it if you are a non-smoker. There's four chairs in the main house where you can sit and talk to each other, but that's it.

The location itself is allright; about 20 minutes walk to the St. Charles street car and about 8 minutes walk to Walmart. However, these convenient don't cut the deal with the poor quality of the hostel.

If you had stayed in a nice hostel (with comparable price) before, you know what I'm talking about.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bee P

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed here in Oct 2013. Staff was the best part of my experience - very helpful, giving me lots of suggestions on how to get around. Room was very small, but manageable. I had AC is my room which was invaluable.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank joy4me2travel
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The place is very affordable. Staff was great. AC in the room was not quite strong enough, beds were not very comfortable. Location was a little off the beaten path, but easy transit was close by. It is a great place to stay on the cheap and get the bare minimums, as long as you don't mind a bit of a commute to get to places like the french quarter.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Just to clarify my experience I have lived all over the world including in a tent in Africa in a war zone so I don't need a lot of amenities. But when I booked a private room at AAE Bourbon House for two nights it didn't even have a bed, It has two sets of bunk beds and looked nothing like the private room photos. The sheets were super scratchy and I had to sleep between two comforters and I had to pay $2.00 for a towel. While I was checking in an Australian sidled up in his underwear needing a new towel. Then I wound my way down this hallway that had two broken sinks in it and an old stove. The directions in the room said not to blow dry your hair in room room but instead to use the bathrooms outlets the bathroom closest to me didn't have any working outlets, the bathroom downt he hall didn't have any outlets period. In the non-working stove that crowded the hallway next to my room a cockroach had made it's home. The secon night I stayed there I was woken up because the walls are so thin by the rowdies next to me at 1:00 p.m. in the morning. The hostel is not far from some good breakfast places, but it's not close to a lot either. The staff was great; however the owners should really invest in sprucing up the place or they should tae photos of thier actual private rooms. The showers had rust stains in them and the sink in th bathroom closest to me was coming off the wall. The sink in the other bathroom drained into the shower. It wasn't worth the price I paid for it, but if you are looking for a cheap place that's not close to a lot it works. But really the owners should take some of the money they are making and fix it up a bit, because I've never stayed in such a rundown hostel, think Animal House.

Room Tip: If you book a private room make sure you know which one you are booking say something like so I'...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Scott M, Owner at AAE Bourbon House Mansion & Hostel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I'm sorry you feel you were " mislead" . On one hand I can see several of your points, and I would agree it was most likely the room you were placed in. We have several nice private rooms, with all the amenities we show in pictures. Un fortunately we also have some " group rooms" that we use when we have large university groups stay with us, and they are " bare bones" . The sinks in the hallway you speak of actually work and the groups use those areas for teeth brushing, hair drying etc. the reason we don't have outlets in the bathrooms are so girls don't tie them up blow drying their hair..but we provide them at the sink stations in hallway. Try to understand the need to provide for all, even when it constrains a few at times. As for the cock roach, it is New Orleans and this is hot season, were a ground floor building, and some times they make their way into the hallways before we catch them. I will review the rust stains, cuz that's not good! Next time , come see us again, and ask for rooms 1 to 7 and you will love it!
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was a bit wary since this was my first "hostel" type experience, but it exceeded my expectations. The price was right, and the people were great... both those running the place and the (mostly young) world travelers that you get to meet. Accommodations were clean and safe. Just don't expect a full service hotel. Be careful though if you use GPS, because mine took me a block away on the other side of a park and I had to stop and pull up the directions on my smartphone to actually find the place.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, you are a great guest and we welcome you back anytime!
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at AAE Bourbon House for a trip to NOLA. The staff was very nice and the hostel is tidy. Walking distance to many bus stops and the St. Charles Street car. Walmart near by for cheap groceries

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and positive people that take their time to post an experience are great and deserve great things in their life. We appreciate you