“well done tour”

Longue Vue House and Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
New Orleans Historical and Sightseeing...
Ranked #37 of 383 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Longue Vue House and Gardens is a multifaceted historic estate featuring a world-class house museum and eight acres of stunning gardens that include an interactive Discovery Garden for children of all ages. From art to architecture, gardens to gift shop, there's something for everyone to enjoy at Longue Vue. Longue Vue is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. The last house tour is at 4 p.m. Tours start at $12.00 for the day. Discounts for groups, seniors, and children are available.
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife stumbled on to this attraction while researching historic estate tours in New Orleans. We were pleasantly surprised. The house and gardens were remarkable. Touring the grounds and gardens is self-guided after they provide you with a narrative and map. The house tour is with a remarkably well informed tour guide that spouts off a font of information about the family, fortunes, furniture, furnishings and history. We were astounded at the detail. You won't be disappointed.

All reviews
"tour guide"
in 13 reviews
"deep south"

Reviewed March 26, 2014

Enjoyed the grounds and beautifully manicured gardens. However there isn't anyone to actually collect an entrance fee, so I guess it's on the honor system.

Longue V, Public Relations Manager at Longue Vue House and Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2014

Thank you for this review. Tours and tickets to Longue Vue can be purchased in our gift shop. We hope that the new signage placed on the property makes it easier to direct guests to the gift shop for admissions.

Reviewed November 26, 2013

It was very hot the day we visited. It was nice to be able to go in the house where it was cool. Our guide was a little bit snippy but he provided a lot of good info on the home, the family, the furnishings and the history of all. We then spent quite a bit of time wandering through the many gardens which are very pretty. We took tons of pictures.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I loved touring the home and gardens! I was given a solo tour has I came later in the afternoon. I considered it a treat since I didn't feel hurried and could ask as many questions as I wanted.

I would feel comfortable living in this today if I could!

The gardens are beautiful!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I went with a friend during Smithsonian's Museum Day, which gave us free tickets online. There were quite a few people on the property and in the house tour, which we were told was an unusually large crowd for Longue Vue (due to the free tickets). The gardens are wonderful. There are several different areas of the gardens- a children's garden that had a lot of cool plants organized by smell, a "wild" garden with a lovely pond, and a walled garden with a hollowed-out fountain full of patchouli! The house tour was awesome. The house isn't all that old, but the people who lived there were serious antique enthusiasts, so most of the house is furnished with early 19th century items. Our tour guides in the house were very knowledgeable and they kept the tour interesting and engaging throughout. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting New Orleans, or to any locals wanting a quiet afternoon in a lovely setting.