“Beautiful Home and Grounds”

Longue Vue House and Gardens
Book In Advance
More Info
$90.00*
and up
New Orleans Architectural and Sightseeing Small-Group Tour
Ranked #67 of 358 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Owner description: Longue Vue House and Gardens is a multifaceted historic estate featuring a world-class house museum and eight acres of stunning gardens that include an interactive Discovery Garden for children of all ages. From art to architecture, gardens to gift shop, there's something for everyone to enjoy at Longue Vue. Longue Vue is open Monday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. The last house tour is at 4 p.m.
Kansas City, Missouri
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Beautiful Home and Grounds”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I loved touring the home and gardens! I was given a solo tour has I came later in the afternoon. I considered it a treat since I didn't feel hurried and could ask as many questions as I wanted.

I would feel comfortable living in this today if I could!

The gardens are beautiful!

Visited October 2013

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A hidden gem in Old Metairie”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I went with a friend during Smithsonian's Museum Day, which gave us free tickets online. There were quite a few people on the property and in the house tour, which we were told was an unusually large crowd for Longue Vue (due to the free tickets). The gardens are wonderful. There are several different areas of the gardens- a children's garden that had a lot of cool plants organized by smell, a "wild" garden with a lovely pond, and a walled garden with a hollowed-out fountain full of patchouli! The house tour was awesome. The house isn't all that old, but the people who lived there were serious antique enthusiasts, so most of the house is furnished with early 19th century items. Our tour guides in the house were very knowledgeable and they kept the tour interesting and engaging throughout. I would definitely recommend this to anyone visiting New Orleans, or to any locals wanting a quiet afternoon in a lovely setting.

Visited September 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Interesting glimpse into the past”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

A nice glimpse into historical New Orleans. Great tour for naturalist who enjoy gardens as these were very nice. The guide was knowledgeable and provided a good narrative of the property. Interesting to see some of the "modern" features incorporated into the house. We walked to the property from St. Louis Cemetary #1- Big Mistake. What would have normally been a short enjoyable walk (around a mile) had us exhausted by the time we arrived due to the heat and humidity. We had intended to take the bus back to the streetcar stop but found out that the bus does not run on the weekends. We ended up sharing a cab with another visitor back to our hotel area. Understand that this in NOT a tour of plantation life- for this you will need to visit one of the plantations outside of New Orleans.

Visited August 2013
New Orleans, Louisiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Garden is Great Employees and owners are Greddy”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Most people don't know this but Longue Vue House and Gardens charge photographers $175 a year to photograph clients their. The photographer and the client must be members of Long Vue.

This is all fine and most don't have a problem with it. If you photograph brides your bride must pay $175.00 fee. That is OK because its a wedding photography right! Nope, if you take senior portraits the make that kid pay $175.00. If you photograph a baby, they want that baby's parents to pay $175.00. Lets say you want to photograph a couple, the 175.00 fee still applies. When asked why they charge the client and the photographer so much. They bluntly tell you that they were loosing out on all that photography money they could be making. If you ever wondered why photographers are so expensive, people like this is the reason why.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank greg d
KIRKLAND
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Loved it!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We saw this house in the early morning and had a wonderful tour with an incredibly knowledgeable docent. Because it was so early on a weekday there were only four of us on the tour so I'm sure that contributed to my enjoyment. I felt like a personal houseguest wandering around each room looking at the grandeur of it all. The fact that it was one of the first homes of its time to put in air-conditioning and many other cool gadgets made it more interesting than a house just filled with beautiful art (there were plenty of those too).

We went in our rental car since the place isn't near public transportation. I was glad we did since the gardens were inviting and we had a long stroll around them. The kinetic sculptures were delightful and the whirlpool fountain fascinating. The ladies in the gift shop pointed us in the right direction for lunch. We stopped at the Royale Blend Coffee and Tea shop just down the road. The staff was wonderful and the food was delicious. Well, except for the low fat muffins--some things are a lot better with some fat in them.

Visited May 2013