“Perfect Location for a visit”

Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites
Ranked #120 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stayed here for a weekend. It is a perfect location for a visit to NOLA. Right in the middle of the Garden District and the French Quarter. As others have said, the streetcar stop across the street is VERY convenient. Some of the steetcars were very full and some not full at all--don't hesitate to wait for another one. (This was August though, not peak season when I'm sure they are all full.) The St. Charles line will take you right to Canal Street. Bourbon Street is right across the street. By the way, most streetcars have pamphlets hanging up with streetcar info: map, stops, and times--grab one while you are on it or you can pick one up at the Louisiana Visitor Center/ Rest Stop. The hotel does charge for parking but if you pass the hotel and make three right turns (caution: the (not busy) streets are one way) you can park on Thalia Street for free. It is a quiet one way street right between the hotel and the paid parking lot for the hotel. There is a security guard at the hotel who spends most of the time in the courtyard which is open to Thalia Street . I am from a small town and I felt safe leaving my car there (of course I removed EVERYTHING from the car during my stay). Emeril's Delmonico is right across the street. For cheap eats, there is a Wendy's right next to the hotel and a Popeye's on the other side of Wendy's. (I watched for the Wendy's and Popeye's to know that the streetcar stop for the hotel was coming up.) Also , there are numerous drug stores (CVS, Walgreens) around. I found these to be the best (cheapest) place to buy a bottle of water. CVS has a 1 Liter (about 33 oz.) bottle of Ice Canyon spring water for $1.50.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank 3kiddymomNC
Bret C, Manager at Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Thank you for the review! We are excited to hear that you enjoyed the convenience of our location and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. The feedback is appreciated and we hope to see you the next time you are in New Orleans!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Great location right on the street car line! It was right between the business and garden districts! So quiet, even though it was right on a very major city street. Very quaint and charming! A very nice surprise. I was a little surprised about the $17/ night for parking.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan D

Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to let us know how we are doing! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be sure to visit us again the next time you are in New Orleans!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is a GEM! The staff are all friendly, helpful and lovely. The setting idyllic. Lush planted areas, pool and hot tub. Rooms fabulously decorated, in 'toned down' mardi gras themes, very stylish. They are in the process of getting new bathrooms/showers but the ones already there are more than adequate :) The towels are white and fluffy. The sheets are crisp and white, The beds huge and comfortable, poolside towel cupboard is re stocked daily.
I am NEVER disappointed with my stay here :) this time was for 11 nights. 11 nights of restful sleep, 11 wonderful and varied breakfasts, 11 days spent lounging by the pool, whilst being serenaded by piped, relaxing music, 11 days of pure bliss!
I'm a very picky English woman (as you will see by my other reviews!) and this hotel gives me no cause for complaint. It is bloody wonderful!
Thank you to the entire staff, for making my stay another relaxing one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank originalpetula57

We can not thank you enough for the wonderful feedback! It makes us very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you received superior service from our staff. Your loyalty is very much appreciated and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We arrived in New Orelans aday earlier than expected and needed a place to stsy. We spent a Thursday night there and got the room for $56 (before tax) on Howire. At that price it was wonderful, if you pay $100 a night you can probably do better.

The rooms were clean and well decorated. The bed was very comfortable. We did have an issue with our door locking but the staff was responsive to solve the issue.

The place has a nice New Orleans vibe and doesn't feel like a boring franchise chain hotel.

The parking was around $17 and was a little far from the room. I personally hate paying for parking but apparently paid parking is par for the course in NOLA. Turns out $17 was a competitive rate.

The quality of the breakfast was a nice surprise. I ate eggs, sausage, and waffles with some cranberry juice. It was yummy and free.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank LBCjustin

On behalf of the hotel, we want to thank you for taking time to write a review and for letting us know how we are doing! We take pride in providing guests with a "New Orleans" vibe and appreciate you making note of that! We hope to see you again in New Orleans soon! Thanks again!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

I recently had a destination wedding in New Orleans. This hotel was a fun, affordable, and charming choice for my wedding guests. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The rooms were nice overall and if there were any problems with the rooms (broken fridge or safe), they worked hard to correct it. The set-up of the hotel with many small hotels with courtyards made it a good environment for all the guests to hang out with each other and for the kids to play outside. The pool was a good size and depth. My husband and I stayed in 3 different suites over 6 nights and they were all very comfortable but the porches/hallways around the suites could use some remodeling. The Degas Suite (Honeymoon Suite) was my favorite. The Mardi Gras Suite was also good but could use a few touch ups in the bathrooms and better access to get to it after the lobby closes (had to be buzzed in after 10p). We also used 1 of the meeting rooms for a poker night and the salon for an afterparty after the reception and these rooms were very nice. We partied until 4 am in the salon (separate from guest area) then took the party next door to the St. Charles Tavern which stays open 24 hr and has good food. Overall we had a great experience and with a few minor fixes this hotel could be even better. We love the Garden District and we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel and your stay with us! We are happy to be a part of your very special day! Thank you for providing us with feedback and comments on the staff and hotel. We sincerely appreciate it and hope to see you in New Orleans soon!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was my first time at the Maison St Charles. I called the front desk for more towel for swimming. I was really cranky, the front desk person remained calm and pleasant. He had the towels at our room in less than 3 minutes. I called the desk again to ask where the ice machine was (I was flying my broom). Again the clerk was calm and friendly. When we checked out I asked who this clerk was and found his name was Johnell. Wonder staffing, wonderful service, great suite. The only disappointment was that the Jacuzzi was not working. I would definitely stay there again. Oh yes, the restaurant on premise is to die for. ;-)

Room Tip: Get a suite, it's more than worth it.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

On behalf of the hotel, I want to thank you for providing us with comments! I have shared your comments with our Front Desk Manager and we have definitely made sure to recognize Johnell for the superior service he provided you. We have also repaired our hot tub so it should be ready for your next visit!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Great location to easily access the streetcar transportation or walking distance to food. We go in really early so the first front desk lady was helpful with holding our bags while we went back out since our room wasn't ready. We called back when we were still out to check on room status and different front desk customer service was on the borderline of being rude every time I asked about something. Finally got checked in and found two live roaches in the bathroom within an hour of checking in. Hairs in the bathtub that definitely did not belong to us. While waiting for my room to get ready I overheard another guest reporting that she had some gold earrings stolen out of her suit case. We kept the do not disturb sign on the door and declined housekeeping service to hopefully avoid this. Highlights: location, comfortable spacious room (we had a king suite on second floor), fridge/microwave in room, really comfortable beds. Lows: cleanliness in room including layers of dust on baseboards behind nightstands (saw it as I was looking for electrical outlets), walls thin (definitely hear your neighbors), women's Lobby bathroom had a very bad smell, like sewage, wifi Internet spotty and slow.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank folk108
Bret C, Manager at Maison St. Charles Hotel and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Thank you for letting us know how we are doing! Please accept my apologies on behalf of the hotel for the experience you had while staying with us. I have personally passed along your comments to the respective department managers to prevent this from happening again. We do hope that you will visit us again when coming back to New Orleans.