WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of W New Orleans - French Quarter

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #75 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
New York City, New York
“Great location, lovely staff, noise issues”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

The real reason to stay at this hotel is the great location--close enough to walk to everything interesting, close to some amazing restaurants, but on a relatively quiet corner so you can sleep!

Apart from that, the people at front desk are incredibly friendly, as are the rest of the staff. The hotel is fairly small, has a little pool, a smaller gym. The rooms are what you'd expect from a W--on the small side, very trendy design, annoyingly dim lighting. Some of the rooms share a connecting door, which allows in a lot of noise from neighbors. You can hear everything from the hallway as well. Luckily I was able to upgrade to a different room, and ended up in one that had a small outdoor space--enough for a little bistro table--and no noise issues.

Recommend this hotel if you can avoid one of the noisy rooms, and if you put a priority on location.

Room Tip: Upgrade to one of the rooms with a balcony.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Hello H K,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a relaxing trip. Thank you for taking the time to post a review for us on TripAdvisor as we love hearing from all of our guests. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Warm regards,
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights on a short vacation to New Orleans.

Rooms
The room we had was a good size with a nice view overlooking Chartres. The bed was comfortable, I was a bit surprised that the bed sheet had a very visible hole torn in it, but aside from that the upkeep was good. Great HD TV with good selection of channels. Decent Bliss products in the bathroom which were restocked as necessary. Bath robe provided. Large safe suitable for a laptop; large wardrobe.

We received great service from the moment we arrived, and as they'd seen it was my partner's birthday they sent up a bottle of wine to the room which was a nice touch. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and helpful.

Pool
The hotel has a small (but not too small) pool in the courtyard, with a few loungers around the side. Unfortunately only one half stays in the sun in the afternoon if you were planning a relaxing afternoon tanning by the pool, so you need to get there early to claim those loungers. (Not that you should come to NO just for a tan!) Towels provided poolside and there seemed to be drinks/food service from the bar if you wanted something. Pool has disabled access via a ramp and a chair to lower into the pool if that's something you need.
There is also plenty of outdoor seating in the courtyard area, and many rooms overlook the courtyard.

Bar
The bar and restaurant, called SoBou, is always lively. There was only one night that we couldn't get a seat at the bar for a quick cocktail before heading out as it was too busy. We also ate there the last night (a Friday) as dinner in the quarter seemed tricky as places were full. The food was great, really tasty and high quality, and service prompt. Bar staff made awesome cocktails and were super friendly, and they had a wide selection of spirits.

Location
The hotel was in a good location, just a few minutes walk from the bustle of Bourbon St, but not so close that it was noisy or the area was full of drunk people stumbling around. Slightly towards the 'edge' of the French Quarter, it's also just a few minutes walk from Canal which has good street car links to other parts of NO.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dean D
Hello Dean D,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review for us on TripAdvisor. I hope you and your partner enjoyed your time in New Orleans! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return visit to the Crescent City soon!
traveller973
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014

The W French Quarter has all the W cool. The design is modern but not overly pretentious, the bar and restaurant are the opposite of most hotel bars,i.e. you actually want to hand out there and the location is amazing.

I must compliment the chef on what is probably the most tasty bar food I have ever eaten. The bar tenders are great as are the drinks.

The problem starts with the rooms. I know it is an older building and I know that comes at a price but the room I was given for the first two nights was so noisy, it would have been impossible for anyone to get more then an hour's worth of solid sleep a night. The room had connecting doors to rooms either side and the doors are really thin and have NO acoustic insulation. I could hear every word that was said or even whispered next door. The same goes for the doors to the hallway.

As interesting as a Brazilian domestic dispute might be at 6 AM, when trying to get some sleep after a 15 hour flight, I would rather settle for peace and quiet. It was a scene out a movie shot in a cheap motel. But the W does not charge the same rate as a cheap motel...

After I flagged the problem, I was given a somewhat more quiet room with only one connecting door but no effort or gesture was made to compensate the fact I has not been able to sleep for two nights.

The W is cool. No question. But the primary function of a hotel is to provide accommodation and a place to sleep. When you get the wrong room, best to stay out all night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without connecting doors.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Hello traveller973,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and we thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor. I will pass along your praises to our chef, Juan Carlos. I'm sorry to hear you we bothered by some disturbances with other guests, and I hope the rest of your trip proved to be more peaceful and relaxing. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us as we take all of our guests opinions and concerns very seriously. I hope you will return and stay with us again upon your return to New Orleans.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Soon as you get off the taxi or any transportation you are automatically greeting by smiling and helpful W employees. Location is perfect for the French Quarter. Bourbon St. is just two blocks away to enjoy adult fun. Good restaurant and food. Lots of bars and live performances throughout the street.

• Stayed July 2014
      Cleanliness
Hello DatBoiCarr,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and had a great time in the city! Thank you for sharing your experience with us and a few great photos! We appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay and compliment our employees. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the Big Easy!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May for a few days. The hotel is well renovated and lives up to the W hotel brand expectation. The courtyard is particularly charming and a very nice haven tucked in French Quarter for quests. I really appreciated the peace after walking all days in the French Quarter area. The room is spacious and very modern with a little bit of funky twist. But it is well inline with what you would expect at a W hotel. The restaurant is great, I had a few meals there and liked all my experience.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Hello Aquavit28,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy and for sharing your experiences with us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review for us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to hear you had some time to relax in the courtyard after exploring the Quarter! It's definitely a peaceful escape from all the activity in the French Quarter. We hope to have to back soon!
Warm regards,
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

I recently stayed at the W French Quarter, and after a nerve racking trip to New Orleans. When I arrived I was in a TERRIBLE mood, but the valet guys A.K.A. "Eye Candy" quickly turned that around.. I must say all of them went above and beyond to make sure every need was met. Especially Quentin his kindled spirit and southern hospitality made me feel as if I was home away from home. Also the house keeping staff was extremely polite and very helpful. I was more than satisfied, and can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Luscious K
Hello Luscious K,
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to New Orleans and W French Quarter! I'm always delighted to hear our guests compliment our staff members on their hospitality and kindness. I will be sure to share you review with our team members and pass along your praises to Quentin. We look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return to New Orleans!
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

The service and comfort you've come to accept from a W with a New Orleans design and decor. There's a larger W in the CBD but this smaller, boutique hotel is perfectly located in the French Quarter. The staff definitely exudes Southern hospitality and they all went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed our trip. We were there for my husband's birthday and I asked about where to find a yellow cake (his favorite). The staff offered to take care of it and had yellow cake cupcakes waiting in our room after dinner.

I'll stay here every time I come to New Orleans.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Hello itsmemichelicious,
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to New Orleans and stay at W French Quarter for your husband's birthday! I'm delighted to hear we could help make the occasion a little more special. Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review for us on TripAdvisor! We can't wait to see you both again soon upon your return to the Big Easy!