“Will be back”

Ranked #78 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Solana Beach
“Will be back”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

Location could not have been better. Property and staff full of personality. Enjoyed the complimentary hurricanes at check-in. Room was average size for a W but the balcony was a huge bonus! Elijah (concierge) and Lorenz (manager) went out of their way to make sure our trip was "W"onderful.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank 562BeckyS
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Hello 562BeckyS,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to the Big Easy! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. I will make sure to tell Lorenz and Elijah of your praises! We look forward to welcoming you back to W French Quarter upon your return to New Orleans soon!
Warm regards,
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thank you EVERYONE at WFQ for being so lovely. Shawn at the front desk is the sweetest. So helpful! Gave us a great room and was so accommodating. Malik and all of the guys out front are the greatest. So cheery and sweet. He took great care of us. Rooms are nice. The outdoor living room/courtyard is such a nice spot. Quiet and comfortable. If you're staying in FQ you can't get better.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Casey S
Hello Casey S,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear how much you enjoyed your stay. I will pass along your kind comments to our staff, particularly Shawn and Malik. We can't wait to see you again upon your return to New Orleans! Thank you for such a great TripAdvisor review!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Talking about a great experience is not comparable to living that experience itself. My stay at the W French Quarter was simply amazing. The moment I stepped foot on the property I was in utter bliss! As soon as I pulled my vehicle in the valet stand I was greeted with a smile and a helpful hand by Quinton and Malik, both of which ensured I was well taken care of and that I was guaranteed to have a great stay at the W (they definitely, didn't disappoint). As I waited for my room key, I was given a Miss Abigail's Punch....oh my, it was the BEST drink I had all Madri Gras Weekend. Un-benounced to me Miss Abigail (who recommended the SoBou Surf & Turf and the Ginny Gin Gin Martinis....yet again one of my favorites) was one of the bartenders in SoBou (restaurant in the hotel) that I didn't meet until three days post the beginning of my stay. Miss Abigail not only made some of the best drinks...she sang songs that had the whole restaurant in total awe! We joined in and after my second martini...Miss Abigail was Gladys Knight and I was one of the Pips! In my sleeping quarters, I was excited to have a view that overlooked the quaint courtroom with heated pool and the quintessential New Orleans homes that surrounded this French Quarter gem. If it is wasn't for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail my stay at the W French Quarter would not have been the same. Every time I visit New Orleans, I'll definitely be a guest of the W French Quarter and I'll recommend the hotel to all of my colleagues and friends. Whenever you arrive...just ask for Quinton, Malik, and Miss Abigail...they'll definitely show you a great time! Laisse le bon temps rouler!

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Jonathan M
Hello Johnathan M,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay!! We so much appreciate you taking the time to provide us with such an excellent account of your experience with us. We appreciate your praises of our staff and property! I will pass along your kind words to Quinten, Malik and Abigail. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to the Big Easy!!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I travel extensively for my job and so trade between Marriott and SPG properties depending on what is available in the location. I have also stayed in the French Quarter on both business and pleasure several times prior and well knew the challenges of finding a reliable hotel experience in this very busy tourist district. For that reason I researched a completely festival free two week period to book my recent 4 night and 5 day stay for pleasure. I also decided to splurge on the W because I had visited this property before, stayed in many other Ws, and assumed that the SPG nationwide reputation for service would be a guarantee against the familiar French Quarter problems with service and maintenance.

I am sorry to say that this lovely Hotel seems to have fallen under the French Quarter curse.
Here are the things that happened:
1) No Elevators in a 5 story building. During our entire 5 day stay one of the two elevators was down without a sign or notice and then on the busy Sunday when we were checking out the OTHER elevator went out. This is a 5 story hotel and people were forced to schlep up and down steep hot emergency stair wells with luggage. This went on all day Sunday with no signs of repair. Yet they still did not have postings on the elevators by days' end and the cheerful valets never warned people as they continued to march in vane over to the elevators and wait and wait... I never saw any maintenance people working on the elevators over the course of 5 days. The staff happily shrugged in commiseration with our plight but never gave an explanation of what the problem was, an estimated time of repair or a sincere heartfelt apology. The hard working valet certainly earned his tips that Sunday.

2.) Room not ready 4 hours after check in. We arrived for check in an hour AFTER our check in time on a relatively quiet Wednesday and told that our room was not ready with out an explanation or an estimate of the time for the wait. She took my phone number and said she would call me but never did -- instead I checked back three times as I was waiting there in the hotel without any idea that the wait would take so long. Then of course our luggage was delivered to the wrong room. These things are understandable if I get some conscientious and smart communication from the desk staff but I got very little. It seemed that the person at the counter only remembered me when I stood in front of her and then she forgot about my problems and me as soon as I walked away. She was friendly and sweet but not apparently very detail oriented and It was frustrating to have to keep "litigating" just to get my room after a long flight.

3. Room not clean. After the long wait it seemed obvious that our room had not been thoroughly cleaned after all. Another persons belongings were in the closet and food wrappers were on the floor near the desk.

4. Room not serviced while out all day. Next day after a full day out, we returned after 5:00 to an unserviced room with all of our damp towels still on the ground (there are no towel racks). We complained but had to make due with extra towels as we did not have time to wait for the cleaning staff. One of the best things about hotel travel is coming home to a clean made up room with restored amenities and towels so this was a disappointment. I figured out that I could avoid the problem by talking to the cleaning staff on the floor every morning as we left to say that our room was ready to be cleaned-- so it was put to the front of the line. Another complaint is that amenities were not restored on a daily basis unless we called up and asked. So shampoo and conditioner were always in short supply. Also room staples such as a cork screw and drinking class were missing and had to be requested. Not a typical experience at a W.

5. Forgotten Late check out. Because we had a late Sunday flight I asked for a delayed check out which they happily granted me in light of my lengthy delay during check in but as was typical here this communication did not seem to get to the rest of the staff. From 12 to 5 three different people knocked on the door asking if I was ready to check out.

6. Service and communication are what make a hotel shine and all of the above mishaps can be opportunities for a satisfied guest if handled competently and with follow through. Over several days I talked to three different people about my problems while I was there and they expressed heart felt regret and explained that they would look into what they could do for me or even refund some of my points and they would call me -- but no call or communication followed and no one at the desk seemed to have any information about these conversations. Finally on the last day before check out I received a standard email from the manager stating that he hoped I enjoyed my stay and asking for feed back.. I took the time to detail all of the above and he apologized and refunded one day of my stay and had a cheese and wine platter sent to my room.

Finally. although late in the stay, I felt like a valued customer. But things would have worked better if the various friendly staff that I had encountered took just one or two steps of follow through to show that they cared about my complaints. Anyhow in recognition of the managers responsiveness I give four stars in this review as opposed to one or two.

7.) Room Lay out: The room is modern with a tarot card decorating twist that I admired. The space is small but useful and as always the bedding was top notch. Two very simple things would make the room much easier to use: At least one towel rack installed into the small bathroom and reading lamps near the bed.

8.) The property. It goes without saying that the beautiful courtyard, ideal location, creatively renovated old building and very hip and eclectic décor all live up to your expectations for the W's unique boutique style. There are signs of wear and tear but it fits okay with the authentic French Quarter feel. Also the bar and Soubou restaurant offer unique and lighter fare and it is a fun spot to hang out.

In sum, it would be a spectacular place if the service were more responsive -- they need to try to solve problems for quests or provide explanations for why there is a problem and always offer some sort of compensation for the inconvenience without forcing the guest to request it.

I may return and will keep an eye on other reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for a Courtyard room with a view. Its nice to listen to the fountain and is much quieter than t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kahenry1963
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Hello Kahenry1963,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with all of the details of your recent stay with us at W French Quarter. We truly appreciate your feedback and take your concerns seriously. I appreciate you bringing these matters to my attention, and I will pass along your comments to our team and see that the necessary improvements are made. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the city, and we hope you will return and give us the opportunity to show you a better experience.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We stayed here for a few days this past month. The decor is "trendy" and different. We were pleased with our room overlooking Chartres Street, but I know some of the courtyard-facing rooms were MUCH smaller (although they did have a balcony). We saw one of those rooms, and they had very little space -- even the bathroom was considerably smaller. The room we stayed in was comfortable and pretty standard in size to most hotel rooms. The bathroom had glass doors everywhere, but we did have enough counter space for our toiletries and things.
The concierge was very helpful with reserving a couple of tours for us, the staff at the reception desk was friendly and helpful, and the maids were friendly and efficient.
We did not eat in the restaurant, but had room service a couple of times and the food was excellent!
I would recommend this place to friends, but I may not have been happy if we had gotten one of the tiny rooms overlooking the pool/courtyard. I'm glad we were able to be in the room we were given. It's amazing how different the rooms were.
We enjoyed our stay there, and it is within walking distance of everything you want to see in the French Quarter.

1 Thank gg369
Hello gg369,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent stay in New Orleans! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! Thank you for taking the time to post a great review for us. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return visit to the Big Easy!
San Clemente, California
Reviewed March 27, 2014

The "W" is a very nice hotel right in the middle of the French Quarter. We were able to walk everywhere. The staff was excellent and very helpful. One of the managers, Stacey, really helped with our experience. She recommended several restaurants and even went out of her way to make reservations for us. She was so helpful. Even the Valet guys were helpful with directions and recommendations. Awesome place to stay. We will definitely return.
Randy Baird

2 Thank Randy B
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Hello Randy B,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and time in the Quarter. I will be sure to pass along your kind comments and praises to Staci. She will be so pleased to hear from you! We look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to New Orleans!
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had the amazing opportunity to be served by Brian in SoBou. The hotel and the bar are great but Brain was a real star that outshone any other server that we had during our stay in New Orleans. If you like spicy, ask him to make you his custom creation. He calls it the Drew and Ghost Pepper is one of the primary ingredients. Both he and his drink were awesome. I highly recommend both!

1 Thank Ted C
Hello Ted C,
I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us at W French Quarter and SoBou! Thank you for your kind comments about Brian! I will see that your praises are passed along to him. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to New Orleans!