“Awful service for the price tag.”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #74 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Tampa, Florida
“Awful service for the price tag.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

I love W hotels, but not this one. With this property, location is the key feature. If you're looking for the level of service expected at a W, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Let me first say that not one thing was bad enough to involve the management - just a series of issues representative of a lesser quality hotel that left us feeling cheated by the time we checked out and arrived home.

Aside from poor space design, our room was small and the bathroom tiny. According to the front desk, this was an upgrade. If that's the case, I would hate to see our original reservation.

My friends and I were staying for a special occasion the weekend of December 13th.

The service at Sobou was absolutely terrible (I've had better service at a Denny's), our food took forever, and all of our orders were wrong when it finally arrived. Did I mention we were one of three tables? Albeit, it was breakfast, but we decided not to come back for dinner based on the gross incompetence of both the server and the kitchen.

Housekeeping clearly has time management problems as it was typical to see the cleaning cart still in the hall at dinner time. Upon return to our room one day at 4pm, we were told by the young man who had just began servicing the room to come back in 45 minutes or he could skip it.

We also had bad experiences with the front desk. The staff was not able to recommend anything in the city and were disorganized - even misplacing our boarding passes upon checkout.

Normally we would've deferred to the concierge for city recommendations, but there was no concierge on the evening we arrived. Further, the concierge desk was frequently empty - not sure what the issue was here.

The final straw which warrants this review is - upon my return - my family told me they tried for several days to make arrangements prior to my arrival with the concierge to help celebrate my special occasion. They left multiple messages that went unreturned, was bounced around hotel departments only to be told "that's not our job, talk to the concierge", and finally landed at Sobou where they were told special arrangements are not possible. Sobou finally did put a cheese plate together, but only after my mother had a fit when criticised for not going through the concierge. Amazing!!!

I would think that requesting flowers and such to be in a guest's room at check in would not be out of the ordinary - especially at the W - but apparently it was treated as an unusual and annoying request.

To me, it seemed housekeeping and concierge services are grossly understaffed and the restaurant has severe training issues. I don't believe the nightly rate for this W is worth it.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank kkcreative
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Hello A TripAdvisor Member,
I'm sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your recent stay at W French Quarter. Please accept my apology for the quality of service you received while staying with us. Thank you for taking the time to bring these issues to my attention. I will see that they are corrected immediately. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip, and we hope to see you again upon your return to New Orleans.
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from our stay at the W in French Quarter, very highly recommend. We were upgraded to a room with a balcony overlooking the courtyard and checking was very easy. The staff was always so friendly and nice, really made it feel homey. SoBou has great food but we were really impressed with the cocktails. There is a female bartender that knows how to make amazing drinks, go see her! Will definitely be back!

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Hello mjm2012,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay. Thank you for taking the time to share your praises and compliments with our staff, property and restaurant with us on TripAdvisor. I will be sure to tell Abigail, the bar chef at SoBou, how much your loved her cocktails. We can't wait to welcome you back during your next visit!
Sligo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

A trip planned for a long time turned out not as I had dreamed of. I will say firstly, the hotel did do their utmost to rectify their issues but it was too little too late.
A relative of mine works for Starwood and I kindly availed of the special rate. This was much appreciated and I did still pay an average price for the hotel but in my opinion this place is overpriced to begin with. A very special birthday had been planned for my partner and some of his family were also flying in from San Francisco and NY and I myself from Ireland. I wanted it to be a very special occasion. There was a huge football game on and it was an exciting weekend in the making! It was working out fantastic with regard the surprise as the birthday boy always loved the W hotels. But alas, on arrival our room was not available. We were sent to a strange dodgy hotel away out of town and this hotel had an armed sheriff type man on "guard" outside. This, plus the fact we were due to meet the surprise family guests near the hotel led to alot of dismay. We were assured by the sheriff that there had been no major events in almost 6 months and not to worry. The birthday was due the next day so this is where we woke... not in the renowned fancy W hotel.... We returned to the hotel and our room was not available. We were given a voucher for SoBou which was appreciated. The hotel did cover the night in the sheriff hotel and the taxi fare... but it just wasn't the same. Our room was very nice; it had a separate door to a patio area; not one of their best rooms though which was what we were told we would be upgraded to. So I'm not quite sure what their actual average standard room is like if we were upgraded. Items in the room were scant and the glass doors on the bathroom wouldn't be to my personal taste; I don't want to see the silhouette OR view in the mirror of anyone in the bathroom I won't elaborate... sorry for too much info!!!
Other family members thankfully were able to stay the full 3 nights and had not been moved on... they had been assured of birthday cake and champagne to the room each day. Each evening when we returned to the room there was nothing. We didn't expect it to be honest. But why say you will provide something and then not come up with the goods? We were leaving on an early flight and on our last night they left some chocolate balls and a bottle of sparkling wine in the room. I ate them and they were delicious. But at 8 a.m there wasn't much I could do with that drink; which retailed at 11.99 when looked up online.
One last thing was the contact I had made in advance with the concierge; who was delighted to welcome me and offer me all kind of help and advice yet when I wrote to him by email thanking him and asking for a mere six pack of local beer, I never received a response.
I know for a fact the next stay in the Westin in Dublin will be fantastic as they're consistent with the W / Starwood brand but this W in New Orleans seems to thrive on location only and not service. Lets hope they up their game!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
whotelsnola, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Hello IrishPurple -

Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. I'd like to apologize again for the inconvenience you experienced with unexpectedly having to switch hotels on the first night and then for falling short on the some of the service expectations. Our goal is to exceed every guests' expectations and it's disappointing to read when we miss our mark. We would appreciate an opportunity to show you a better experience the next time you're in New Orleans. Thank you again for your feedback as it helps us to improve our operations.

Dauphin Island, AL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed in the "Fabulous" room which is a step up from the standard room. One wall was black, the carpet was black and one wall was bright yellow. The lighting in the room was terrible and recessed so the room felt dark. It was hard to tell how clean the room was or wasn't. We didn't care for the room at all and for the price we paid, wish that we had stayed elsewhere. BUT I do want to say that the front desk and valet staff were some of the best we've ever encountered. They went out of their way to accommodate us and were very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dena M
Hello Dena M,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans. I'm sorry to hear you were somewhat disappointed in your room, but am glad to hear of your praises of our staff. We love going above and beyond for our guests, and I'm glad to hear that those efforts do not go unnoticed. Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We hope to see you again!
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is really nice - gorgeous courtyard, generous rooms (small bathroom though). Staff are very friendly and obliging. The hotel itself is in an excellent location brilliant walking distance to Jackson Square, Cafe du Monde and all that the French Quarter has on offer but equally close to Canal street and it's offerings!

The hotel itself is really boutique - appears to be an old building that has been tastefully renovated into a modern hotel.

Only downside was that the complimentary wifi only extended to the common areas. In room wifi cost extra.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello theduluxdog,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm so happy to hear you had a great stay! Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor! We appreciate your feedback and compliments. I hope you were able to explore the Quarter and find some great restaurants and attractions! We hope to see you again soon!
U.S.A.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Had a 4-night stay at the W French Quarter with spouse, courtesy of an Amex Platinum Card Fine Hotels and Resorts (FHR) promotion (Get 4 nights for the price of 3). If you are familiar with the FHR program, you also get complimentary breakfast, a space-available room upgrade, early check-in, late check-out and one property-specific amenity. At the W French Quarter, this amenity was a $100 food and beverage credit. We were readily recognized on check-in as Platinum card holders, and given a detailed description about the benefits we would receive. Bottom line is that we got a great deal here, so it's hard to complain too much about how costly a room would normally be.

Our stay was not glitch-free, but I have to commend the staff at the W for handling all of our issues quickly. So let's talk about the glitches. First, I should mention that the hotel is in what is obviously an historic building (IE, old). For that reason, the room layouts may seem odd and there may be repair issues. This property has done it's best to keep things modern and refreshed within the confines of this limitation. During our stay, we did have some issues with the heat in the evening. After spending some time in the room and crawling above us in the ceiling, the engineer concluded that we would have to switch rooms. This was our last night, and I grudgingly moved (who wants to shiver to death in the cold while on vacation?) and we were actually downgraded on the room type. However, the hotel did compensate us for this with a generous credit on our bill. As noted above, we actually received a room upgrade for free anyway, as well as a free night, so it is significant that the hotel did this.

We were also given free wi-fi access as part of our stay, but no instructions on how to access the service. I had to call down for instructions. Wi-fi was spotty.

On the first night, I also called to request to empty the mini-bar so that we could store our own things. Oddly, the concierge suggested that housekeeping instead deliver another refrigerator instead of emptying the mini-bar, because there was no one available to empty it until the next day. We ended up emptying the mini-bar ourselves, putting things on top of the refrigerator. I informed the concierge of this, and got the impression that someone would take the items the next day. In the end, all the items stayed there the entire time. I was worried that we would be charged for all that stuff since no one formally removed them from the mini-bar, but that was never a problem. The concierge did apparently make a note that we emptied the bar ourselves when I spoke with him.

I will note that parking here is a whopping $46 a night! (we had an SUV, which is apparently charged a higher rate) We knew that the parking was going to be high going in, and had intended to park at a nearby public lot. However, on the evening of our arrival, there was a Saints game on and we didn't want to deal with the hassle of trying to find parking. We sucked it up and parked the car at the hotel for the first night, and moved it to a public lot the next day. Although we communicated that we were moving the car to the valet, this information was apparently not transmitted to the front desk. We were thus charged for parking for all four nights. However, when I brought this to the attention of the front desk, they quickly and cheerfully removed the excess fees.

Finally, there was one night where we did not receive housekeeping service. Not a big deal, but one does expect better when staying at a W.

Now for the good stuff. The hotel allows you to borrow a DVD player for in-room use. Spouse and I do enjoy watching a DVD on our "down" evenings, especially when on an extended vacation, so this was plus. Given the daily free breakfast and the food/beverage credit as part of the FHR package, we did enjoy the restaurant (Sobou) and found most of the food and drinks at the bar to be quite good, and also non-extortionate in terms of pricing. I will especially note that the FHR breakfast credit is $49 per person daily, which was pretty incredible. There was really no way to eat that much. Within the confines of having to remodel an old building, I found our room to be up to the funky and modern standards of a W, and appreciated the Bliss toiletries in the bathroom. On the flipside of this, however, is that the bathroom seemed to be laid out to emphasize looks rather than the utility. There was quite limited space to put things, and not even a towel rack to hang your towels.

The location and uniqueness of the property really make this hotel. It is an intimate, boutique experience, you are definitely not staying at a soulless mega-hotel. Not sure if this would be a practical place to stay while on business though, and I was told by the front desk that there is no business center, which I found surprising. It was good for me as someone on vacation. You are walking distance to anywhere worthwhile in the heart of the French Quarter, but just off the beaten path enough to enjoy some serenity as well. We did not use our car except to drive to a swamp tour.

The staff did everything that they could to fix the glitches we experienced, and really tried hard never to say "no" to anything. Definite props for that. Despite our glitches, I would definitely stay there again and would recommend this place to others with the caveat that this is a boutique/historic property that comes with "features" that some travelers might not appreciate.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello yamabachi,
Thank you so much for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit and for taking the time to write such a fabulous review of our property and your experience! I apologize for the minor glitches you experienced during your stay, but I'm happy to hear our staff was able to fix them in a timely and efficient manner. We really appreciate all of your comments and feedback! I hope you enjoyed your vacation in the Big Easy! We cannot wait to welcome you back to W French Quarter upon your return.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

What a great experience. Best rooms face inside courtyard. Its not your typical W, but an old converted hotel into a W. Luxury botique experience. Valet's are great and the courtyard is beautiful. You can walk to everything in the french quarter. Restaurant is good, but there are many many other close by. SPG points are a plus too. I cant wait to go back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello travelerlux2013,
Thank you for choosing W French Quarter during your recent visit to New Orleans! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and your time in the city. Thank you for taking the time to review our property on TripAdvisor and provide us with your feedback. We really appreciate it! We hope to see you again soon!