“Great location for a New Orleans experience”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #71 of 161 Hotels in New Orleans
Los Angeles
“Great location for a New Orleans experience”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The W Hotel French Quarter is the perfect location to explore New Orleans. You'll be right in the middle of all the action. You can roll out of bed and walk a few blocks to Cafe de Monde. However, there are a few issues with the rooms that need to be worked on. The rooms have been remodeled and look great, but there are a few little touches that they didn't take care of. For example: why put a desk in a hotel room without an accessible plug near it for a computer to plug-in. Also in the bathroom there is no towel bar, just one hook to hang all of your towels, and robes. There isn't a place to unpack your stuff. There are just a few strange cubbies that are not very effective. Other than that the hotel staff has been very helpful and we had a great time. The hotel bar and restaurant are very cool and the courtyard of the hotel is a great place to hangout.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the courtyard it'll be more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Hello helphand,
thank you for taking the time to share your review. I am glad to hear you enjoyed our newly redesigned property, and I appreciate your feedback about the new elements in the guestrooms. It sounds like you also indulged in our new restaurant SoBou, I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed it. On behalf of our Talent, thank you for your compliments, we are glad to you had a great time!
James Wroblewski

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Pine Mountain, GA
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We were there for a business trip for a convention. The hotel is convenient to both the french quarter and the convention center. The rooms were nice with the comforts of home. The staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Hello MPython22 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm glad to hear that your trip went well and that you enjoyed your stay at W French Quarter. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed December 27, 2012

The best way to summarize my stay was "average." There was very little difference from a stay at a lower end hotel. I don't want to be too detailed but here are some bullet points.

Positives:

Great location in the heart of the French Quarter.

Very well kept staff; appearance standards are very high.

Negatives:

The elevators are very slow and this issue is exacerbated by the staff utilizing them.

The lighting in this hotel is TERRIBLE…I had a big issue with this and I’m a guy. You will feel ugly if you stay at this hotel. The elevator is a 360 mirror but don’t look up or you’ll be faced with a doppelganger of yourself in a disgusting blue hue. The bathroom in the Spectacular Room has cold lighting from behind. Looking at yourself in the mirror is difficult and unsettling.

The toilet paper in the Spectacular Room is lodged between the sink basin and the toilet seat. You cannot get to it. Not a big deal, but unnecessarily inconvenient.

On my 2nd night at the hotel, I took a nap around 7 or 8PM. I woke up to someone beating on my door but I didn’t get up as I assumed it was a housekeeper looking for turndown service. The beating went on for a good five minutes…4.5 minutes longer than it should have. Then, they opened my door! Fortunately, the latch was closed, they got the hint, and left. My fault for not hanging the DND, I suppose.

On my first night there, I noted that room service closed at 11PM. When I called down at 10PM the whatever/whenever girl said asked me what my room service book said as far as what time room service closed…I told her “11PM.” She said she would call right back. In her return call she advised me that room service closed at 10PM and the Chef was gone. No…your book says “11PM.”

I bought some confectionaries that needed refrigeration which I put in my mini-fridge/mini-bar. The housekeeper threw them away.

The heater in my room didn’t work. It was roughly 60 degrees outside and therefore the temperature of the room floated at around 70 degrees. That being said, I did not call down for engineering…mostly because I didn’t want someone in my room for an extended period of time. Nevertheless, it certainly didn’t help my impression of the property.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank DannyLoft
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Hello DannyLoft -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm disappointed to hear that our property did not meet your expectations and apologize for the issues you faced. If there's anything that we can do to make this right, please feel free to email us at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The staff was incredibly nice and the rooms are very hip. But the property poses challenges.

The rooms are very small. Some are situated around the pool. First floor courtyard rooms have a front door that opens on the pool and a rear door that opens on private courtyards with private hot tubs. Very romantic. Unfortunately the rooms have no windows other than the two french doors, one on each side, which I found to be quite claustrophobic. There is also no room for a roll-away bed, but the hotel will happily supply you with an air mattress if you need a place for a child. Hm...

Despite the hot tubs, I feel that the upstairs rooms are better choices as they offer more privacy and, realistically, they have windows that look out on the French Quarter. Why stay in the Quarter if you don't have a window? As it was, I had noise from the pool area late into the night.

The workout room is very small and there was no water or emergency phone. Hotel staff were concerned that there was no water. They know that there is no phone; it's on order and isn't expected for some time. I'm unclear why they can't put a temporary phone in the room. This is a safety issue that should be addressed.

The SoBou ("South of Bourbon") restaurant breakfast experience was substandard, with poor service and a continental breakfast that had a stale croissant and boxed cereal. The hotel staff was concerned as well and took note of my comments.

There is no traditional W "Living room" or bar, so much of the W charm was missing.

Internet quite poor — I kept losing connections. And no Internet in the courtyard rooms.

My bathroom door could not lock. It had a lock, but the lock didn't line up with the door jam. The door could NEVER have worked. I wonder why it wasn't noticed when it was installed?

Poor, cramped design of the room itself. Not a single mirror in the room other than the mirrored walls in the bathroom. No place to hang towels except for inside the shower, which presents a problem. There was no desk in my room. NO DESK! There was a counter of sorts, but no place to work (the counter came down too far to put your legs under it), and no chair.

Once again, the staff was exceptionally friendly. Unfortunately, the property itself is lacking.

Recommended for Couples, not for business or family.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the courtyard.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chinny100
Hello chinny100 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. I apologize for the challenges that you faced during your stay and appreciate you informing our Welcome Office so that we could address your concerns. We're always making improvements to our facility so we appreciate the constructive feedback from our guests. I hope that you'll consider trying out one of our other spacious rooms next time such as a Mega Room, which offers a different configuration that might better suit your needs. Thank you again!

Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed December 24, 2012

I arrived slightly after midnight, and was greeted immediately with friendly, helpful service.. They immediately took care of my checkin, gave me some suggestions for breakfast, renewed my SPG account, and asked if there was anything else they could help me with..

I was there less than 10 hours, as this was a business trip - but was able to spend some time drinking coffee in the very creative outdoor lounge area - right next to the "wet deck"/pool which was being renovated - to be ready in the next few days.

If I can make it back to New Orleans - I'd definitely stay with The W French Quarter again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Chris R -

I know your stay was brief, but thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm glad that everything went so well while you were here and we look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay next time!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here for a bowl game and the hotel was great but service was even better. Quentin Scott is the Acura driver and took us to the Superdome!!! He made that experience way more fun than we ever thought. He even went above and beyond when checking by getting our car from valet when it wasn't even his job. The hotel was great and in a perfect location or lots of fun but the service definitely changed the game for us. We will definitely be back and will make sure Quentin is working!

• Stayed December 2012
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Hello Jada811 -

Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience at W French Quarter with us. I'm glad to hear that you not only enjoyed our hotel, but that Quentin really made your stay memorable. Delivering exceptional service is what we strive to do daily and we love hearing accounts of our team members leaving positive lasting impressions on our guests. We can't wait to welcome you back on your next trip.

Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The W New Orleans French Quarter Hotel is truly different than any hotel I have saved at and it's conveniently located only blocks from Bourbon Street. The architecture fits in with the area and the rooms are decorated in a very unique style. The rooms are very clean, the service is excellent which is what I would expect from a premium hotel. My room had it's own balcony which would be nice if I had had more time to enjoy it. Everything is within walking distance of the hotel and there are numerous restaurants, bars, shops and a surprising number of strip clubs especially on Bourbon Street so it may not be the most kid friendly area.

Room Tip: I'd ask if the room has a balcony just to be sure.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Hello Grizzly660 -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing your experience with us. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us!