“WFQ - Highly recommend”

W New Orleans - French Quarter
Ranked #68 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Hotel location is perfect, just far enough from crazyiness of Bourbon. We came down with 6 guys for a stag. All were first timers to NOLA. Took a stretch limo from airport $98 one way, so much better than a cab. Hotel lobby staff is great, can't say enough about Aerial and Shawn. We had 3 rooms on the third floor, all were nicely renovated with art deco lighting. The gym is fully loaded with treadmills, crosstraining and freeweights. Note: Each room was different in size. The beds were the highlight of the room, slept like a baby. Improvement List: 1) Bad wifi service, timed out every 5 miniutes. 2) No hot tub by the pool. 3) Room service a bit spotty. Overall great experience.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chris S
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2012

Hello Chris -

Thank you for recommending W French Quarter on TripAdvisor and for staying at our property on your first trip to the Big Easy! I hope that you had a great time in the city while you were here. I'll definitely pass along your compliments to the talent and will also work with my team to improve any lapse in service. I apologize for any inconveniences and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

James Wroblewski

Write a ReviewReviews (1,051)

Reviewed September 25, 2012

So, we finally arrive at the W hotel after a long drive from Memphis. It's 4:30 PM, well after check-in time which is at 3 PM, and our room isn't ready. We get free drinks on the house and wait patiently at the bar.
After one hour I receive a phone call saying that we can check in now. We pick up our keys, and since there's no bell boy to help, we push a luggage trolly with the luggage ourselves.

We get into our room, and it's a beautiful bright room, with two queen beds. But I found a big surprise in the bathroom, which has dirty towels on the floor and obviously hasn't been cleaned. We notice a cover being pushed off the bed, and "a dent" in the sheets as if somebody's been standing or sitting on top of it. We also notice a smell of electrical fire, so we quickly call in, hoping to get these things fixed (sheets changed, bathroom properly cleaned).

They appoligize for the inconvenience and say that the room is being serviced and that they checked us in there by mistake. They send us to another room. Nobody there to help with the luggage again. We drag it ourselves.

The room no.2 is a cave. It has a tiny window at the back of the hallway which opens into a wall. We call in and ask them to honor our reservation & room category reserved.

They said they have another room, but it may be a while before it's ready. She suggests we go and bring our luggage downstairs. I am really offended by this suggestion and after letting them know that, they say they don't mind having the bell boy do that for us. It's 6 pm.

We return at 8:30 pm and out keys are ready. Room no.3 has a bigger window looking over the courtyard and it's a same size as a cave previously offered. I don't mind the size anymore. I'm just tired and want to take a shower and crash. But wait a minute, there are no towels. We call in for towels. They bring them 20 minutes later.

Then we find that the ice bucket hasn't been changed/emptied/cleaned. Once I move the cover, I find that the bed hasn't been maded properly. Looks like a three yr old has done it.

It seemed like there was no end to this long list of things that are simply wrong, especially if you have a reputation to keep.

Then I remember that we got offered $5 credit for every day we refuse housekeeping services. I guess they are permanently understaffed here. I wish we hadn't pre-paid our 3 night stay. We would've been out of there after that 1st night gone wrong.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SuzerSchmoozer
wneworleans, General Manager at W New Orleans - French Quarter, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Hello SuzA430 -

I appreciate the feedback you provided about your recent stay at our property. I'm sorry that the service and the rooms you received were not up to the W standard that we usually provide. I assure you that we don't take criticism lightly. I will address your issues with the appropriate departments. If you'd like to provide any additional feedback, please feel free to contact me at wfqcservice@whotels.com. If there's anything that we can do to turn your opinion around, please let me know as we'd love to welcome you back in the future to show you the experience that you should have had the first time.

Thank you again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Just spent 5 days/4 nites at the W French Quarter. Hotel is ideally situated in the FQ, close to everything and a gorgeous property. Remodel is great and very trendy. . . Overall, the stay had highs and lows. Front desk staff was spotty, the use of the MDX was good and now they are taking reservations like every other W hotel. So Bou is awesome and the bartenders and servers were wonderful. . . So, it is not like I hated my stay there. . .it just wasn't up to par of a W hotel experience.

Main issue that I have has to do with the support staff - Our room was never really made up properly. The bathroom was not properly cleaned for the entire 5 days I stayed, normally they will move your items and wipe down the counter, add kleenex if you need it, leave towels, give you more soap and shampoo. . you know. . .normal stuff. This was not the case, even to point that the last day we had no tissues, 1 towel and no soap or shampoo after the room was serviced. When I asked the front desk for more, they didn't send anything up. . . .

ALSO, they were having problems with the hot water, so I had luke warm - at best - showers the entire trip. Now, I understand there can be issues in infrastructure but you let your guests know about it. . .leave a note on the bed apologizing and let them know when it will be fixed. What I got was, "We know and hope to get it fixed."

Overall, the hotel is a great place to stay and I would consider staying there again. . . Just need to work on the service.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the courtyard. . .but be ware I stayed in room 429 and it was big enough to fit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank GFTraveler1

Hello GFTraveler1 -

Thank you for the helpful feedback you provided about your recent stay with us. I appreciate the compliments about our new redesign and am pleased that you took advantage of our exclusive Acura service. I'm sorry about the challenges you had with the service to your room and am passing this along to our Style department. Your input helps us to make important improvements to our service.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to New Orleans to show you a true W experience. If there's anything that we can do for you in the meantime, please contact us at wfqcservice@whotels.com.

Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

If you want to settle in to the French Quarter in style, check out the redecorated W. Don't let the quaint exterior fool you; the new interiors are a trendy retreat from the muggy NOLA street scene. Sorry that the Brennan's changed the menu and not just their decor with replacing Italian standard Bacco with a lower end and inferior tasting SoBo. Travelers need more than two entrees from which to choose. Seems they are trying a bit too hard.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello RUFFEE -

Thank you for your nice compliments about our new decor and for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter. We know you have a choice of a lot of hotels and appreciate your business. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy SoBou as much, but hope that you'll give it another chance on your next visit. I'm sure that our chef can put together something nice for you. Thank you again for choosing W New Orleans - French Quarter.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The staff is great, especially Staci!!!!! Very friendly and knowledgable! You won't have a bad time here. The Hotel is very clean and well decorated. Beautiful courtyard! You won't be disappointed! It's was our anniversary and they gave champagne and rose pedles before we got to room with a hand written card. Their recomaditions on restaurants to go to were amazing!! Couldn't say one bad thing.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello Chrisbier -

Wow! Thank you for such an incredible review of W New Orleans - French Quarter! I'm so pleased that we were able to surprise you with champagne and rose petals on your anniversary and to hear that Staci made wonderful recommendations. Thank you for letting us be a part of such a special occasion in your lives. We look forward to welcoming you back again on your next anniversary!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

During a work trip, decided to take a break from other FQ hotels and stay at the W. I was highly disappointed to see that there is no MSNBC channel offered, and management would do well to see that their is fair and balanced offerings with the upcoming political season in November. There were Fox channels, but do not care for their biased and often ludicrous news offerings. Other than that, the rooms are a bit small, and staff was excellent and positive. So Management if you ever read these review, please consider adding MSNBC to you lineup. Fitness center was closed at the time, and offered alternative use of Sheraton facilities.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Aleshia B

Hello Aleshia B -

Thank you for choosing W French Quarter and for sharing some feedback about your recent experience with us. I apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to watch MSNBC while you were here. We try to offer a variety of channels through our service provider and will look into the offerings to make sure we have a balance of coverage.

I'll pass along your compliments to our staff. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to New Orleans.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

The Pros: The location is extremely convenient - walking distance to everything in the French Quarter. The front desk staff and other staff were very helpful and accommodating. The courtyard was a great place to relax with friends at the start or the end of an evening. The bed was comfy and I liked the game-themed design of the location. And given the hot location, thank god for the pool

The Cons: The bathrooms are tiny. Not very functional to use. But they have great Bliss products although they were not regularly refreshed by housekeeping.

A $15 / day / device internet fee is egregious, especially considering the wifi generally did not work in the courtyard and that it was slower than dial-up speed. (I know because I speedtested it every day - 0.29 mb/s download and 0.47 mb/s upload speed in the rooms - a carrier pigeon could transport data faster than that.). I had to go seek out a cafe to get some work done while there because the internet kept failing and after being charged that much for internet service, that is pretty ridiculous.

It seemed like they were still working out the kinks of room service since the new restaurant had just opened up. The staff was extremely apologetic for the delays in the food service, so that helped.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Hello Complexsugar -

Thanks for your feedback about your recent stay at W New Orleans - French Quarter. We appreciate your comments about the Internet service as it helps us to recognize areas where we can improve. It is something that we're looking into and trying to fix. I'm glad that our staff was so helpful and accommodating during your stay and that you enjoyed our new redesign. We took inspiration from cultural elements significant to the city. I hope that you'll consider staying with us again in the future. If there's anything that I can do for you in the meantime, please contact me at wfqcservice@whotels.com.