“It's Ok”
Review of Hotel Le Marais

Hotel Le Marais
Ranked #10 of 167 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After reading all the rave reviews here, I had high hopes for this hotel, which is maybe why I thought it was just ok--perfectly fine and serviceable, but not as extraordinary as I expected it to be. The location is prime and the best thing I can say about it. I did not get my wake-up call (thank goodness that was only a backup in case my cell didn't work, or I would've missed my flight); the carpet was dirty and needed vacuuming; I had to leave a note for Housekeeping to leave a roll of toilet tissue; and the breakfast was utterly cold one morning but fine the rest of the week. I would not stay here again not because it was terrible, but there are so many other options in NOLA and this one did not wow me.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for the quiet rooms, but even then be aware that you can't control your fellow ho...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank shaomin

Reviewed September 9, 2013

The rooms were comfortable and the beds were amazing. Wi-fi and breakfast were included, and they even provided some free drink tickets. You can't beat it's location near bourbon street, the only warning is due to the location, it can be loud at times, but this didn't bother us. I'd highly recommend it again.

Room Tip: Get one on a higher floor to hear less of bourbon st
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel le marais. We are honored that out of many options in New Orleans, you have chosen to stay with us. Also, it is very great to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable rooms, amazing bed, free Wi-Fi, complimentary continental breakfast, and complimentary drink tickets upon arrival. You are right; we are definitely centrally located and close to all the attractions that this great city has to offer. Once again, thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hotel le marais. We hope to see you again in your future visit to New Orleans.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I get to NO often and have stayed in many of the hotels in the Quarter. Just returned from a four day stay at the Marais. Many positives about this trendy venue beginning with the location. You are minutes to great restaurants and shopping on Royal AND literally steps to the wonderful chaos on Bourbon. Regardless, this smaller hotel is an oasis of comfort and calm that is needed in such a vibrant and dynamic city.

The rooms are very comfortable and the pool and newer fitness center are great assets that I used daily. I also appreciated the free wireless and daily breakfast. I also agree that the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Just be aware that there are no minibars or refrigerators in the rooms and only one slow elevator. I just used the stairs to support my cardio routine.

You will be glad you selected this hotel!

Room Tip: Can grab free bottled water in the gym if you need it and make sure you have a po-boy at Johnnies.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience at the Hotel le marais. You are absolutely right; we are centrally located in the heart of the French Quarter and very close to the action of Bourbon St. and the shopping of Royal St. We appreciate your kind words regarding the calm atmosphere of the hotel and comfortable rooms. It is great to hear that you have enjoyed our heated salt water pool in the courtyard, 24-hour fitness center, free wifi, and complimentary continental breakfast. Also, we are glad that friendliness and efficiency of our staff has met your expectations. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hotel le marais. We are hoping to serve you again in the future during one of your trips to New Orleans.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

I usually prefer staying at independent boutique hotels as opposed to the larger "name brand" hotels and therefore chose to stay at Hotel Le Marais as opposed to the many other larger hotels in the French Quarter or the large luxury hotels on Canal Street. Here are the good and bad things about this hotel:

The Good:
Fantastic location near good restaurants and within walking distance of everything in the French Quarter. Convenient to pretty much everything in the area.
Rooms are nicely styled and contemporary with a great TV and very comfortable beds. Our room faced the courtyard and was very quiet. The Courtyard itself is nice and the pool is lovely.
We were checked in right away and our room was ready even though it was several hours before regular check in time.
The front desk was able to book us a tour at a discounted rate.
Free fast wi-fi.

The Bad:
I was generally unimpressed with the level of service we received. While everyone was very pleasant, I never felt as though the front desk staff/concierge was going beyond perfunctory service. For example, when asked about things to do outside of the French Quarter (specifically, if there were any bars in the Warehouse District that we could go to before a restaurant reservation in that area), one woman at the front desk simply said - No. I asked the bartender at the hotel bar 5 minutes later and she gave me two good suggestions. Later we asked when the jazz started at the hotel across the street and the same front desk person said she didn't know. Only after prompting did she call to find out and then hung up the phone when other guests came to the front desk before we could get the information. We quickly learned that googing and looking on yelp were better options than the concierge.
Additionally, the cleaning service at the hotel was very limited. They failed to throw out obvious trash and left cleaning supplies in the room. It appeared that all they were doing was pulling up the sheets on the bed and taking out the garbage.

Overall, while the hotel is lovely and the location great, I had higher expectations for the level of service based on the many 5 star ratings on this website and the "#2 hotel in New Orleans" designation. I would stay here again but was generally disappointed in the service.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard facing room to avoid noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mfraser6
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This is a very nice boutique hotel in the middle of the NOLA French Quarter. The hotel is very nicely decorated, the rooms are clean - but small - and the staff is very friendly. There is a small gym with a couple treadmills which is nice to have if you are staying during the heat and humidity of the summer. Two complementary drinks at check-in are a nice feature. My one complaint - we stayed in a Superior King described as having a courtyard view. The window actually looked out on the exterior wall of the elevator. If you peered diagonally, you could catch a glimpse of the courtyard, but I object to the marketing of our room as having a view. I did mention this to the front desk and they did offer to move us, but as we were staying for just one night, we declined. Parking was a great perk as it was quite easy to have the car pulled out when we needed it (we went for dinner in the garden district). The courtyard is quite pretty however we did not actually sit out there as it was just too hot!

Room Tip: Room 305 does not have a view of the courtyard!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay at the Hotel le marais during your recent visit to New Orleans. We appreciate your kind words regarding the decor of our hotel, clean rooms, and friendly staff. I completely agree with you that the 24-hour fitness center is a great place to work out in especially during the hot summer months. Also, your two complimentary drinks upon check-in can beat the summer heat as well. We are glad that you were able to utilize our valet service which is definitely a convenience being in the French Quarter. We do hope that you choose to stay with us again in the future so that you may enjoy our wonderful courtyard. Once again, thank you for staying at the Hotel le marais.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The location was extremely convenient, close to the action on Bourbon Street, yet a nice quiet refuge from the craziness. Lobby, grounds, and room were in excellent shape. The complimentary continental breakfast was good. The free Wi-Fi worked great. The best thing about the hotel was the staff. Every single person we dealt with was friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and focused on making sure our stay was a good one.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your recent stay at the Hotel le marais. We definitely are centrally located in the heart of the French Quarter, a few steps away from the great attractions that this dynamic city has to offer. We do make it a priority that the hotel is well maintained for the enjoyment of our guests. Also, we are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary continental breakfast and free wifi. Our staff is dedicated in making sure that our guests have the best experience at our hotel. Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Hotel le marais and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The staff at Hotel Le Marais was very friendly; however, when asked for little requests (such as giving us tickets for the package we booked or booking one of the tours) they seemed a little bewildered and took some time to sort out. The room was nice and clean and the location in the French Quarter is very convenient; however, I was very disappointed that my balcony room did not have a table and chairs on the balcony. Just a couple plastic chairs would have been more than adequate. Also, the hotel does not offer room service which, again, would have been nice on the (largely unused) balcony.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple