“Not all I'd hoped it would be”
Review of Hotel Le Marais

Hotel Le Marais
Ranked #9 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First timers road trip to New Orleans

We decided to drive to New Orleans almost on a whim, I had 2 weeks off at the end of April, my wife just got a new car in December & she said “Let’s go to New Orleans”. In January I started the research (obsessing, DW calls it), mostly here on TA. I read the forums almost daily & soon discovered the Jazz festival would be on while we were in town.

After some initial sticker shock @ hotel prices I decided to treat ourselves to a nice hotel in the French Quarter. I settled on the Le Marais , rated #1 on TA. I had a great deal of difficulty actually making the reservation as the hotel website did not work, the 1-800 # did not work (maybe b/c I was calling from Canada?) and the “contact us “ message box on the website got an acknowledgement of receiving my message, but no reply ever came. I finally gave up & called directly, was put through to reservations & no one answered! A second call got the front desk to answer my queries about price & availability & initially I just booked Weds & Thursday due to price & availability.
I got a confirmatory e-mail, but when I replied with some questions, it bounced with some message about too many forwards & something about an e-mail loop.
A few days later on the TA hotel review page for Le Marais, someone else complained about the difficulties contacting the hotel & Ms Ruglas replied. I got her e-mail & outlined my above difficulties. She was appropriately apologetic & said she would look into the issues. I replied to her that we had been offered a choice of courtyard or street side balcony, & initially I said it didn’t matter, but after speaking with DW, we would prefer a courtyard balcony. She replied that none were available at present, but she would keep an eye on our request if anything came up in the next couple of months.
After continued reading on the forums I decided we needed more than 2 nights in town, esp if we were going to attend jazz fest Fri. I wound up booking Fri night in the Hilton Garden inn by the convention centre as there was little availability elsewhere for < $300.
When we finally arrived, check in was pretty easy, the bellman took our car & brought our luggage in. We were assigned a room on the first floor, up a flight of stairs & I wound up carrying most of the luggage up the stairs as the bellman had a pronounced limp. When we got to the room it was a nice king suite, but the first thing I noticed; no balcony. I phoned the front desk immediately and said we had been promised a balcony room I was told “That was a *request*, you booked a king superior & that’s the only one available, a balcony room should be available tomorrow”

Well, no, it wasn’t a request I was told we were getting a balcony room, the only request was for courtyard vs street side This issue had a bearing on my next sore spot, b/c we had no balcony, I went down to the courtyard @ midnight to smoke a cigar. I opened the closed door to the courtyard & stepped out to light my cigar when the night person on duty came out & told me I couldn’t be there as it was closed after the bar shut down (by midnight?!) When I calmly said I paid a lot of money for my room & why couldn’t I sit in the courtyard & smoke my cigar, I was told in a patronizing tone “because it’s closed”. Nice. So I had to go stand on the street out front next to the big pile of garbage from the restaurant next door.

Normally these issues wouldn’t be such a big deal, but when you drive 4 days to get somewhere & then pay north of $600 with parking & tax for 2 nights, you expect everything to be perfect. It wasn’t.

The next day we were out & about all day &didn’t have time hang around our room dealing with changing rooms, & nobody from the front desk contacted us in any case.

Also, as there was no food or room service available other than the standard steamer dish hotel breakfast, a mini-fridge/ microwave like those we found in virtually every other hotel on the trip would have been handy.
It was a nice place overall, but with the price we paid, these 2 issues left a bad taste, so I would probably stay elsewhere next time.

1  Thank harrison6723
Write a ReviewReviews (3,339)

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Le Marais. Pierre and the rest of the hotel staff were always very friendly and accommodating. The room was a good size. I’m not sure what some of the other reviewers were complaining about (or expecting): we had a standard king room and it was about the same size as a standard room at most hotels. It was well appointed and the bed was very comfortable.
The pool area was really nice, and if we hadn't been out running ourselves ragged, we would have liked to take advantage of it more often.
If there was one thing that wasn't perfect about our stay, it was that we were near a door that slammed shut. It never woke us up, but sometimes we could hear it closing when we were trying to fall to sleep.
We will definitely stay here the next time that we are in New Orleans.

1  Thank Resident_Tourist_TO
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

It has been such a great delight to read this wonderful review of Hotel le marais here in TripAdvisor. We are really glad to hear that you and your wife really enjoyed your stay and that our staff especially Pierre went above and beyond to exceed your needs. I will make sure to share this beautiful review with my staff. Thank you so much for choosing us and please comeback and see us again.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

As we stepped out of the crowded loud streets of the Bourbon Street area into Hotel Le Marais we immediately found a different world. The hotel lobby is sophisticated and the staff is very helpful (especially Pierre, who seems to work every day shift and really makes everyone feel at home). We spent 4 days there during Jazz Fest and felt very relaxed at the HLM. The fact that the hotel is small, well maintained and cozy really helped.
The common areas include a cool bar (where an adequate included breakfast is served) and a heated pool with several sitting areas. The fitness center is small with 2 treadmills, 1 recline bike and an FX machine plus a pulley machine and dumbells. The New Orleans Athletic Club is about 6 blocks away and accepts day guests for $20 if you need a full workout.
Our room overlooked the pool and was suprisingly quiet although we heard that the rooms facing Conti street do get a bit of street noise. The room itself was comfortable well appointed with plenty of room to spread out and chill. The only blemish during our stay was the very late sketchy housekeeping one day but the other 3 days were spot on. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TarHeelsVirginia
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2016

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel le marais during your recent trip to New Orleans. We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience with the word through our TripAdvisor community. Once again, thank you for staying at Hotel le marais!

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We stayed at this excellent hotel for three nights in early April. The hotel itself is an oasis about ½ block from the raucous part of Bourbon Street, noise from which was simply not a factor at all (we were in room 409). The staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. The interior spaces of the lobby, bar, and patio-pool area are very comfortable, stylish, and inviting. The hotel is perfectly situated for getting around the French Quarter as well as the trolleys and main roads to the other parts of the city. Our room was very comfortable: excellent bed with lots of pillows, free WiFi, in-room safe, working amenities, plenty of space, French windows and balcony for fresh air. The breakfast (included in our price) was good – eggs, bacon, sausage, pastries, breads, cereals, fruit, yogurt, etc. The pool/patio area is a pleasant courtyard tucked into a space off the bar and lobby. Our only complaint is the weak water stream in our room’s shower, but this is minor . We don’t see how one can go wrong staying at this hotel. It was perfect for our needs and this is certainly where we will stay if we return to the French Quarter.

2  Thank California86
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We were so excited to be staying at the Number 1 hotel in N.O. However, we were dismayed by several factors:
1) the guest standing at the desk with us as we were checking in was offered a room for $40 less than what we booked 8 months out (they did adjust our bill however)
2) the room was tiny, carpet dirty, paperclip on rug..(did they vacuum?), bathroom sink cracked, only one robe, so we asked for another room, which they accommodated
3) the hallway carpets could use a good cleaning with a Rug Doctor; they don't smell clean and there is an odor of old food
4) the continental breakfast is disappointing: omelettes pre-made and rubbery, everything else ordinary

Overall, great location but if you want a stellar experience for your $400 a night (during jazz fest) this may not be it. If you like a bathtub, an in-room bar, glass instead of plastic cups, a real closet you can close the doors on, the option of room service, etc...keep looking.

1  Thank Ssoossyy
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. We deeply appreciate that you chose to stay with us and we are deeply sorry that we weren't able to meet your expectations. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention as we have already discussed them with the whole team and they have been addressed. Thank you so much for staying with us and we would love to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future. Warm Greetings!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was a part of a group of five women who stayed at Hotel Le Marais in New Orlean (rooms 503, 506, and 511 from April 3-7, 2013, and am happy to "share my opinin" with TripAdvisor.
Our rooms/beds were just fine, the "free" breakfasts were above average, and the public areas were spotless and attractive.

The best part: The entire hotel staff was WONDERFUL! Special mention must go to EUGENE< PIERRE< JAMAL, MARIANA...and to the young man from the Philippines (whose namie I forgot....sorry!) who was recently promoted to a new posistion as a front desk General or Manager. They were all incredibly cheerful, efficient, and bent over backwards to make sure our group felt comfortable, happy, and SPECIAL.

That said, I have only two "negatives:

(1) Our reservations were VERY mixed up/confused, despite making them in October or November, 2012...almost until the minute we arrived. Susan Adams and I bombarded the Hotel Le Marias with MANY phone calls and emails. It worked out well in the end though thank goodness, but it truly was a mess. The reservations people and/or 1-800 # people need more training (or replacing).

(2) Another small gripe....the blu, overhead lighting in the lounge area at night is just plain weird. It makes everyone looked washed-out, sickly! Think PINK! or have little table lamps....or....

All in all though, Hotel Le Marais was a great choice for our group and enabled us to have a good New Orleans-style experience!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sparx1
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

We are very honor to hear that you chose Hotel le marais for your 50th year High School Reunion and that you had a marvelous time! We deeply appreciate that you took the time to share your opinion with other travelers here in TripAdvisor. Our team spends many hours of customer service training so they can provide our guests an unforgetable and personal experience like yours-I will make sure to pass on this beautiful review to my staff. We are deeply sorry to hear that you had problems with your reservations but we are glad that we were able to resolve the confussion. We will definitely take your suggesstion into account with our blue overhead lighting. Thank you so much for staying with us and please comeback soon!

Reviewed April 27, 2013

First time in New Orleans from Canada. Five of us travelling on business stayed there for several nights arriving April 23, 2013. Booking the five rooms via phone was the most painful experience I have ever had for a hotel, I was on the phone for 25 minutes and had to re-iterate what I wanted several times, then go through each room booking one at a time and regurgitate my credit card number several times during that process which seemed a bit ridiculous. I would recommend booking online if possible.

Overall great stay. Very nice hotel, rooms very clean, quiet despite it's close location to Bourbon street (only 1/2 block away), very convenient location for hitting up the Bourbon nightlife, awesome outdoor lounge area and great bar (you even get one free drink upon check-in). Had the free continental breakfast on our last day, it is available after 7:30AM. Food was great.

Parking is across the street in a shared underground parkade in the neighboring hotel, valet drivers at both facilities were absolutely awesome and very helpful and courteous. Upon arrival I self-parked as there was no room on the street to stop and check-in with valet, found out after you can just park on the downramp into the parkade if there is no room onstreet then check in to get valet. The front desk attendant was a bit rude when I tried converting my self-park checkin over to valet as she had already "processed her paperwork" for the night; it was actually the neighboring hotel valet attendant that demonstrated the customer service I would expect in this situation and told us he would look after it. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Grant_S25

It was such a pleasure to host your reservations for you and your group during your first visit to New Orleans and there is no better place than to stay at Hotel le marais. We are very sorry that you had such a hard time booking your reservations but I am glad to inform you that we just transferred to a different call center that will provide our guests a better booking experience. I have to agree with you as Hotel le marais has the privileged to be located right in the heart of the French Quarter which allows you the ability to walk to the Bourbon street nightlife, great restaurants and great jazz music. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary cocktail at our VIVE! Bar and our complimentary breakfast. We are deeply sorry to hear that we weren't able to provide you with the high quality of service we are known for but I hope that this incident doesn't keep you from giving Hotel le marais another chance to serve you. Thank you for staying with us and we sure hope to see you again!