“A great place to stay in the Quarter”
Review of Hotel Le Marais

Hotel Le Marais
Ranked #7 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Annapolis, Maryland, United States
“A great place to stay in the Quarter”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Friends and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nites in various rooms. The hotel/front desk was very accomodating in extending our stay and changing rooms for us as we were a bit disorganized. We had originally reserved a 4th floor room with a balcony that turned out to be unavailable but overall, that did not put a damper on our experience. I would recommend springing for the largest possible room. The hotel property and rooms are extremely clean and well maintained, with comfortable beds, a great breakfast and of course, location, location, location. Kudos to Jamal and great bartenders Megan and JT and everyone who helped make our stay thoroughly enjoyable. Hopefully our next trip the weather will permit us to make more use of the lovely courtyard and pool area.

Room Tip: Get the largest room you can afford as they run small and on the third flook, 315 and 316 are the ab...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, March 18, 2016
We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay at Hotel le marais during your recent trip to New Orleans. We appreciate you taking the time and sharing your experience with the word through our TripAdvisor community. Once again, thank you for staying at Hotel le marais!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Le Marais for 5 nights including the last two nights of Mardi Gras. The hotel is in a very good location on Conti very close to Bourbon Street but noise was not a problem. The rooms are clean and tidy but quite small. We were able to walk to the Mississippi River, Frenchmans street for the jazz and to the farmers market so location is a major selling point. Breakfast provided is simple but adequate however front desk service was abysmal. As an example, we left a wet pair of trousers at the front desk to be laundered and was told we could pick it up the next day. When we went to collect it, they had no idea where it was. We went back two days later, only to hear that it had been sitting for two days on the floor behind a bench. And not even an apology. I certainly would not let one incident taint my view but given the price paid for the accommodation and several other examples of poor service, the family felt that a poor review was appropriate despite being one of the few I have ever written.

Room Tip: If you are worried about noise, choose a room facing the inner courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Alan_J_S_MELBOURNE
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review for Hotel le marais and sharing your most recent experience. We are very sorry that we weren't able to provide you with the quality of service we strive to provide our guests at all times and we would like to apologize for not meeting your needs. Your comments have been shared with all the team and we have fixed this particular problem and I assure you that if you give Hotel le marais another chance, you won't be disappointed. Thank you so much for choosing us and we hope to see you again.
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

First of all the location was perfect if you want to be in the center of all the action!! We had outside room that was very small, however very clean. Noise on the outside was minimal, but noise on the inside was loud!! Doors slamming, drunk girls coming in the middle of the night sounded like they were in your room! Beds were comfy, bathroom ok, no problems with the shower. The bar staff were friendly. The front desk staff was helpful and Jamal the Bell man was great and a history buff! I think the whole stay was a bit pricey for what you get!!

• Stayed February 2013
druglas, General Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
There is nothing better than to spend your first visit in New Orleans in the heart of the French Quarter as it is Hotel le marais where you are close to many great restaurants and many festivities that you can be part of and enjoy by just walking a few steps. We are glad that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and other amenities that our hotel had to offer. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we can't wait to have a chance to serve you again in the future.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in February 2013. We were lucky enough to get one of the 4 rooms on the 2nd floor with a balcony looking into the courtyard (Note- these are only available on the 2nd and 4th floors). This was very nice, as the rooms are so tiny that you may get a little claustrophobic, so opening the French doors to the balcony made the rooms seem and feel airier.

I arrived at 11 pm on a Sunday night after a long day filled with flight delays and missed connections (I was supposed to arrive at 3:30 pm). The girl working the front desk was extremely unhelpful. The airlines had lost my luggage and I needed to find somewhere (anywhere!) where I could buy a toothbrush and other necessities. She informed me that I'd have to cab 15 to 20 minutes to find anything open that time of night (which I found out the next afternoon was not true). I then told her I was starving having not eaten a real meal since 10 am, and asked if there was room service. She told me that there was not, but that if I walked around the neighborhood, there were a couple of places that served food til 1 am. Mind you, my husband was not able to get the same connection as me and didn't arrive until 1 am into New Orleans, so walking around by myself at night trying to locate food seemed a little scary to me. I walked out the door and found out that the Copper Monkey right next door was still serving food (not good food, but food, nonetheless). So, all's well that ends well, I guess.

The following night, the Airlines located our luggage and delivered it to the hotel at 12:30 am. We had called it a night early because of our exhausting day before, so were already in bed. The front desk (a man this time) called us to let us know it was there. We asked if he would bring it up, and he stated that he would not. So, my husband got dressed and went downstairs. When he got there, the front desk clerk was no where to be seen, so my husband walked in and just took our luggage and bought it upstairs. ANYONE could have taken our luggage. It was sitting in plain site in the lobby with no one around to watch it and the clerk never even called us to ask us if we got it. I guess we got lucky.

Pros:
- Fantastic Location
- Daytime staff is generally helpful and friendly
- Great Location
- Bar on site
- 2 nice bathrobes provided
- Did I mention the location?

Cons:
- TINY rooms
- Nighttime staff is surly at best and VERY unhelpful
- "Free" breakfast is - "You get what you pay for" - Boiled Eggs, (very sugary) yogurt, cereal, make your own toast/bagels, and warmed up frozen sausages
- Badly designed bathrooms with no shower door and no matter how you point the shower head, the floor gets soaked (which is dangerous on the marble tiled floors!)
- Our "message" light stayed on our phone the entire 4 days and they seemed to be at a loss as to how to make it turn off and stop blinking (even though we never had a message)

The bottom line - for $30 more a night you can stay around the corner at the Hotel Monteleone where customer service is a priority and the rooms are bigger and they have a restaurant and no request goes unanswered. So, why wouldn't you?

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd or 4th floor room with a balcony looking into the courtyard
2 Thank LorriKern
I am deeply sorry that we weren't able to provide you with the highest quality of service for which our hotel is known. The service you received is unaceptable and it should have never happened. For that I apologize. When I read your review, my heart dropped. I would really love to speak with you further regarding your stay. Please feel free to contact me at (504) 200-3154 or daffne.ruglas@interstatehotels.com. I hope that this incident doesn't keep you from giving Hotel le marais another chance to meet and exceed your expectations.
Daffne
Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Great hotel. Close to everything, was quiet, nice work out room, comfortable beds!! They leave waters in your room everyday. This is the 3 rd year in a row that we meet friends in NOLA and we all agreed it was an excellent choice for hotel. I would request a courtyard room though. One of the couples faced the street and said it was noisy, but the hotel moved her to another room the next day, so all was good!!! Also great breakfast every morning. Only draw back was no restaurant or even a set up to buy snack foods.... But no biggie really as the location is so good, there is food everywhere outside of hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room, away from elevators.
Reviewed February 24, 2013

A surprise new favorite hotel! We won't be staying anywhere else in NO from now on. I was surprised how well I slept in the heart of the French Quarter. Our room on the 4th floor was extremely comfortable and quiet. Vive was one of our favorite places to have a drink. The fitness room was well appointed. Complimentary breakfast was a bonus. Friendly staff as well.

Room Tip: Book a courtyard room for quietness.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Based on other TA's reviews, we stayed at The Hotel Le Marais for our first visit to New Orleans. From the minute we pulled up to the hotel, everyone went out of their way to welcome us to NO & wanted to know how they could assist us...from suggestions for sightseeing, where to have lunch & even made our dinner reservations at 2 great restaurants.

The hotel is modern, well appointed rooms, fantastic location but more importantly, the staff makes this hotel special. Take advantage of the “welcome drinks” from the lounge & the “understated” breakfast offered each morning>

You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this review, February 21, 2016
Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with the world through our TripAdvisor community. We will definitely pass along your kind words to our team. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our property, which is just a stone's throw away from all the great local attractions that the Crescent City has to offer. Once again, thank you for staying at Hotel le marais.