“Trouble Before Arrival”
Review of Hotel Le Marais

Hotel Le Marais
Ranked #10 of 166 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I booked my room with Hotel Le Marais about a month ago, and I’m scheduled to arrive in a few days.

Today I received a call from them, but I did not answer since I didn’t recognize the number. Of course, after looking up the number, I called back to inquire about the call. Given they left no message, I assumed it was unimportant, and perhaps a courtesy call of some sort. WRONG!

On the contrary, I was informed by two separate people that the hotel was going to be closed on my day of arrival. No explanation was offered; instead I was transferred to someone who could “better help me”. Of course, I’m thinking why would a hotel be closed without warning?
When I finally got in touch with someone who could “better help me”, I was informed the building was going to be closed due to the electricity being out on that day. In the back of my mind, I kept questioning why no message was left to tell me this? Why would you require your guests to do the extra research and work to get this info from you?

Needless to say, when I had someone else call back to make reservations for my already schedule dates, they were told the hotel was overbooked for that day…no, not without power, but overbooked.

I’m looking into other alternatives right now…

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Daniel R
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear Daniel R,

We really appreciate you taking the time to write your most recent experience at Hotel Le Marais in New Orleans. Unfortunately, our hotel had an Electrical Breaker Upgrade on June 27 and this caused us to move our guests to our sister property. I do apologize for the miscommunication given to you and I would like to speak about this issue with you personally. Please feel free to contact me at (504) 200-3154 or at daffne.ruglas@interstatehotels.com. I am really looking forward to get in touch with you. Once again, thank you for your review. Warm Greetings!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

After reading reviews, I was cautious because I had read about the small rooms and the paper thin walls, but when I found a great deal on Hotels.com, I had to take a chance. We had a standard King room. The room size was more than adequate and the bed was probably the best hotel bed I've ever slept in. Location of this hotel is great, right in the center of things and felt very safe even at night. There were only a couple of bumps, but certainly not deal breakers for another trip. The bathroom has a pocket door, but ours didn't slide all the way closed. My husband and I didn't have a problem with this, but if you were staying with someone that wasn't a spouse or very close friend, this might cause a challege. The magnifying mirror in the bathroom was broken and almost fell off the wall, but that wasn't a big deal either. As far as the paper thin walls, I requested a room away from the elevator and we never heard any outside noise. Slept very quietly the entire time. The valet parking was a little harder than I've had at other hotels. The hotel shares a garage with the Royal Sonesta and either the one valet was parking a car, or they don't stay on hand outside this hotel, but it's not marked very clearly about where to go or what to do. I left my husband in the street and went into the hotel where they told me to pull behind a vehicle and wait and several minutes later, someone finally came out to help with our bags. We ended up leaving our vehicle there and hoped that it would get to where it needed to go, which it did and when we were ready to leave, it didn't take anytime to get it back and the gentleman helped with bags and was very nice. So, leaving was definately easier than arriving. All of that being said....this was a VERY nice hotel and the staff was extremely nice and always made up feel welcome each time we left or came back in. We did not get a balcony room as they are very small and don't have chairs on them, but for the deal I got, I was very satisfied with our stay. For future visits to NOLA, I will certainly consider Hotel Le Marais as an option.

Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Dear SJAC67,

Thank you for your most recent stay at Hotel Le Marais in New Orleans. Thank you for your compliments on our "best beds you ever slept in", location, and our extremely nice staff. Also, thank you for telling us about the issues you had as this gives us an opportunity to keep exceeding our guests expectations. Once again, thank you for staying with us and we can't wait to see you again soon. Best Wishes!

Reviewed June 24, 2012

When I hear boutique hotel, I think of small, quaint, but old and run down, Not the case here. Hotel le Marais is modern with cool lighting and friendly staff. Rooms were clean, modern and in very good condition. WiFi is free, fast and easy to connect. Buffet breakfast is free with an adequate spread. One minute walk to all the action on Bourbon Street and down at the riverside, but bring your ear plugs for when you decide to call it a night.
There are a few areas I would mark it down:
1. Bath room - no room for toiletries and door requires a muscle man to open and close it. Shower is only partially screened.
2. There is no dining area, so breakfast needs to be eaten at the bar or in lounge chairs with small coffee tables. Not an easy way to negotiate your bacon and eggs.
3. Hallway is noisy and walls quite thin so you can hear your neighbors coughing and...what not.
4. Pool and court yard area looks nice but we didn't venture out there as it was so hot and there was no shelter.
Overall a good stay, but I think other reviewers on here are looking through rose coloured glasses. A good value for money hotel right in the heart of the french quarter and I would not hesitate to stay here again. Hopefully they consider some of these opportunities for providing their clientelle with an even better experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room which is opposite the lift. You'll be kept awake all night.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2016

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hotel le marais! We are thrilled that were able to enjoy your stay with us during your visit to the Big Easy! We do hope to be of service to you again in the very near future. Once again, thank you very much for choosing Hotel le marais.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We stayed in June for 3 nights; rooms are nice and spotless clean. Location is great and hotel bar and pool are very good. The only thing we were not amazed by was service: we arrived at 2,40 pm and room was not ready, we had to wait until 10 past 3 but had to ask reception 4 times and had the feeling we were annoying him. Not a big deal as everyone else was very nice but not a great first impression either, especially as it is quite pricey. anyway, I would recommend it !

• Stayed: June 2012
Lyndon Y, Front Office Manager at Hotel Le Marais, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2016

Thank you very much for taking the time and sharing your recent experience with the world through our TripAdvisor community. We will definitely pass along your kind words to our team. It is great to hear that you were able to enjoy our property, which is just a stone's throw away from all the great local attractions that the Crescent City has to offer. Once again, thank you for staying at Hotel le marais.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

I found this small, boutique hotel on bookit.com, and was blown away! If you want old-world rustic, then this isn't your place. But if you want urban, chic, new, small, clean, wonderfully comfortable linens and beds, and OUTSTANDING sevice from smiling, happy people, then look no further!

Located on Conti Street, between Bourbon and Royal, you are steps away from the boisterous debauchary of Bourban, and the ritzy arts of Royal. My room was actually on Conti, and in spite of it's central location, it was quite and comfortable. Valet Parking is just immediately across the street at the Royal Sonesta parking garage.

I give this property my highest recommendation, and I will return many times!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 19, 2012

This was our first trip to NOLA and I did a lot of research on TA about hotels. Hotel Le Marais did not disappoint - the location was perfect, in the middle of everything yet not noisy and ridiculous like on Bourbon Street, even though it was a few steps to the corner of Conti and Bourbon. Our room was a nice size, enjoyed the modern decor and the room was great with a REALLY comfy bed, although the water from the shower gets all over the floor due to the very short little glass wall - if it was extended a couple of inches that would easily solve the problem.

The only thing that wasn't 100% for me was the continental breakfast, but then again it's free so you really can't complain. There wasn't a ton of selection and the bagels were stale one day. We ended up eating out for breakfast half the time anyway, since there are so many good places nearby.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had them call us a cab one day to arrive at 8:50 since we had to pick up our rental car at 9, and at 9:05 the cab still hadn't come. The guy from the front desk actually ran into the middle of Bourbon trying to flag one down for us, so he definitely went out of his way to solve the issue.

I would definitely stay here again if we come to New Orleans!

Room Tip: Facing the courtyard is very quiet
3  Thank phl5110

Dear phl5110,

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Went here when visiting my brother in New Orleans. Not a bad place at all, price was good considering I had to sleep somewhere other than his place.

Room Tip: Book Ahead
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family