“Not your typical activity”

Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium
Ranked #28 of 381 things to do in New Orleans
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Audubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium, located in the U.S. Custom House on Canal Street, encourages you to use all five senses as you explore North America’s largest museum devoted to insects and their relatives. You’ll discover why insects are the building blocks of all life on our planet and along the way, you’ll be shrunk to bug size; wander through a mysterious Louisiana swamp; join the active audience of an awards show for bugs, by bugs; and be captivated by thousands of butterflies in an Asian garden. Voted A top museum for you and your kids by CNN, 2009.
Useful Information: Activities for young children
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My daughters really enjoyed all the different insect and butterfly exhibits. The real highlights were the Japanese butterfly garden and the Terminix insect movie.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,148)
All reviews
in 34 reviews
"gift shop"
in 27 reviews

Reviewed July 2, 2014

We visited here on Father's Day, and fathers got in free, so it was a bonus for my husband! The exhibit is very good, including the Butterfly Garden, and a cute cartoon show, where you are a part of the action, meaning you get water sprayed on you and your seat rumbles and shakes. It is well done, and the baby alligators were there, as well as several tour guides discussing various aspects of bug life. Our nephews and nieces had just visited, and so we went on their recommendation, and we were happy with our decision! If you are there with children, I would suggest getting the full meal deal; that is get a ticket for the aquarium, Imax, and Insectarium, and also consider the Audubon Zoo too, if you have the time. Who says New Orleans can't be a family vacation place!

Reviewed June 27, 2014 via mobile

This was ok very small, this is also inside a federal building, so you must go through scan to enter, you can try the insects cooked but only during the shows only twice a day, don't eat at the cafe very expensive and did not have half of what they show on the menu. The insects tast very good if you go try them.

Reviewed June 27, 2014

The insectarium was a new experince for my family. WE thought they were going to have tons of bugs for us to hold and that was it. We were wrong. The museum had types of bugs living examples of them and a lot of information on them. One of our favorite exibits was the one one the ants, they had an ant farm and put a whole bunch of oats at the botto and the aunts carried the oats up the branch and into the farm and you could see where they were going. They also had a bug tasting which was cool. It was not just a cooked bug they were in dips and spreads. You could not even tell tou were eating them. We loved the butterfly garden filled with butterflys of all sizes and if you stay really still they will land on you. My daughter was the only person in the garden to get the aqua blue butterfly to land on her. We had a great vist. The audubon attractions are very nice, clean, and infomative.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Out of all the places we went to, my daughter looked forward to this place the most, because of the butterflies. I am not really into bugs, they really freak me out. I don't want to see them at all, but I was a good sport for her. I was really impressed with the place. They have live bugs and bugs that have been preserved, and you can pet some of the bugs. They have an underground area that was neat, there is a huge fake spider that pops out. They also let you taste some bugs... No one in my family was that adventurous, but my sister in law, niece, and nephew, all tried a sample. They said it wasn't too bad. The best part was the butterfly area. There were butterflies of all sizes and colors everywhere. We saw a bunch of chrysalises, lined up in groups of different species, and saw some emerging. When we left, we saw one of the workers releasing some of the new butterflies into the butterfly garden. This place was really cool, while simultaneously creeping me out.