“BED BUGS - Horrific Service and Treatment”

Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter
Ranked #77 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Pittsburgh, United States
“BED BUGS - Horrific Service and Treatment”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

My Girlfriend, her friend and myself all stayed at this Courtyard earlier this year. All three of us slept in the room this evening. When we woke up all of us noticed small bite marks on different parts of our body. After getting a shower and getting into the car I slowly realized just how many bites I had on the drive back home. I was covered in bug bites. The bites were large and swollen on me and little concentrated red ones on my girlfriend. I checked my body when I got home and found 35+ bites on my scalp, eyelid, forehead, arms, legs, back, chest, and so on. Due to the severity of the bites and my swollen eye I went to the doctor who confirmed that these were bites and most likely bed bug bites due to the pattern of the bites and the location where I got them. I brought this to the manager’s attention at the hotel that proceeded to get the room checked for evidence; he called to tell me that they checked the room and did not find any trace of bedbugs. The manager I spoke with kept blaming it on bugs outside in the streets. I explained that we were no where else to get the bites and that when we entered the room no one had any bites and 8 hours later when we woke up all three of us had the same bites. I further explained that they could be fleas or something but something in the room bit all of us in an extreme manner. The manager was no help and was accusatory. I eventually got put in touch with a claims department who’s customer service was even worse than the manager at the hotel. I explained that I am a platinum member and have never filed a claim or made a formal complaint before and I stay in Marriott hotels over 200+ nights a year for 4 years now. I was still treated like a liar. No manager would ever show me proof that the room was checked and cleared of bed bugs. I forwarded the claims department photos of both my bites and my girlfriend’s bites along with a doctors bill and prescription bills for the visit after the hotel stay. I was refused any payment for my belongings that I discarded before getting back to my home. In the end Marriott treated me horrible. The management staff refused to pay for the bag that I had to throw out and the change of clothes that we threw out. I wanted my experience to be heard so that future customers can no what to expect from Marriott regarding their handling of a situation such as this. Keep in mind that I am a high level Platinum Elite member and this is how I was treated. Imagine if how they would treat someone with no status at this company.

Room Tip: Check the mattresses for signs of bugs
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank wyn123678
Athena J, Manager at Courtyard New Orleans Downtown Near the French Quarter, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
"Thank you for your review. I am the Assistant General Manager at the Courtyard. We have the greatest concern and respect for every guest’s experience and Marriott takes hotel hygiene and cleanliness very seriously. As a result, Marriott has established very strict standards of cleanliness for all hotels that either meet or exceed public health department regulations, including pest control. On a regular basis we have a licensed laboratory check our hotels for pest control, cleaning, sanitizing and food safety handling to insure the highest levels of cleanliness in our hotels. The latest assessment performed by this third party clears the hotel of pests. I can make it available to you in this special situation.

We strive to have every guest leave with a positive impression of our city and hotel. I apologize that your stay and subsequent treatment did not meet your expectations and I would be happy to speak further with you about the issue. Please provide contact information privately or contact me directly at 504-581-9005 ext 4109.”

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
Savannah, GA
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and I visited New Orleans for our anniversary. The hotel was near the French quarter and walking distance to other attractions. The hotel was clean and the staff were helpful. We were near canal street that consisted of shopping, eating, and the streetcar. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I stayed at the Courtyard near the French Quarter for a Girls' Weekend. I originally wanted to stay in a B&B for a more authentic New Orleans experience, but we opted to stay at the Marriott because my friend was able to get a good rate and because we didn't want to risk staying somewhere without a good A/C. I think we made a good choice for what we neede

The hotel is in a great location in the French Quarter. There's a huge lobby and breakfast/bar area which always smelled so good (weird, but I noticed every time we came back in). Service was okay, not great. They helped get cabs and with directions, but seemed a bit put out and they didn't go out of their way by any means. We were also little disappointed that they weren't serving either time we tried to grab something quick from the bar area.

The room itself was what we expected. Big, clean, and a working TV & air conditioning. Exactly what we were looking for! I also used the gym while I was there. It's small but clean and has a decent selection of equipment. There's a whirlpool in the room next door, though I didn't use it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cindonesia
Northwest Arkansas
Reviewed July 31, 2012 via mobile

Everyone we met that worked here provided great service. Sherita went above & beyond looking for my car keys & getting them returned to me.
The location is great, road construction nearby on Canal made getting to the hotel difficult, but once we were there, the service was very good & friendly. My sister locked herself out & her husband had gone off with the other key, the young lady at the front desk recognized her and replaced her card so quickly we couldn't believe it.

• Stayed July 2012
Chestnut Ridge, New York
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Just the right distance from French Quarter, Burbon St, River Walk, Convention Center, and Superdome. Walking distance or inexpensive cab ride to any of these. Free Internet Sevice was nice amenity. Lobby decor is very nice, comfortable seating, and ample space for waiting or greeting others. Staff was cordial but valet/doorman was unattentive at best. Hotel and room was clean. Room was small but comfortable with small fridge and coffee - no safe. Bed/bedding was comfortable. Housekeeping knocked on the door at 8am EVERY morning... not cool when you're on vacation!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nufi1117
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is nice and in a great location but the staff was just rude. I have stayed here twice and each time the valet attendant and front desk staff have just been rude. The first time I stayed the I had to leave early in the morning. I called the front desk to send for my car. The valet guy brought the wrong car and took his time to go get my car so I was late getting on the road. The next time I stayed I had to leave early again. The girl at grave yard shift at the front desk would never answer the phone so I had to go downstairs and ask for my car. She was had an attitude and said she was in the back. So rude. Like I said the hotel is nice but the staff was just rude. Good customer service really goes a long way.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Jamie S
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This hotel was perfect for our stay in New Orleans near the French quarter. The rooms were a good size, clean, and the lobby was spacious, modern and well-kept. I'd highly recommend this hotel. The front desk clerk was very accommodating and helpful and the bell hop was great at providing trolley information. There is no pool and we did not try out the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family