“More garbadge”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #149 of 165 Hotels in New Orleans
Reviewed July 5, 2004

This is an update to this terrable place. We tried to get a refund from them and they totally lied to our credit card company. They said we were repeat customers which is a surprise to me since I have never been there before. They also said their place has safe doors on all rooms. Big joke!!! Their doors are hollow core doors with cabinit handles on them. I could go on about how bad they are but since I am out of over 1,000.00 on my charge card you can relate how bad this place is.

2  Thank packratt
There are newer reviews for Empress Hotel

mpls, MN
Reviewed April 5, 2004

unless you are demented you will hate this place .most of the people staying here just got off the greyhound and rent by the week/month . It is filthy -long black hairs everwhere and it also has bugs . The bathrooms are so vile I would not use it .the sheets are so gross , icky and stained . the carpet is filthy as well . this place reminds me of a flop house for the mentally ill and dangerous. seriously it is that bad and the neighborhood is worse ! I slept with one eye open and all my clothes on and would never of done that except they keep your first nights deposit, and my husband is 6 4 and 250. there are places to stay for not alot more , sun and moon is a great place and only 85.( its nearby ) DONT stay here .

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 2, 2004

We found this place on line and the pictures on the website looked fine - so we booked it. We were very suprised when we arrived. The cab driver told us not to walk in the neighborhood at night and the buildings on either side of the hotel had broken windows and looked condemned. The lobby area was filthy and our room did not have a doorknob - you could only open the door using your key as a handle. The room itself was filthy and reeked of cigarette smoke. The toilet did not have a lid and the seat was barely attached - in fact, I did not even use it, I figured it was safer to use a restaurant bathroom. This was not a hotel - it was a flop house. We only stayed long enough to find another hotel. When we checked out, we were charged for the first night even though we had only been there for about 2 hours. We payed cash and the clerk tried to say we hadn't and we had to fight to get our cash back. And then they charged our credit card anyway!! This was a fight that we eventually gave up. Oh - and 2 blocks....hah! Try again. It is cheap, but not worth it. We ended up staying in the Chateau Dupre on Decatur for a few nights - this was a beautiful place.
And we stayed our last few nights at the Rue Royal Inn which was very charming, but had lots of stairs. I would highly recommend either one of those hotels.

• Stayed: July 2001
3  Thank tristemere
Sioux Falls, SD
Reviewed January 18, 2004

I found the Empress Hotel on a billboard at the Greyhound Station. The sign indicated that the rates were inexpensive and very close to the Quarter. I took the bus to the corner of Rampart Street and Ursulines and easily walked the 2 blocks to the Hotel with no problems. The first night I stayed in a "large", the second night, a "small". The absolute only difference was the amount of space around the bed. I found the place completely acceptable... much better, in terms of cleanliness, than most of the more expensive "economy" places I had stayed in other cities. There was a private bath, air conditioning, color television...
what more do you need, really. There was no phone but the desk clerk was more than willing to let me use the phone at the desk whenever I needed it. The only issue I had was that I was planning to stay for several nights, and wasn't permitted to make reservations for the entire stay with the front desk. I was told I would have to to re-register every morning. One day, I left early to go get some breakfast and came back to find my bags had been packed and stored (for some nominal fee) and I had lost the small key deposit. No problem, I got my bags and re-checked in. I did lose my contacts, but that's my fault for leaving them in the ashtray. Bottom line, it's an unbelieveably cheap place to sleep. If you are in New Orleans, what are you doing hanging out in your hotel room all day anyway.

• Stayed: March 2001
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stillwater, OK
Reviewed January 16, 2004

Where do I begin? 3 of my girlfriends and I planned a trip to New Orleans for Spring Break of 2003. (we're college students) I found this place on the internet and after showing the website to them we all agreed it would be an OK place to stay. So we drive the 12 hours to New Orleans and get to the hotel around 10pm. We actually got lost en route to the Empress, but called the hotel and a friendly voice on the other end guided us to our destination. Unfortunately, the parking lot was being repaved or something when we arrived, but there was a space on the street nearby in front of the hotel and we felt safe enough to park there because the hotel is always lit up at night. (The next day we were able to move our car into the parking lot). So two of us go to check in and we had a few problems. Unfortunately, I didn't tell them we were going to have four people so that changed the pricing. The three girls were freaking out because we were on a very tight budget, but fortunately I brought more than enough so I paid the extra and we checked in. The staff was friendly enough to give us extra bedding so two of us could sleep on the floor. Our room was very no frills, but pretty much what I expected. It was a small room with a small bathroom and tv, but clean. The air conditioner didn't work, but we mentioned it to the front desk and we had a new room the next morning.
Unfortunately, there was no phone in the room so I had to use the one in the lobby when I wanted to call. And you have to pay 25 cents for a bucket of ice so bring your quarters! :) One excellent thing is the hotel staff. The night we arrived, one of the guys was nice enough to take us to the French Quarter and show us around after he got off work.
(We called him Tourguide John from then on). Another nice thing is the balcony. We spent a few hours a night out there just hanging out until it was time to go out. We got to know alot of the other guests that way. All in all, my friends and I had an excellent time in New Orleans thanks in part to the hotel staff at the Empress.

Portland, OR
Reviewed November 11, 2003

The hotel really isn't THAT bad, for what you pay. The staff was super nice, the floors were clean enough to walk on without shoes, and the toilet flushed. What more can you ask for $89 a nite? I was not at all uncomfortable walking to the hotel at 3 in the morning, all the neighborhood residents that I encountered (at that hour and all other times, too) were friendly, and asked if I was having a pleasant stay.
If you are going to New Orleans to party, you probably don't plan to spend much time in your room anyway, and the Empress IS within walking distance of the French Quarter. I will say that the bed was broken, for real, and the air conditioner didn't seem to work right. When the neighbor flushed their toilet, my friend got scalded in the shower. If you want a ritzy room, prepare to pay for it and book somewhere else.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2003

They actually charged us for a large room. When we saw our friends room which actually was somewhat large (at least compared to our 9x9 room) we confronted the manager about it. She claimed it was a large room. We thought it was a waste of time & maybe they did consider it lg-who knows. Upon checkout the thing we signed listed it as a small room!!!
She said she could not refund us the extra $$$. Also, bring your own blankets! I found a band aid in our bed. When we told the lady she laughed it off. Gross. Our carpeted floor was CONSTANTLY sopping wet.
Thi9s was a disgusting place and a rip off. I am booking a hotel for $120 a night happily to steer clear of places like that.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded January 8, 2004

We are not the Hilton, nor do we advertise that we are. We are strictly an economy hotel which offers clean rooms with free parking, color tv's in every room, full private baths including tubs, and complimentary coffee served on the balcony every morning. Our rates are extraordinarily reasonable and for a small hotel located 2 blocks from the famous French Quarter $25-$50 ( excluding special events) is a bonanza to the budget-minded traveler. We do have a wonderful following of satisfied guests who offer us great referrals. We believe that every guest is offered a fair exchange. And the only difference in our less expensive rooms is the size. Our neighborhood, which is called Treme, is adjacent to the French Quarter and the Empress is located two blocks to the border which is the famous Rampart St. ( Basin St. ). Three other hotels ( the French Quarter Suites, French Quarter Courtyard, and the New Orleans Guesthouse) are located within these two blocks and their rates are double and triple if not quadruple our rates. Our federal government is investing more than $20 million in Treme as we speak.