“would not refund our money,”
Review of Empress Hotel

Empress Hotel
Ranked #147 of 162 Hotels in New Orleans
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“would not refund our money,”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

we saw they were on the bedbug list, and I cancelled our room,we booked another hotel thru Trip advisor. they would not refund our money. we went by this place to talk to manager, said tuff luck.guess Ill see them in court

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank G C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Southfield, Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Our room was dirty and the bathtub was clogged, so every time we took showers the tub filled up. The air conditioner didn't work well at all. Lots of creepy people, and hourly room renters. Not a very good neighborhood to be walking in, either. To top it all off, things were stolen from our room while we were out on the town... Next trip, I will definitely be using air bnb rather than getting an expensive hotel or settling for trash like the empress.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank hannaho447

Travelers are raving about these New Orleans hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 28, 2014

This place was not the best hotel but it was not the worst. I was told about the hookers and run down dump it was but was pleasantly surprised. The staff is wonderful knows what customers service is all about. Yes the place is old and needs work, but the maintenance men were doing that. Great people great experience for the price. Thank you all for making our time in New Orleans great.

• Stayed February 2014
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2014

My mom and I stayed here in March 2011 over spring break. It was the right price but we learned our lesson. It's not in a good part of town and the parking lot was extremely small and hard to find a place to park.

When we checked in the lady at the desk seemed to be vacant and unobservant. The room we were stayed in was small and dirty and you couldn't even see out the even smaller and dirtier window. The TV didn't work and the bathrooms barely fit one person. This is definitely a place you just stay at to sleep - NOT to enjoy a relaxing night at the hotel. There were roaches and it was difficult to get extra pillows or towels.

We learned out lesson staying here and will not be doing that again.

Room Tip: Dont even try.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Jessica H
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I had to stay 1 night in this horrible hotel since my other hotel was booked up for that night. What a nightmare. Dirty, filthy place. No service. Had no toilet paper and the night clerk was not about to give me any until I told her I demanded to speak with the owner and wrote for trip advisor. The bed was horrible and only had a fitted sheet. Had to ask for a top sheet. I was scared of this place. They wanted money for ice. There was just so much wrong here that I couldn't possibly list it all. There was only 1 staff member who was friendly and deserved a mention and a medal for working in this dump. I only wish I had his name. The rest of the staff was horrible. The whole place is horrible. If I could have...looking back I would have rather slept in my car.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
10 Thank reno876
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This place gave me the worst experience I could ever imagine! Stayed here with a group of people. Felt somewhat unsafe on the long walk to the quarter at night time because no one really walks around that area. My AC in the window didn't work the whole time we were there, leaving the room humid and hot. One of my group members room had a stopped up toilet for the entire stay. The first night there was okay, but the second night was horrible. My group came back the second night to find that here room was left open and things were stolen from her bag that someone had obviously went through. My room was not missing anything ( probably because there was nothing of value) but the door was left unlocked. We called the police and filed a report and were told word for word by the police "I would suggest you don't stay here again because this kind of thing happens a lot here". He continued to say that we were lucky the last night we walked to the quarter because many people in that area get robbed at gun/knife point no matter how big the group is.....

Don't stay north of rampart!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
9 Thank amanda m
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

A absolute dump! Taxi cab driver said this is where the prostitutes go! Do not stay here at all! The rooms had a window unit and small 8x10 tvs. I was drunk and still slept on top of my own blanket and left the blanket there when we left!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends